bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6322

presidentsheep wrote:

Keep getting a series of beeps coming from what i think is one of my HDD's when i power on. any ideas? it shuts off once windows loads.
any specific pattern of beeps?

Last edited by ebug9 (2010-11-28 10:35:23)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5971|Places 'n such
nope, fairly sure its on of the HDDs now, its quite high pitched, about a second long normally about 5 or so, all identical until the windows screen appears.

edit: more detail: checked all the power cables are plugged in properly, ditto with sata cables for both of the hard drives as i cant tell which one it is.
Ones a seagate barracuda about 5 years old but ive never had a problem. Others a samsung f3 a couple of months old, again no problems so far. theres been no recent hardware changes, PSU's a hx520 so should be plenty.
After the windows screen comes up, everything runs fine on both hard drives and theyre both as quiet or noisy as usual.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2010-11-28 10:58:30)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5971|Places 'n such
scrap that, the f3 has disappeared from device manager/my computer.
The plot thickens.

May not have been there after the beeping started, don't think i've ran any programs from it as its mainly for storage. Storage of my music collection. :'(

Last edited by presidentsheep (2010-11-28 11:08:36)

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6009|The Mitten
easy way to tell - unplug one hdd (power & data)
if it beeps, unplug the other one.
if no beep, plug it back in.
  if beep, unplug to confirm.
EE (hats
Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6202|14072
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+ … RRWidgetID

Great Christmas gift!! Just read the reviews!
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6296|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Runs_with_sciss0rs wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+-+Coffee+39.4%27+HDMI+Cable+-+White/1267764.p?id=1218245464814&skuId=1267764#BVRRWidgetID

Great Christmas gift!! Just read the reviews!
I'm 21 and what's this?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
haha aside from cooter
lol the review below it
they cant even open the damn package
The product I received was flawed. After spending several hours struggling with the packaging, I finally obtained access to the cable. When I tried to plug it in, it didn't fit, so I started to try to force it in. After about an hour of this, I finally got the cable in. To my disarray, it did not work. Now, the cable is stuck in my computer (I'd assume broken), and I have one less USB port. I was very unhappy with the product.
FloppY_
­

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

haha aside from cooter
lol the review below it
they cant even open the damn package
The product I received was flawed. After spending several hours struggling with the packaging, I finally obtained access to the cable. When I tried to plug it in, it didn't fit, so I started to try to force it in. After about an hour of this, I finally got the cable in. To my disarray, it did not work. Now, the cable is stuck in my computer (I'd assume broken), and I have one less USB port. I was very unhappy with the product.
Troll reviews lol...

I thought this was a serious post at first...

Why does a HDMI cable cost $2k ?? lol
TravisC555
+118|6229|Cox Convention Center, OK
^^ Well the HDMI cable has bidirectional Ethernet communication and a Dielectric-Bias System for a clear connection.

The second to last review is written like a novel

Last edited by TravisC555 (2010-11-28 18:42:21)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5971|Places 'n such
Well, it's definitely the f3 making the beeps.
Everything's plugged in but it doesn't work. I'm too tired for this.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5798|Catherine Black
I plugged it into my TV and without any further prompt, I found myself in a crystal-clear, high-definition video chat with my wife Sadie. She passed away ten years ago.

[...]

God of War III ran amazingly, crystal clear, it was the highlight of my night.
lol
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
creative audio drivers are literally getting on my fucking nerves

installed that custom set but then none of the creative console or anything would work... great

some point having custom audio drivers when you can't adjust an EQ or set-up the surround sound, innit
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
alexb
<3
+590|5950|Kentucky, USA

Uzique wrote:

creative audio drivers are literally getting on my fucking nerves

installed that custom set but then none of the creative console or anything would work... great

some point having custom audio drivers when you can't adjust an EQ or set-up the surround sound, innit
Did you try the newer ones I linked? They work perfectly fine for me and many others Make sure to properly remove the previous drivers and software - use Driver Sweeper.

Last edited by alexb (2010-11-29 07:15:24)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
used driver sweeper

installed the 2.0 win7 x64 pack

still get the x-fi win7 static crackle problem

and i don't have a console to customize my sound from, either
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6752|FUCK UBISOFT

creative software and hardware are terrible.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Benzin
+576|6009

Finray wrote:

I seriously have no idea how anyone could use anything else. IE? Self explanatory. FF? Slow and bloated, need to set up multiple addons to make it usable. Chrome? Don't get me started. Terrible interface, seperate processes per tab? No thanks.
Finray, you trash IE, but have you even tried IE9? Lightning fast, stable, etc. I think in many tests it's even surpassed Chrome, but I honestly don't recall 100%.

FF is slow and bloated? I would say FF is only slow on a cold start, but the FF4 betas are all very promising considering how fast they are. Looking forward to the final RC version, not sure if I'll start using FF once FF4 is out, but I could see it as a nice competitor to Chrome.

Chrome running each tab in its own process is actually very smart. That means that if a website crashes the browser, it doesn't crash the entire browser, just the tab it's open in. Chrome is also one of the most secure browsers out there due to the sandbox that Google has built into the browser (similar to what Apple does with the iPhone and I believe Microsoft has done something similar with WP7) among other things.

So instead of instantly trashing other browsers, you might want to actually look at the subtle differences between all the various applications. I've used Opera 10, but I'm not a terribly large fan of the interface. It's not any faster than Chrome, either. As it is, I've got IE9 beta, most up to date stable FF (3.6.12) and the most up to date version of Chrome.

Then as far as your laughable response to Lastpass... learn to read and actually look through documentation and THEN form an opinion.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
i love chrome, except for the times my laptop feels the need to stop flash
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Computer_Guy
+54|6707
What program do i use to test hard drive reads and writes?

Last edited by Computer_Guy (2010-11-29 16:38:05)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5798|Catherine Black

CapnNismo wrote:

Finray wrote:

I seriously have no idea how anyone could use anything else. IE? Self explanatory. FF? Slow and bloated, need to set up multiple addons to make it usable. Chrome? Don't get me started. Terrible interface, seperate processes per tab? No thanks.
Finray, you trash IE, but have you even tried IE9? Lightning fast, stable, etc. I think in many tests it's even surpassed Chrome, but I honestly don't recall 100%.

FF is slow and bloated? I would say FF is only slow on a cold start, but the FF4 betas are all very promising considering how fast they are. Looking forward to the final RC version, not sure if I'll start using FF once FF4 is out, but I could see it as a nice competitor to Chrome.

Chrome running each tab in its own process is actually very smart. That means that if a website crashes the browser, it doesn't crash the entire browser, just the tab it's open in. Chrome is also one of the most secure browsers out there due to the sandbox that Google has built into the browser (similar to what Apple does with the iPhone and I believe Microsoft has done something similar with WP7) among other things.

So instead of instantly trashing other browsers, you might want to actually look at the subtle differences between all the various applications. I've used Opera 10, but I'm not a terribly large fan of the interface. It's not any faster than Chrome, either. As it is, I've got IE9 beta, most up to date stable FF (3.6.12) and the most up to date version of Chrome.

Then as far as your laughable response to Lastpass... learn to read and actually look through documentation and THEN form an opinion.
I have tried IE9. It's still terrible compared to the competition. Too 'family-friendly-noob-user' inclined. I don't know, I just really don't like it.

FF is generally accepted as being much slower than every other browser (bar IE) due to the amount of addons you need to make it decent. And betas don't exactly count, since, you know, they're betas.

I'll come across maybe one website a month that crashes my browser, so that 'upside' is useless, and I like to see how much memory usage things are using if my computer feels sluggish, so not having to add them up would be nice. A plus side that doesn't concern me (or the most users) and a downside that does. vOv

Obviously different users will have different needs, and as such prefer different browsers, but I was talking about me.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6322

Just tried Chrome for the first time and holy crap it's fast.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire

Finray wrote:

Obviously different users will have different needs, and as such prefer different browsers, but I was talking about me.
"I seriously have no idea how anyone could use anything else."
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6533|...

RTHKI wrote:

Finray wrote:

"I seriously have no idea how anyone could use anything else."
Finray is not really an authority on these matters
Computer_Guy
+54|6707

Computer_Guy wrote:

Anyone?
jsnipy
+3,276|6533|...

Computer_Guy wrote:

Computer_Guy wrote:

Anyone?
http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta … dex-e.html
FloppY_
­

Computer_Guy wrote:

Computer_Guy wrote:

Anyone?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=test+HDD+speed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard