Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

[youtubehq]Hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VWc3IO0P8E[/youtubehq]
I like this clip because you can actually hear the crowd reacting as they receive the news of Mubarak stepping down. I'm not going to pretend to know where Egypt is headed ... but it's got to mean something on a human level when you here Bolton say "that is the cry of freedom".

Viva la liberte
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
I like what Obama said, you don't see this kind of thing every day. This is quite a historic moment we're living through.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I like what Obama said, you don't see this kind of thing every day. This is quite a historic moment we're living through.
yeah just like when Obama was elected, on the banner of "hope and change" ( fuck they even gave him a nobel prize for hope), people were emotional and thought a bright new world had emerged. Then reality sat in and things couldn't be worse.

Gunna be the same thing in Egypt, everyone is crying over their "victory" and new found "freedom", yet reality is, they probably just went from the frying pan into the fire, just like the US.
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

lowing wrote:

Then reality sat in and things couldn't be worse.
lol
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Reciprocity wrote:

lowing wrote:

lol
Sill in Afghanistan, still in Iraq, everything you despised about Bush os still US policy now, add to it an even greater and deeper deficit and govt. intervention. So if you disagree and think that Obama is shining beacon of light, please, do tell.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
lol
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

lowing wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

lowing wrote:

lol
Sill in Afghanistan, still in Iraq, everything you despised about Bush os still US policy now, add to it an even greater and deeper deficit and govt. intervention. So if you disagree and think that Obama is shining beacon of light, please, do tell.
You forgot about the patriot act.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Kmar wrote:

lowing wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

lol
And closing Gitmo.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

FOAD.
You guys (well, some) are the one's that didn't want this happening. There was only one way you were gonna stop it. Shit. Don't get mad at me when I say it as it is. The US has a monopoly on violence with countries like this. So it could do it. Not that it wouldn't hurt massively. But if people hold views like Brinson about the hegemony and keeping dictators in power, and the people down. For the sake of the nation. Then they should be able to put that sort of talk into action.

I'm all eyes and ears for a country trying to build an empire, they can try. I'd like to see how well it would go.
Christ, you have to be trolling. You can't possibly be this stupid.
Nope.

There's many people out there with the view that the US needs to do everything within its power to keep the status quo. To keep certain people/countries where they belong. No matter what, as long as it keeps the US standing good. Which is fundamentally a reasonable (but crazy, evil, hellish) standpoint for someone in any country to have. It's more realistic for people in the US than most others, because it can do it.

All I'm saying is how it is for the people who hold opinions like that. It means war, lots of it. I don't know why you guys are getting so uncomfortable/defensive about it. That's how it is. You can't get your empire/hegemony without being crazy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

lowing wrote:

lol
It takes more than two years to change anything at all, at least he didn't start any of this crap, or make it worse.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER

lowing wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Gunna be the same thing in Egypt, everyone is crying over their "victory" and new found "freedom", yet reality is, they probably just went from the frying pan into the fire, just like the US.
Even if it is possible. All you come across as is a whining butthurt bitter old man

I think this is bigger than all the nonsense surrounding Obama, the US is stuck in its two party system and nothing big will ever happen there. So you can't really compare it.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

So who exactly gets control now? Is Suleiman in charge? Are they gonna hold special elections? I guess it's good that asshat is no longer in power but now there seems to be a vacuum.
Currently led by a military council and the armed forces, who will be working on the democratization process in the (near) future. Election promised in September.

Last edited by Jenspm (2011-02-12 04:14:17)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

11.04am: There are protests today in Yemen and Algeria, inspired by the Egyptian and Tunisian revolutions.

Thousands of demonstrators in the Yemeni capital Sana have clashed with government supporters. The protesters chanted: "The people want the fall of the government. A Yemeni revolution after the Egyptian revolution."

Human Rights Watch said the authorities detained 10 anti-government protesters amid celebrations over Mubarak's departure last night.

The group said the protest turned violent when hundreds of men armed with knives, sticks, and assault rifles attacked the protesters as security forces stood by.

"The Yemeni security forces have a duty to protect peaceful protesters," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. "In this case, security forces seem to have organized armed men to attack the protesters."

Meanhile in Algeria, thousands of riot police have been deployed in the capital, Algiers, to stop an anti-government demonstration from gathering momentum.

Organisers of the anti-government march say several thousand people have gathered in the city centre. About 50 protesters managed to reach the square where the protest was due to take place but they were surrounded by hundreds of police and some were arrested, Reuters reported.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/20 … ts#block-4
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

Mekstizzle wrote:

lowing wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Even if it is possible. All you come across as is a whining butthurt bitter old man

I think this is bigger than all the nonsense surrounding Obama, the US is stuck in its two party system and nothing big will ever happen there. So you can't really compare it.
Indeed. Comparing the current situation in Egypt to the US is like comparing apples with oranges.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA
Didn't compare, I said they were probably going from the frying pan to the fire, IE their own frying pan into their own fire, nothing to do with our problems. The only comparison I waas trying to make was the sense of euphoria that the US felt after the election. Turned out to be more of the same bullshit

The military is now in control, does that really sound like freedom and victory and improvement to you?

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-12 06:31:47)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

lowing wrote:

And closing Gitmo.
we don't have the patriot act anymore? Or Gitmo? really? when did that happen?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

FOAD.
You guys (well, some) are the one's that didn't want this happening. There was only one way you were gonna stop it. Shit. Don't get mad at me when I say it as it is. The US has a monopoly on violence with countries like this. So it could do it. Not that it wouldn't hurt massively. But if people hold views like Brinson about the hegemony and keeping dictators in power, and the people down. For the sake of the nation. Then they should be able to put that sort of talk into action.

I'm all eyes and ears for a country trying to build an empire, they can try. I'd like to see how well it would go.
stfu if you have no input.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I saw something very similar in 1979.

I also saw an Iranian protest that obozo had no interest in. I always wondered why he didn't show any kind of moral support or interest in that but is salivating over this as is the media. They didn't seem to care when saddam fell, Except for bill mahr.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Mekstizzle wrote:

lowing wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Far from bitter, and wayyy far from buthurt. Again I was comparing the euphoria after a "victory" I think it will be a pipe dream, just like it was for our "hope and change".

I think you know that that is what I meant.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio

Kmar wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Kmar wrote:

A monopoly eh? Who went in and drew the borders in the first place? Fucking British colonialism forcing hated groups to try and live in harmony. Please, as if the hands of the crown are clean.
Yeah, I'm talking about right now, where the US has a monopoly of violence (and probably economy) on the entire region and could reinstall a friendly dictator if it really wanted to. Like alot of people on here want. Brinson has already said it pretty unapologetically that he'd take that. All I was saying was, go on then.

British colonialism created the US too. But it's largely irrelevant in the discussion taking place, I don't really get your point?
My point was failed European colonialism during the 19th and beginning of the 20th century still, to this day, has an impact on what is going on in the ME.
hahahaha you shut mekbunny up.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio

Mekstizzle wrote:

You guys (well, some) are the one's that didn't want this happening.
who?  got any names (lets just start at 1000 people for now)?  examples?

no of course you do not.  which is why your babble in this thread makes people think you have the mental capacity of a bird.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

11 Bravo wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah, I'm talking about right now, where the US has a monopoly of violence (and probably economy) on the entire region and could reinstall a friendly dictator if it really wanted to. Like alot of people on here want. Brinson has already said it pretty unapologetically that he'd take that. All I was saying was, go on then.

British colonialism created the US too. But it's largely irrelevant in the discussion taking place, I don't really get your point?
My point was failed European colonialism during the 19th and beginning of the 20th century still, to this day, has an impact on what is going on in the ME.
hahahaha you shut mekbunny up.
No he didn't, I just ignored him because he was being too irrelevant.

11 Bravo wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You guys (well, some) are the one's that didn't want this happening.
who?  got any names (lets just start at 1000 people for now)?  examples?

no of course you do not.  which is why your babble in this thread makes people think you have the mental capacity of a bird.
The usual suspects
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Nope.

There's many people out there with the view that the US needs to do everything within its power to keep the status quo. To keep certain people/countries where they belong. No matter what, as long as it keeps the US standing good. Which is fundamentally a reasonable (but crazy, evil, hellish) standpoint for someone in any country to have. It's more realistic for people in the US than most others, because it can do it.

All I'm saying is how it is for the people who hold opinions like that. It means war, lots of it. I don't know why you guys are getting so uncomfortable/defensive about it. That's how it is. You can't get your empire/hegemony without being crazy.
A) We don't have an empire so you can stop quoting Lenin. We don't fit inside of your Leninist world view. Sorry.

B) The primary reason any country anywhere in the world wishes to have stability is because stability is necessary for trade. The Middle East just happens to have the poor luck to be sitting on the worlds largest deposits of what we in the industrialized world require for our societies to function, oil. This doesn't make us evil. This doesn't make oil evil either. It's just a fact of life. If the price of oil were to fluctuate all over the place because of disrupted production or war or whatever else that also means the prices of every other good we purchase would fluctuate with it. You can't have economic growth without stability. They are reliant on one another. So, if that means my country promotes stability as its foreign policy I'm all for it. If the people living in the regions find their governments intolerable, they can either rise up like Egyptians and Tunisians did (neither of which possesses oil) or they can move. I'm not going to shed any tears for people living in oppressive nations because it's their own choice. They're adults and possess free will.

If we were empire building we would've invaded Venezuela and kicked out Chavez. Or we would've annexed Mexico or any number of other things. So fuck off with that imperialistic America bullshit. The only time we've ever been guilty of that is when we fought the Spanish in 1898 and took over the Philippines and Cuba (neither of which we possess today).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

stfu if you have no input.
Bitch, please. The day you have an intellectual thought is the day that Jesus comes riding down from the heavens on a velociraptor to destroy the heathens.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such

Kmar wrote:

Yeah, Britain fucked up:
Middle East
South Africa
Far East.

Go us!
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard