Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6554|North Carolina
In this village in Pakistan's Punjab province a tearful 12-year-old girl ponders if the Pakistani government will soon hang her mother.

"Whenever I see her picture I cry," Isham Masih told CNN. "I want my mother back. That's what I'm praying for."

This month a Pakistani court sentenced Isham's mother, 45-year-old Asia Bibi, to death, not because she killed, injured or stole, but simply because she said something.

Prosecutors say Bibi, who is a Christian, broke Pakistan's strict blasphemy law by insulting Islam and the prophet Muhammad, a crime punishable by death or life imprisonment according to Pakistan's penal code.

The alleged incident happened in June 2009 when Bibi, a field worker, was picking fruit in a village two hours west of Lahore. Prosecutors say when Bibi dipped her cup into a bucket of drinking water during a lunch break, her co-workers complained the water had been contaminated by a non-Muslim.

Court records show the women got into a heated argument.

Magia Satar said she was there and heard Bibi's insults.

"She said your Muhammad had worms in his mouth before he died," Satar told CNN, a crude way of saying Muhammad was no prophet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/1 … l?iref=NS1

Quite a religion of peace Pakistan has.  For all the handwringing over how tolerant Muslims are supposed to be, it would seem that a good portion of the Islamic World certainly isn't tolerant of any criticism of their religion.

So, since Pakistan is supposedly our ally in the War on Terror, should we bother making a statement against such barbaric laws as this one, or would it even do any good?
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6110|Places 'n such
Pretty smart move insulting muhammed in the "Islamic Republic of Pakistan". What the hell do you expect?
#edit: no-one's ever been exectued under this law either.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2010-11-18 09:36:27)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5507|London, England
Are you taking over for Harmor?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5386|Cleveland, Ohio
worst religion in the world
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6110|Places 'n such

11 Bravo wrote:

Ha! that's like comparing different types of turd.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5386|Cleveland, Ohio

presidentsheep wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

not rly
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6372|Escea

presidentsheep wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

He's got a point though. Islam always stands out as the overly-sensitive kid on the block who goes ape-shit over the tiniest of issues.
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

lol...  I prefer the Pat Condell/Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens approach.

I hate all religion, but Islam has a special place among my disgust of it.
Turquoise
O Canada

presidentsheep wrote:

Pretty smart move insulting muhammed in the "Islamic Republic of Pakistan". What the hell do you expect?
I expect a country we consider to be our ally to be a little less loony than this.

Granted, we're also allies with another country of similar levels of lunacy -- Saudi Arabia.

Probably the best reason to distrust Islam in general is its explicit support for killing blasphemers.  Christianity is similar, but the difference with that religion is that most of its followers have evolved past this ridiculous belief.

Unfortunately, it would seem that a lot of Muslims haven't -- at least, a lot of Islamic governments certainly haven't.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6110|Places 'n such

Turquoise wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

I expect a country we consider to be our ally to be a little less loony than this.

Granted, we're also allies with another country of similar levels of lunacy -- Saudi Arabia.

Probably the best reason to distrust Islam in general is its explicit support for killing blasphemers.  Christianity is similar, but the difference with that religion is that most of its followers have evolved past this ridiculous belief.

Unfortunately, it would seem that a lot of Muslims haven't -- at least, a lot of Islamic governments certainly haven't.
Don't think evolving is really religions forte... Every religion has its stupid laws, the only difference that i can see between Islam and other religions is that they follow their supposed holy book more closely.
Turquoise
O Canada

presidentsheep wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Don't think evolving is really religions forte... Every religion has its stupid laws, the only difference that i can see between Islam and other religions is that they follow their supposed holy book more closely.
...which basically makes Islam much less compatible with modern secular society.  In order for a religion to properly adapt to a Western society, it must be less literalist and more metaphorical in its interpretation.

This is part of why evangelical Christianity is a thorn in the side of social progress in America.  Concepts like the Rapture can lead to irrational ways of thinking, along with absurd beliefs like believing that the world is only 6,000 years old.

The Islamic equivalents are things like believing blasphemers are deserving of death, honor killings are acceptable, or that women should be forced to cover themselves completely.

Still, believing that blasphemers deserve death is exceptionally incompatible with modern society because of its restraints on free speech.  When a country this prominent in the Islamic World still enforces laws against blasphemy, that's a very bad reflection on Islam in general.

Granted, Afghanistan is equally bad about that, if not worse, and we're supposed to be rebuilding their country.  Apparently, allowing them to have oppressive laws is part of the equation.   The fact that we think these people are ready for democracy when they can't even stomach criticism of their religion is very puzzling to me.  What we are doing is basically like handing a beer to a 4 year old.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-11-18 11:39:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6255|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

So, since Pakistan is supposedly our ally in the War on Terror, should we bother making a statement against such barbaric laws as this one, or would it even do any good?
Well, Iraq was an ally, Saudi Arabia is an ally, Israel is an ally.
Its hard to know which loony religious extremist ally to deal with first.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, Iraq was an ally, Saudi Arabia is an ally, Israel is an ally.
Its hard to know which loony religious extremist ally to deal with first.
No argument here.  The majority of the Middle East seems to be one big loony bin.

It's a shame so much oil is there.  If they didn't have oil, we'd just let these morons kill each other to their hearts' delight.

Maybe the world will be a better place once their oil is gone.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6820|UK
white power
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6622|Kakanien
muslims did pearl harbor
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

JohnG@lt wrote:

Too much reality for you ?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

11 Bravo wrote:

this is uziqe's que ~ ready. . .set . .  .   .
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

muslims did pearl harbor
Only " Great Japan " could make them look good by comparison. Maybe someone should issue them bayonets ?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lol...  I prefer the Pat Condell/Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens approach.

I hate all religion, but Islam has a special place among my disgust of it.
I don't hate any religion, I hate people who abuse and missuse power it gives them.

( uziqe yoo hoo ! ) ; )
Ticia
+73|5484
She must be interested in becoming a martyr. That has to be the only reason why you'd want to be a Catholic in Pakistan. Her Pope is too busy demonising Harry Potter to give her a had right now.
jsnipy
+3,276|6671|...

CNN chooses what to report.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6148|Vortex Ring State
I think it's more about the lack of non-religious advanced education, obviously.

New schools HAVE to be Koran study, blah, blah, blah

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2010-11-19 06:20:46)

Turquoise
O Canada

Ticia wrote:

She must be interested in becoming a martyr. That has to be the only reason why you'd want to be a Catholic in Pakistan. Her Pope is too busy demonising Harry Potter to give her a had right now.
Well, following any religion is generally going to be the result of one of the following:

1) you were born into it

2) you converted due to exposure to the faith or a personal experience

3) you were coerced into religion (which can be through family similar to #1 or through the state)

Choosing to be a Catholic in Pakistan is more common than you'd think.  There are a few million Christians and Hindus in Pakistan.

Selecting a religion other than Islam there isn't a statement of martyrdom, but with laws like this one in place, you're surely a second class citizen there.
Turquoise
O Canada

jsnipy wrote:

Just like any other source does...
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6148|Vortex Ring State

Turquoise wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Just like any other source does...
Massive innovation there. Although CNN isn't as bad as Fox because it ACTUALLY reports important shit when it happens, outside of party lines  and doesn't just air tributes to Reagan.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard