wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK

Jaekus wrote:

Thanks
I think I needed a bit of a confidence boost.

My current routine is:

Mon: chest/tri
Tues: HIIT cardio (8 sets), abs
Wed: back/bi
Thurs: HIIT cardio, abs
Fri: Legs/shoulders
Sat: HIIT cardio, abs
Sun: rest

Diet:

Brekky: rolled oats with 2 scoops of whey protein concentrate (has BCAAs in it), full cream milk; or 5 egg whites (with tomato/mushroom/low fat cheese/whatever) on a piece of wholemeal toast.
Lunch: sandwich (wholemeal bread, tomato, cheese and turkey breast)
Dinner: either roast chicken breast with non-salt seasoning (eg: rosemary, cayenne pepper, lemongrass and garlic) or rib fillet steak with steamed vegies and gravy (gravy has low carbs and no fat)
Snacks: apples, protein bars, if I'm out and need to eat I'll try to get a something like salmon sushi or something.

Supplements:
Whey Protein Concentrate (3x on workout days, 2x on cardio days)
Swisse Men's Ultivite (multivitamin)
Fish oil caps (x3)
Creatine (once, post workout)
Glutamine (post workout)

So yeah, I'm really trying hard. I really want a transformation!!!
You've got the diet thing nailed on if I'm being honest won't be long until you start seeing results!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Thanks man, that's great to know!

Jebus wrote:

Looks great man! Pretty solid diet too. Although you've gotta be missing your smaller meals.. (or are those your snacks?)
Yeah the snacks are my smaller meals. Sometimes (like today) I miss the morning meal after brekky, and just had lunch so I'll have two small arvo snacks before dinner, try to space them 2-3 hours apart. I've also started eating a 250g tub of low fat cottage cheese before bed on my workout days, as I don't have any casein supps.

Thanks heaps guys, you've taken a load off my mind
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
So I just went out and bought a squat rack and some more weight plates
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

Jaekus wrote:

So I just went out and bought a squat rack and some more weight plates
Woow, I'm severely impressed man, great motivation!

If you don't mind, will you take a pic of your home gym one day? I'm interested

And don't be afraid to film you doing squats/deadlifts/.. to post them here and have us aid you with your form, because (I speak from experience) it's really hard to be spot-on with your form alone
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Thanks

This is the squat rack with barbell w/10kg plates (yeah, it's under the house and a bit untidy lol)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/52172/IMG_0120.JPG

I'll put up the benches and dumbbells another time but it's nothing flash. There's also a home gym with cables etc but it's not mine and isn't fully set up. I'd prefer to use all my own gear anyway, so I don't become dependant on another's.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-12-23 23:44:34)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
I don't mean to turn this thread into my personal blog, but anyway...

So I did 4x8 squats with 10kg either side. Wasn't a struggle but I'm trying to adopt good form. I -think- it was pretty good. Back straight, arse out, held the bar fairly wide with it resting on my muscles below my neck (rear delts??). Bent with the hips, pushed with the legs. I'll try a heavier weight next week and see if I can still do good form.

Also:

*You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-12-24 01:11:27)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
That rack looks so low lol, but it's probably the pic. Looks nice though. From what you said, your form looks great, just make sure you're pushing through your heels and your back remains straight (doesn't round!). Use your legs to come back up, and don't make the mistake I did when starting (leaning forward a bit to make it easier - I payed it for it later )

If you're not sure, just film it and post it here, and I'm sure the pro's (Sonder, Zimmer, etc) will be able to give you some pointers. I will try my best to help too, but I'm certainly not as experienced as they are.

By the way, this powerlifter-bearmode guy keeps approaching me in the gym and tells me about his powerlifting. He says I'm doing great, but I have the feeling he just wants me to sign up for his organization lol.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Haha, gotta watch out for those types! Give you moral support as bait for you to talk to him about it. Then he'll put the hard sell on you.

Yeah, it is a little low, and that's as high as it goes. I'm 5'10" and the barbell is at about 2-3" below the top of my shoulder, so I have to get down a bit, but for $170 I can't complain. The next one up was over $300, and from there they only had the power cages.

I'm pretty confident with my form. It felt good and I did keep my back straight the entire time, I really made sure of that one. A couple reps I leant forward by accident, but it didn't feel right to do it. I basically tried to keep the barbell in vertical line with my feet.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Sounds good mate

Better have a low bar than a high bar lol, the previous squat rack in my gym made me stand on my toes to unrack the weight, which was doable witj lower weights but not anymore when upping the weights..
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Really? That'd be kinda dangerous I'd imagine.
Also pretty glad I can do heavier chest presses now, although I've read dumbbells are better than barbells? Dunno, I'll give the barbell a shot on Monday
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Meh, both have their advantages. I feel I can get a much stronger stretch in my pecs with dumbbells but barbells have other advantages. I combine them
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Good idea. Which would you recommend for incline and which for flat? Or doesn't matter?

And how can I safely manage a decline with dumbbells? Or should I use the barbell for that?
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
I've never did decline barbell press or DB press; simply because we've only got one of those benches at the gym and it's on the second floor. Noone there to spot you either. I'll look into it after my exams though, because supposedly it would be less heavy on my shoulders.

At the moment I'm doing flat with barbell and incline with DB's (+incline flyes). I will probably do something like decline barbell, flat DB press+fly + something else in the future.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah. I tried doing decline DB the other day. Managed 3 sets but it was awkward. I wouldn't want to be doing it with anything heavy. But with the rack I might give it a go.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK
Jaekus I like your motivation son! Try to tidy that basement up!
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
None of that shit is mine, except for the weights and rack; I live with 4 other people in a sharehouse. And the two boxes in the bottom left (orange one is from the dumbbells, bigger one from the rack). Meh. There's actually a lot of space down there, that's just the messier part (one of lol).

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-12-24 16:02:54)

Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

Jaekus wrote:

Back straight, arse out, held the bar fairly wide with it resting on my muscles below my neck (rear delts??). Bent with the hips, pushed with the legs. I'll try a heavier weight next week and see if I can still do good form.
Looking good so far. Only thing I have to add is that you should try to have a fairly narrow grip on the bar when doing squats rather than a wide one. Like have your forearms in a straight line going up from your elbows to your hands when holding the bar. When you hold it with a wide grip, you'll be more inclined to hold it up with your shoulders, upper back and chest rather than taking all the weight with your legs. And the muscles below your neck (between your neck and shoulder) are the trapezius (more commonly called 'traps'). Anyways, keep up the motivation! And I read earlier that you are trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which can be hard to do: Just remember that even gaining muscle will make you 'look' thinner, because you will fill out your frame better and proportionally less of your weight will be fat.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Jaekus wrote:

Thanks

My current routine is:

Diet:

Brekky: rolled oats with 2 scoops of whey protein concentrate (has BCAAs in it), full cream milk; or 5 egg whites (with tomato/mushroom/low fat cheese/whatever) on a piece of wholemeal toast.
Dinner: either roast chicken breast with non-salt seasoning (eg: rosemary, cayenne pepper, lemongrass and garlic) or rib fillet steak with steamed vegies and gravy (gravy has low carbs and no fat)
Snacks: apples, protein bars, if I'm out and need to eat I'll try to get a something like salmon sushi or something.

Supplements:
Fish oil caps (x3)
Glutamine (post workout)

That's looking awesome man, you've inspired me to figure out some sort of diet for myself. I eat pretty well in terms of low fat, no sugar, and plenty of fruit and veg, but probably more than I need and breakfasts tend to get ignored. Protein bars sound good as well. I should really start going to the gym every day as well.

What's the fish oil for?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
Joints.  Its not just your muscles that are going to start taking a hammering.

if there was one supplement you should take (bar protein) it would be fish oils.  if you want to go the whole hog also taken glucosamine chondroitin  and msm.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Being a student sucks, exams coming up so all I'm doing is studying, studying and making tests.

Studying +- 10 hours a day. Really can't find a spot to go to the gym, or it's maybe once a week max.
I'm in this till mid february, so I guess I'll lose quite a bit of progress. Gonna do pullups, pushups, crunches etc, at home to minimize loss, but this sucks
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

ghettoperson wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Thanks

My current routine is:

Diet:

Supplements:
Fish oil caps (x3)
Glutamine (post workout)

That's looking awesome man, you've inspired me to figure out some sort of diet for myself. I eat pretty well in terms of low fat, no sugar, and plenty of fruit and veg, but probably more than I need and breakfasts tend to get ignored. Protein bars sound good as well. I should really start going to the gym every day as well.

What's the fish oil for?
Thanks

Just make sure you eat breakfast as this gets your metabolism going for the day, and rather than have 3 big meals, have 5-6 smaller meals 3-ish hours apart. Try to have protein with every meal, and have more carbs in the morning as this gives you energy; try not to have carbs for dinner.

Don't eat anything processed as most processed foods contain high levels of sodium (salt). So whole foods only (fresh fruit and vegetables, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, oatmeal, nuts, etc.)

There's lots of different diet recommendations but generally speaking you'll want approx. 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats. And you want to count your calories (although I've been slack with this for a while, but I have a good idea what is enough for each day now). Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9 calories per gram.

If you've stuck to your diet, reward yourself once a week or fortnight with a "cheat meal" of anything you want. Just try to make sure it doesn't exceed 500 calories.

Limit your alcohol intake to once a fortnight (or not at all if you can manage it). Pretty much impossible for me this time of year, I'm typing this whilst hungover
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

My current workout scheme (I'm not looking to bulk up, just to do cardio before the soccer season begin's here):

Monday: Indoor Soccer
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: HIIT (30/60)
Thursday: Long Jog
Friday: HIIT
Saturday: Swimming
Sunday: Rest
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
How long do you do HIIT for?
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

30 / 60 second cycles, around 8-10, depending how I'm feeling
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Ah ok. I do 30/90. Did 9 sets today, last week I was doing 8 each time. Even then 9 felt easier. Maybe I'm getting fitter.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard