Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5983|Perth, Australia
My only complaint to this challenging MS is compatibility.

Dev's have enough problems with the many variations of hardware that they have to cater for without having to deal with multiple OS's as well. But that will be quite a ways off if it ever happens so i think i'll just wait and see.

I'm assuming this will be made to UNIX specifications?
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6113|SC | USA |

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Why would direct X be a limitation? Games can be played on all platforms. If Google succeeds with their OS then they will have a direct x alternative.
There already are DX alternatives. None is as widely used so the games are not so widely available or as cheap.

You can get Mac versions of lots of games. Doesn't mean they're good or cheap or easy to find.

If you want decent games on a PC-type platform you need DX.
yes atm it is so but lets wait and see how popular the new OS gets. If theres enough popularity then games will be made for Google's own "direct x".
Thats right because all games in the industry are being made for OSX and Windows.

Lol. Google's OS is just another Ubuntu, probably based on BSD. It will probably be run on PDAs and Netbooks. No one has done well by challenging windows in the gaming market. Honest it doesn't matter. I'd rather have one OS for gaming. Only developers who have a lot of cash code games for mac as well. (Example: WOW and the BF franchise) Having developers almost forced to develop for more than one platform will drive the cost of games up.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

There already are DX alternatives. None is as widely used so the games are not so widely available or as cheap.

You can get Mac versions of lots of games. Doesn't mean they're good or cheap or easy to find.

If you want decent games on a PC-type platform you need DX.
yes atm it is so but lets wait and see how popular the new OS gets. If theres enough popularity then games will be made for Google's own "direct x".
Thats right because all games in the industry are being made for OSX and Windows.
Essentially, yes. There are only 2 platforms for developing 3D games in. DirectX (either using D3D or a custom built renderer using DirectDraw) or using OpenGL. Those are the only 2 APIs that are used for games development. DirectX on Windows and OpenGL on OSX - so essentially that's completely true, dunno what you're rolling your eyes about.
mikkel
+383|6600
One awesome thing about this is that it runs on ARM architectures. I hope it turns out to be a good embedded graphical OS.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

mikkel wrote:

One awesome thing about this is that it runs on ARM architectures. I hope it turns out to be a good embedded graphical OS.
So does OSX.

(sort of)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-07-08 10:51:24)

mikkel
+383|6600

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

So does OSX.

(sort of)
But I wouldn't call OSX a good embedded graphical OS.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5998|The Mitten
...I have an Android phone... isn't that a Google OS?
EE (hats
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

mikkel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

So does OSX.

(sort of)
But I wouldn't call OSX a good embedded graphical OS.
Nor would I. But I'd anticipate that's kind of what Google are going for.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5904|CA

Bertster7 wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Essentially, yes. There are only 2 platforms for developing 3D games in. DirectX (either using D3D or a custom built renderer using DirectDraw) or using OpenGL. Those are the only 2 APIs that are used for games development. DirectX on Windows and OpenGL on OSX - so essentially that's completely true, dunno what you're rolling your eyes about.
You forgot to include console games, PS3, X360, Wii, etc. and their own OS/firmware that developers have to code on.  I think that's why he was rolling his eyes.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6740|OctoLand
Google has announced which hardware firms have pledged to build machines that will run its Chrome OS.

The search giant said it was working with many firms on Chrome OS hardware including Acer, Asus, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, and Toshiba.

The software is designed to work with the web and Google said it was most likely to appear on smaller portable computers known as netbooks.
The browser-based operating system will be released to the public in 2010.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8141964.stm
I know fucking karate
mazeingmazerules
+8|6477|Canada
Webbassed operating system would be pretty pro.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone

mazeingmazerules wrote:

Webbassed operating system would be pretty pro.
awaiting a review by you of the new OS when its released
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

TopHat01 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

You forgot to include console games, PS3, X360, Wii, etc. and their own OS/firmware that developers have to code on.  I think that's why he was rolling his eyes.
I think he was rolling his eyes because very few games are made on both OS's.

As for Chrome, it'll be just another more mainstream version of Linux. If I wanted to use Linux, I'd use one already out there, so it's utterly useless to me, and I can't see it being taken up by many people.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

TopHat01 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I didn't forget consoles. PS3 games are OpenGL, Xbox and Xbox 360 games are DirectX - I don't know what the Wii uses, but it will be one or the other. They all use the same 3D APIs, so the point stands that all games are being made for 2 platforms.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
that netbook is an exact clone of the black apple macbook

i love them
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Benzin
+576|5998
Less than a week until my CR-48 arrives.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
I can't stand keyboards like that. They're so horrible to type on.

Still, I guess it's just for Internet browsing, so no one's gonna be doing extensive typing on one.
GR34
+215|6544|ALBERTA> CANADA
only thing that is certain, it will be pirated millions and millions of times
Benzin
+576|5998
What? Chrome OS? It's a free OS, anyway...
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

CapnNismo wrote:

What? Chrome OS? It's a free OS, anyway...
Lol yeah, it's open source... XD

Link: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6390

I'd hate to work in chrome all the time.  Also, do you have to have an internet connection before it works?
Benzin
+576|5998
No, there is no Internet connection required. Some of the applications that you can download work as a normal program would without an Internet connection. Obviously, though, given that it's very much a cloud-based operating system, not having an Internet connection is a bit of an annoyance and would obviously cripple the OS in some ways.

My CR-48 should be arriving either this week or early next week, so as soon as I have it, I'll be reporting about it.
Benzin
+576|5998

Hope you guys like it.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6731|St. Andrews / Oslo

They keyboard/mousepad layout is identical to Macbooks, heh.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard