ATC
+58|6749|...
I agree with agamemnar. This game is very addicting, some of you guys need to just take a break. And even more of you guys need to get a life.
Torin
+52|6697
I just don't see where people get off judging others on the basis of generalizations at best. Yeah, the game is addicting, how do you know people don't take breaks from it though? How do you know people don't have lives? I mean, you judge people on completely baseless assumptions from your high horse, as if you actually knew the truth of the matter.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6672

Torin wrote:

I just don't see where people get off judging others on the basis of generalizations at best. Yeah, the game is addicting, how do you know people don't take breaks from it though? How do you know people don't have lives? I mean, you judge people on completely baseless assumptions from your high horse, as if you actually knew the truth of the matter.
Not judging you, but where I come from, I would never refer to a woman as a bitch, especially a wife/GF that you love and adore.  I wonder how you would feel if your two daughters would be referred to as bitches when they grow up and have relationships.

I truly understand your point about overly clingy wives/girlfriends.  I left a GF because of this.  But as I stated, most women do need attention time, as much as we need attention time and personal space.  My wife has a full time career, yet she finds time to raise two young boys, prepare the meals, clean the house, and do the laundry.  My lunch pack is ready to go before I even get out of bed.  Breakfast is waiting for me.  She readily gives me back rubs and massages whenever I ask for it.  In return, I do the "guy" things around the house, play with the boys while she prepares the meals, and give her the attention and respect that she deserves.  And then good luvin before I get to my BF2 playtime.  Being a good husband/BF has it's perks, without having to demand it.
Torin
+52|6697

Ilocano wrote:

Torin wrote:

Not judging you, but where I come from, I would never refer to a woman as a bitch, especially a wife/GF that you love and adore.  I wonder how you would feel if your two daughters would be referred to as bitches when they grow up and have relationships.
Well, that was in jest.

Ilocano wrote:

I truly understand your point about overly clingy wives/girlfriends.  I left a GF because of this.  But as I stated, most women do need attention time, as much as we need attention time and personal space.  My wife has a full time career, yet she finds time to raise two young boys, prepare the meals, clean the house, and do the laundry.  My lunch pack is ready to go before I even get out of bed.  Breakfast is waiting for me.  She readily gives me back rubs and massages whenever I ask for it.  In return, I do the "guy" things around the house, play with the boys while she prepares the meals, and give her the attention and respect that she deserves.  And then good luvin before I get to my BF2 playtime.  Being a good husband/BF has it's perks, without having to demand it.
The point I was trying to make, was that there should be time for everything. Clingy/needy girlfriends/wives who demand time as they see fit, deserve to be rid of. There are plenty of women out there that will let you have time for BF2, just as you allow time for them. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, like some people make it out to be.

If I'm in the middle of a BF2 game, and my wife wants me to do something (wants, not needs), she will generally always wait until at least my game is over, if not my session. On the opposite side of things, I deliberately limit my BF2 time to allow time for her. Just because you choose to keep playing BF2 over heeding your wife/girlfriend's demands immediately, does not mean you have no capacity for maintaining a relationship, nor does it mean you value a game over said wife/girlfriend. All it means is you want to finish playing the damn game! There is a time and place for everything, and some women need to badly understand that the world does not revolve around them, and if I'm in the middle of something and they don't NEED me, then there are occasions where they should have to wait.

Now, I never have and will not advocate completely ignoring your wife/girlfriend on account of a game, but if she can't give you the time to play, then forget her.

That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited by Torin (2006-05-10 13:07:52)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6672

Torin wrote:

Now, I never have and will not advocate completely ignoring your wife/girlfriend on account of a game, but if she can't give you the time to play, then forget her.

That's all I was trying to say.
I agree completely.  Or is that: I completely agree.

And to the OP, yes, good anecdote.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-05-10 13:17:24)

niomosy
+26|6694
My wife's learned.  I set up gaming time a long time ago.  She knows that hubby gaming = happy hubby = better around the wife = happy wife.

The nice thing is, my gaming time starts around the time our daughter has her last feeding for the night so I don't even miss out on any real "quality" time with her.

We do get these conversations now and then...

Wife: Hun, <insert whatever she came to talk to me about here>
Me: Argh!!  What!?
Wife: Did I just make you die?
Me: Yes!
Wife: Okay, well, can you take a look at this? (or whatever she wants me to do)
Me: As soon as the round's done!
Wife: *sigh* fine.
Torin
+52|6697

niomosy wrote:

My wife's learned.  I set up gaming time a long time ago.  She knows that hubby gaming = happy hubby = better around the wife = happy wife.

The nice thing is, my gaming time starts around the time our daughter has her last feeding for the night so I don't even miss out on any real "quality" time with her.

I get that on almost a daily basis.

It's a compromise, but then again, so is any good relationship.

I usually have headphones on though, so there is no initial death when she initiates a conversation, just a slight delay while I divert my attention away from the game.

It's to the point now where she usually doesn't ask me to do something unless she looks at the monitor and sees that I am loading or about to load a new map, so getting up to do something that takes a minute is no big deal.

You can make a good situation for yourself when it comes to gaming in a serious relationship, but it does take time. At first, it was constant bitching and moaning about how the game is more important than her, etc. Now she understands how I see it, and works with me when I'm in the middle of playing.

Last edited by Torin (2006-05-10 13:35:08)

niomosy
+26|6694

Torin wrote:

niomosy wrote:

I get that on almost a daily basis.

It's a compromise, but then again, so is any good relationship.

I usually have headphones on though, so there is no initial death when she initiates a conversation, just a slight delay while I divert my attention away from the game.

It's to the point now where she usually doesn't ask me to do something unless she looks at the monitor and sees that I am loading or about to load a new map, so getting up to do something that takes a minute is no big deal.

You can make a good situation for yourself when it comes to gaming in a serious relationship, but it does take time. At first, it was constant bitching and moaning about how the game is more important than her, etc. Now she understands how I see it, and works with me when I'm in the middle of playing.
Nice.  I haven't gotten that far along with my wife yet but she's not too bad.  A lot of times she'll at least ask if I can spare a moment.  That tends to result in my death, causing me to give her an evil look but oh well.

No headphones for me.  Gotta have the door open as well.  I'm usually the closest to our daughter's room so I'm the one that tends to hear her first.  Can't have headphones on or close the door just for that.  A crying baby girl gets daddy pulled away from BF2 pretty quickly.
l41e
+677|6653

Aslan_the_Creator wrote:

I agree with agamemnar. This game is very addicting, some of you guys need to just take a break. And even more of you guys need to get a life.
Um...how do you know we don't have lives?

Seriously, if people would stop going around judging people just because they like a game, then they should take a look at theirselves. Going around forums trolling is a life?
Torin
+52|6697

niomosy wrote:

Nice.  I haven't gotten that far along with my wife yet but she's not too bad.  A lot of times she'll at least ask if I can spare a moment.  That tends to result in my death, causing me to give her an evil look but oh well.

No headphones for me.  Gotta have the door open as well.  I'm usually the closest to our daughter's room so I'm the one that tends to hear her first.  Can't have headphones on or close the door just for that.  A crying baby girl gets daddy pulled away from BF2 pretty quickly.
It took a while, and a heavy load of work, but it's better now. I don't hear any of the bs about how the game is more important than she is (I mean, why would you compare a wife to a game? ), and don't get any flak for playing for long hours. After you tell her "wait until this round is over" about 300 times, it finally sinks in.

I too have an infant, she's 12 weeks old. However, I usually reserve my gaming for when my wife can handle the baby duties, and don't even bother with online multiplayer games when I know I might be getting up any minute. If the baby is sleeping, I'll risk it though. A lot of time I have my headphones on, but only 1 earphone on, so I can hear the baby crying, but still hear the game. It's quite a balancing act with a newborn around, and the wife needing her own attention, but it is very doable, just takes time and effort to develop a working system. Some stuff like helping with dinner (if needed) I make sure to take care of before I even get on the game, so I don't get pulled away 3 minutes into my first round.

Way OT, but oh well.
Tor77
Ron Jeremy Apprentice
+84|6657|Norway

banksd1983 wrote:

i'm sure she was thrilled you blew her off for someone you've never met, someone you don't know the name of, and for a computer game that will still be there after the night's over. Some of the responses in this thread amaze me. Whenever I think I'd rather play this game than go out with my girlfriend I have the awareness to step back. Unless you're lucky like some of these guys who have a girlfriend/wife who plays or shares interest, how the hell do you justify playing a game rather than "meeting up" with your significant other?
Oh…my…god. Well, for one thing I don’t think you have a girlfriend yourself. Or perhaps you do but you just started dating, or perhaps you really want to see her all the time! What the hell do I know. Point is, me and my girlfriend have been together for 3 years now. Judging from your nick I guess you’re 23 years old. Well, I’m 30 next year and past the point where I can dedicate all my spear-time to my girlfriend. I have my own company which takes at least 10-12 hours of my day. I am on the phone or in meetings all day long and my life is pretty hectic as it is.

Obviously the two of us (banksd1983 and I) have different personalities. I *need* time alone to do whatever I want to stay happy and, well, sane. If it’s watching 5 straight episodes of West Wing, mixing some vinyl or playing BF2 – doesn’t matter – these are things I like and NEED to do. Some of those things are one-man activities or if they’re not – doesn’t matter - I just want to be alone sometimes.

My girlfriend is really cool so she doesn’t have a problem with that, it’s just that the little “incident” in the original post paints a picture that says some things are - in lack of better words - easier to "get away with" than others.

So, to answer your question: it’s not about “justifying” anything. It’s about – as pointed out by Torin – balance. Those of you actually arguing me for being somewhat of a loser or nerd who’s ignoring my girlfriend so I can squeeze in a couple of rounds don’t GET the post at all. And because of that, I would say you either never had a meaningful and/or long relationship or you’re just, well, too young to understand.

To those backing me up – thanks – you know what I’m talking about!

Last edited by Tor77 (2006-05-11 05:18:44)

ATC
+58|6749|...
I said SOME of you like the guy that started this thread, he decided to go with someone he's never met in real life and not go with his girlfriend. I said SOME of you. Not EVERYONE.
Sambuccashake
+126|6615|Sweden

Torin wrote:

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

RDMC(2) wrote:

exactly what he said
Unless you haven't figured it out, that is what a relationship is. You become one with someone else, and them with you.

Women WANT you to pay attention to them... it is part of their biological makeup. If you pay no attention to them, then they are getting their attention from somewhere else. If that's the case, don't fucking cry when you find out she's been cheating on you physically or emotionally. And don't blame her for it either.
I'd venture to say you've never had a real relationship then. Yes, women want attention, but there is a difference between a woman needing your total attention at her beck and call (aka being whipped), and her being able to accept that you have other priorities that deserve attention too. There is a huge difference between paying NO attention to them, and allowing yourself time to do other things as well. It's called balance, a novel idea, I know.

Any bitch that won't leave you be for a time to play BF2, is an overly-needy high maintenance bitch that should be dropped asap, I don't care how hot she is. I don't know about you guys, but I need a break from all of life's shit, and that break is BF2, it's not paying attention to my wife. There is a time and place for everything, and women be damned, I'm not going to spend all my off-hours succumbing to the attention needs of women. I have a wife and 2 daughters, I'll have my own time damnit.

"You become one with someone else, and them with you." How cliche. This reeks of inexperience with a real meaningful relationship. Sorry, this isn't Dr. Phil.

Anyways, to the OP, great thread. Don't mind us bickering over relationships, I just can't stand people that think because they got it with 5 girls means they know everything about relationships, and can comdemn anyone who don't make it a priority.

To Agamemnar, take your judgement elsewhere, no one is impressed.
*Stands up and applauds vigorously*
Tor77
Ron Jeremy Apprentice
+84|6657|Norway

Aslan_the_Creator wrote:

I said SOME of you like the guy that started this thread, he decided to go with someone he's never met in real life and not go with his girlfriend. I said SOME of you. Not EVERYONE.
Umm...that "guy" would be me. No, I didn't decide to "go with someone he's never met in real life". Geez, didn't you read what I wrote? Do I have to spell it out for you? I don't spend every living minute outside of work with my girlfriend. Nor should any other! It's not good for you as an individual nor the relationship itself.

The point I was trying to make - which is obviously extremly hard for some of you to grasp - is that it doesn't matter who, where or when. It's all about balancing your life as a boyfriend and as an individual; finding a golden middle road to be with those you care about but still maintaining your own hobbies and interrests and not changing who you are just because you have a "significant other".

If you had a girlfriend - or at least some girlfriend experience - you would understand. Don't come here and tell or TEACH me how to be with my girlfriend.

To put it like my father once did when I started to lecture him about driving: "You can't teach your father how to fuck, Tor".

Enough said.

Last edited by Tor77 (2006-05-11 06:58:52)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6633|IRELAND

lol, I can see her point. Thats why I bought my missus a PC and a copy of the sims2. Now she can virtually dress and control others instead of me and leave me alone to kill!!!!
+1 for you brother.
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6602
Further Funny Conversations:
GF: Hey sweetie.  How's it going?
<Long wait on reply over IM>
me: Sorry.  Eating a bagel and renting temps [smile]
GF: That's ok. "Renting" temps?  oh badges?
me: No it's a nice way of saying I pay prostitutes to service me on company time.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6694|London, UK
geez i got my housephone next to me and mobile phone if either rings i cannot be arsed to pick it up, its pretty hard to play while yr head is sideways and then u got gunfire ringing out from yr speakers trying to listen to what the other person is sayin and iam continously saying yeh? hmm yeh? say that again? n00b!..
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6734|Louisiana
Dude, that's how women are...
- "I already told this guy I'm gonna play BF2 so I'm sorry, we can't do anything tonight."
- "You don't love me anymore!" *runs off to room, slams door behind her, throws stuffed animals against the wall*
comet241
+164|6770|Normal, IL
wow... sounds like a conversation ive had a thousand times with my gf..... why is she still around? why am i still playing video games???? *sigh*
niomosy
+26|6694

Torin wrote:

niomosy wrote:

It took a while, and a heavy load of work, but it's better now. I don't hear any of the bs about how the game is more important than she is (I mean, why would you compare a wife to a game? ), and don't get any flak for playing for long hours. After you tell her "wait until this round is over" about 300 times, it finally sinks in.

I too have an infant, she's 12 weeks old. However, I usually reserve my gaming for when my wife can handle the baby duties, and don't even bother with online multiplayer games when I know I might be getting up any minute. If the baby is sleeping, I'll risk it though. A lot of time I have my headphones on, but only 1 earphone on, so I can hear the baby crying, but still hear the game. It's quite a balancing act with a newborn around, and the wife needing her own attention, but it is very doable, just takes time and effort to develop a working system. Some stuff like helping with dinner (if needed) I make sure to take care of before I even get on the game, so I don't get pulled away 3 minutes into my first round.

Way OT, but oh well.
Heh, I still use the "when the round is over" trick on her.  She hasn't caught on to keep track of the ticket yet   For the most part, she at least knows now that I don't like to be bugged while gaming unless I'm at some kind of pause point (regen, map loading, not on a server).  Her big question lately is, "can you pause?"

"It's a multi-player game, dear.  There's no pause.  I can stop playing for a minute since you just got me killed again, though."

Mine's a bit older.  4 months on Saturday.  She's been a great baby, though.  Started sleeping through the night at around 6 weeks.  Right now, last feed is around 8:30 and she's in her crib by about 9:30 or so.  So gaming for me is typically 8:30-10:30.  I end up picking her up now and then when she's gassy.  She tends to fall asleep before getting a good enough burping.
niomosy
+26|6694

bullit wrote:

geez i got my housephone next to me and mobile phone if either rings i cannot be arsed to pick it up, its pretty hard to play while yr head is sideways and then u got gunfire ringing out from yr speakers trying to listen to what the other person is sayin and iam continously saying yeh? hmm yeh? say that again? n00b!..
I keep a headset there.  Any home phone I buy these days has to have a headset attachment since I can get into hours upon hours of work from home where I'm on a conference call or on with support.  Works great for gaming.  Keeps my hands freed up and I don't have to have the phone pinned between my cheek and shoulder.
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6699|Howell, Mi USA
Heh, I still use the "when the round is over" trick on her.  She hasn't caught on to keep track of the ticket yet   For the most part, she at least knows now that I don't like to be bugged while gaming unless I'm at some kind of pause point (regen, map loading, not on a server).  Her big question lately is, "can you pause?"

"It's a multi-player game, dear.  There's no pause.  I can stop playing for a minute since you just got me killed again, though."

Mine's a bit older.  4 months on Saturday.  She's been a great baby, though.  Started sleeping through the night at around 6 weeks.  Right now, last feed is around 8:30 and she's in her crib by about 9:30 or so.  So gaming for me is typically 8:30-10:30.  I end up picking her up now and then when she's gassy.  She tends to fall asleep before getting a good enough burping.
Ur lucky dude, my g/f is a bigtime ticket tracker. i blew it though, she asked me one time how many tickets were left and i told her 25. i started another game and she happen to check tickets and they were like 250 again. now she knows how many tickets a 16,32,and 64 game has and asks me about every 5 mins or so what they are.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard