AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

EVieira wrote:

La Nina is even harder to prove than global warming...
No it isn't. It was predicted we'd enter La Nina at this point in time when we were still in the El Niño cycle.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6497|so randum

EVieira wrote:

Um, no. It's one of the more well-known and documented climatic patterns in the world.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

FYI... It's to do with La Nina
It's not all to do with La Nina (although this is a staggeringly powerful one), there are other factors in play too. Although obviously that's the dominating factor.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6145|'straya

EVieira wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I blame global cooling.
Increased rain/snow is an expected consequence of climate change.....
Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not...

In Pictures: Flood ravaged Brazil

Brazil flood deaths rise to 375

What makes it much more deadly in Brazil is that the region where its flooding is a hilly area, so sudden landslides just bury people alive.

While looking for news on Brazil, found this too:

Australia's floods a glimpse of warmer future
Hilly areas + landslides + densely populated + poor house/construction = large death toll. Its pretty devastating, can't even imagine what it would be like.
BVC
+325|6692
Thats been all over the news, looks like lots of large areas have been hit, glad it didn't turn out worse than it has.  How bad is it at present?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6219|Brisneyland
It has effected 75% of Queensland, and is spreading to NSW as well. People seem to be in good spirits, and are volunteering to help strangers. This might not last forever though as the cleanup will be massive and take months. Emergency services did a very good job so far. Food is in short supply in smaller towns, but once the roads open up this should become less of a problem.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

I hope our aussie brethren is ok. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to whoop your asses in the next Olympics
There is a joke about swimming there but I'll leave it alone.

Stay safe.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
EVieira
+105|6475|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not...

In Pictures: Flood ravaged Brazil

Brazil flood deaths rise to 375

What makes it much more deadly in Brazil is that the region where its flooding is a hilly area, so sudden landslides just bury people alive.

While looking for news on Brazil, found this too:

Australia's floods a glimpse of warmer future
Hilly areas + landslides + densely populated + poor house/construction = large death toll. Its pretty devastating, can't even imagine what it would be like.
Its really terrible, the body count is over 500 now.  But just to put something in perspective here, this is no densely populated poor house construction  area. For the most part, these were middle class homes.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
EVieira

FatherTed wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Um, no. It's one of the more well-known and documented climatic patterns in the world.
La Niña and El Niño are well documented and researched, just as is global warming. But the rainfall pattern for this summer is much higher than any previous La Niña/El Niño event. Its just as hard to proove La Nina is responsible for this as global warming.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

2010 was a pretty hot year. Tie for the warmest on record according to NOAA
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 … record.ars
Xbone Stormsurgezz
EVieira
To add to how bad the weather is, last month the floods hit Venezuela and Colombia:

Floods in Colombia affect 2 million people – UNITAR mobilises UNOSAT mapping

Venezuela floods - Estimated deaths in the thousands

Thats some La Niña...

Edited for link fix.

Last edited by EVieira (2011-01-14 04:11:16)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Your Venezuela link is dead. I've been to Caracas, and if only 25 people are dead due to flooding it is a miracle.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
EVieira

Kmar wrote:

Your Venezuela link is dead. I've been to Caracas, and if only 25 people are dead due to flooding it is a miracle.
You're right. Got a new link, the death tool was in the thousands. Its just so much mud that they will probably never really know the actual number.

Venezualan Floods wrote:

"I don't even want to be here, but I have to be," said Lucia, the supervisor in a children's toys and clothes shop called Comic's Mania. "My brother escaped the disaster by a miracle and my husband is a rescue worker - I'm feeling really low." Her husband, a mountaineer and hang-gliding fanatic, saved a six-month-old baby that was buried up to its neck in mud. The rest of the family has not been found, she says.
Gamematt
Stocking ur medpacks
+135|6659|Groningen, The Netherlands
Why are you talking about a flood 10 years ago? It may be horrible but not really what this is about.
EVieira

Gamematt wrote:

Why are you talking about a flood 10 years ago? It may be horrible but not really what this is about.
Sorry, my first link was dead so I posted a new one, but from the wrong flood. Here is a good one of the right disaster:

http://www.demotix.com/news/532604/cara … -venezuela
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6219|Brisneyland
Big thanks to the USA!!!

Oprahs trip to Australia has screened in the US with an intro about the floods in Australia. As a consequence the Flood relief fund has increased by about $20million in one day.
That will help a lot of  people in Oz.
Good job America.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
Wow, that's awesome! The other day they said donations had reduced dramatically in Australia after initial contributions were quite high.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6351
Is it true that They have had worse and  deeper floods in the past ?

Is it also true that they had relaxed Anti Flood Precautions after listening to " Drought Predictions ! " from the people who used to tell us

" the Earth is Warming " ?

Where can we donate BTW ?

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-19 11:58:31)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6351

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I blame global cooling.
I wish once some one would say. " Sorry we were wrong It is not getting Warmer "

It would be a big step in trying to sell " Climate change. "
I heard the Ice Caps on Mars have lost overall area too. Anyone know what that's about ?

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-19 12:04:38)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Is it also true that they had relaxed Anti Flood Precautions after listening to " Drought Predictions ! " from the people who used to tell us

Where can we donate BTW ?
This was going to be the worst on record but it ended up coming in slightly lower than the 1974 floods. It of course affected a lot more people due to population growth over the past 36 years, and as a result the financial damage is massive - probably the worst in Australian history. I heard on the radio the other day it's estimated somewhere between $10 - $30 billion, but they said it's very, very hard to make a good estimate as there are so many factors to consider. So I'd guess at this stage the true figure would lie somewhere between those two numbers.

To donate, go to this link - http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Correct on both counts.

You see the floods in 74' were the worst on record. And thought to be a once in 100 year occourance.

However, with the more severe weather patterns of the last decade or so, we've had another one.

Are you enjoying the record level highs and lows in America at the moment?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/nyreg … ummer.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6033CJ20100104

2010 seems like it was pretty extreme on both ends of the scale... Hows this year looking so far for New York in terms of cold weather?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California
Aussies are using sex dolls as rafts.

Ingenuity
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Well what do you use them for?
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6508|Gold Coast
For those that dont come to the AU Chats:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/20406/15012011098.jpg

Me doing my part by standing around.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Burwhale wrote:

Big thanks to the USA!!!

Oprahs trip to Australia has screened in the US with an intro about the floods in Australia. As a consequence the Flood relief fund has increased by about $20million in one day.
That will help a lot of  people in Oz.
Good job America.
Anything to help the koalas.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard