ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

EVieira wrote:

How come people are criticizing the world cup in Qatar and no one cared that the Olympics was in China? South Africa has one of the worlds worse wealth distributions, and still hel the World Cup.

I think Qatar is wrong to discriminate people, but it seems to me that there is a double standard when the country having the games is a small, middle east country...
The issue here as I see it is not a question of whether or not a country has sufficient moral high ground to host the WC/Olympics, but whether or not the location works for the fans. Given that 6% of the British population identifies as gay - which I'd think would be a similar percentage to most countries - this clearly isn't a good idea. As well as this there's the whole only-being-able-to-drink-in-hotel-bars thing. That is not going to fly with most football fans.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-12-14 18:20:37)

EVieira
+105|6474|Lutenblaag, Molvania

ghettoperson wrote:

EVieira wrote:

How come people are criticizing the world cup in Qatar and no one cared that the Olympics was in China? South Africa has one of the worlds worse wealth distributions, and still hel the World Cup.

I think Qatar is wrong to discriminate people, but it seems to me that there is a double standard when the country having the games is a small, middle east country...
The issue here as I see it is not a question of whether or not a country has sufficient moral high ground to host the WC/Olympics, but whether or not the location works for the fans. Given that 6% of the British population identifies as gay - which I'd think would be a similar percentage to most countries - this clearly isn't a good idea. As well as this there's the whole only-being-able-to-drink-in-hotel-bars thing. That is not going to fly with most football fans.
Well, you gotta go where the money is. The middle-east is spending a shitloads of cash in tourism and sports. Formula One is there, the current Team World Championship (I don't know exactly how its called in english) is happening there right now, Ferrari opened its only theme park there, and the worlds most luxurious hotels are there.

"If you build it they will come." I know I will.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

Luxury hotels, Ferrari roll coasters meh

I hate traveling as it is, why would I want to spend lots of money in a place with more arbitrary laws than the place I already live in?

Fuck that.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6493

Macbeth wrote:

Luxury hotels, Ferrari roll coasters meh

I hate traveling as it is, why would I want to spend lots of money in a place with more arbitrary laws than the place I already live in?

Fuck that.
without being in the army? i dunno, nothing but downside. at least in the army, you get to go to exotic places, meet new people, and

kill them.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

EVieira wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Well, you gotta go where the money is. The middle-east is spending a shitloads of cash in tourism and sports. Formula One is there, the current Team World Championship (I don't know exactly how its called in english) is happening there right now, Ferrari opened its only theme park there, and the worlds most luxurious hotels are there.

Hopefully, the money involved will make them change their laws on alcohol at least.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6493

i'll drink to that . . .
EVieira

Turquoise wrote:

Hopefully, the money involved will make them change their laws on alcohol at least.
Oh I doubt that. I just hope no one gets stoned to death during the games.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

EVieira wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Sure they are, but F1 in comparison to football is a pretty minor sport. There's also only two events in the ME, not the whole series. I have no idea how many people attend F1 races, but I'm sure it doesn't even begin to compare to the number of people that visit for the World Cup.
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think there's a much greater chance they'll be willing to change drinking laws than laws regarding gays at least.

To clarify, I was applying the money argument to the World Cup, not F1 racing.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-14 18:41:50)

EVieira

Turquoise wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think there's a much greater chance they'll be willing to change drinking laws than laws regarding gays at least.

To clarify, I was applying the money argument to the World Cup, not F1 racing.
I guess they won't have a choice, unless they think they can fill the stadiums only with locals and muslim tourists.
Turquoise
O Canada

Poseidon wrote:

I don't see what was wrong with his comment. Homosexuality is illegal in Qater. He said gay should refrained from showing... who they are, essentially.

FIFA's fault for picking such a shithole backwards assed country like Qatar instead of AU or the US.
I would agree that Blatter's response was just honest, if a bit badly worded.

But yeah, you would think these gay groups would direct more of their criticism at Qatar itself rather than at FIFA.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5995|The Mitten

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I don't see what was wrong with his comment. Homosexuality is illegal in Qater. He said gay should refrained from showing... who they are, essentially.

FIFA's fault for picking such a shithole backwards assed country like Qatar instead of AU or the US.

But yeah, you would think these gay groups would direct more of their criticism at Qatar itself rather than at FIFA.
FIFA is more likely to change their opinion/stance than Qatar is....
EE (hats
Turquoise
O Canada

Morpheus wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Very true...   I suppose there is a remote chance that enough pressure leading up to 2022 could relocate the games.  (and a lot of money for that matter)
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5995|The Mitten

Turquoise wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Very true...   I suppose there is a remote chance that enough pressure leading up to 2022 could relocate the games.  (and a lot of money for that matter)
Yea. Not that I want them too (see previous posts), but I'm just being realistic here.
EE (hats
Turquoise
O Canada

Morpheus wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Yea. Not that I want them too (see previous posts), but I'm just being realistic here.
The purely market driven approach could work, but honestly, I'd love to see FIFA give Qatar the finger for being such ignorant fucks.

I think it's better to limit games to countries with a reasonable level of human rights.  Unfortunately, that does leave out a lot of the world, but fuck 'em.   Sometimes the most persuasive tactic is to simply set cultural criteria for holding an event.   The money does eventually talk for the sake of social equality if it's angled right.
BVC
+325|6691
Its also illegal to be an atheist in Qatar, punishable by death.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5233|Cleveland, Ohio
i wish i didnt want to watch the world cup....

although i was actually planning on going to one someday but i the next three are places i have no desire to spend any time in.
Turquoise
O Canada

Pubic wrote:

Its also illegal to be an atheist in Qatar, punishable by death.
Oh wow...  I'm surprised it's not the more typical "it's illegal to convert out of Islam" thing.

A lot of Middle Eastern countries will punish apostasy severely, but they won't actually bother atheists that were never Muslims to begin with.  I didn't realize Qatar takes it a step further.

Great choice by the WC committee indeed....

North Korea should be the host in 2026.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-15 06:23:30)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6738|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5995|...

ghettoperson wrote:

6%? That's quite alot of people.

Persecuting gays must've been a daily choir in ye olden days.
inane little opines
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom

dayarath wrote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Evensong_in_York_Minster.jpg
Tu Stultus Es
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5995|...
chore **** lol
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

dayarath wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

6%? That's quite alot of people.

Psychologists suggest that the actual % could be as high as 10% -- if you include bisexuals.

Granted, there are other factors to take into account as well.  In general, homosexuals and bisexuals seek out more tolerant environments for their lifestyles, which usually involves moving to bigger cities.   The net effect is that urban areas probably have a slightly higher % of these groups than the overall average, and rural areas probably have a lower %.

And of course, the closeted factor also makes measuring this sort of thing very difficult.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6564|Mountains of NC

but what about all the soccer players
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6459|Tyne & Wear, England
At least we'll have the bonus of no Cristiano Ronaldo.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard