unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6921|PNW

Sorry, I should mention that "out of concern for our own lives and political interests" is the more believable reason. After Iwo Jima, we weren't too thrilled at the prospect of troop casualties, nor were we enthused at the prospect of potentially splitting the country with the USSR. The strategic bombing campaign is largely overlooked in favor of the nuclear spectacle (however horrid), and a continued assault in such a manner may have had the potential to hurt the country even more. The war was awful and civilians took it in the face.

Whether or not Japan would have actually surrendered in the face of continued strategic bombing, naval blockades and a land invasion really belongs in another thread... or a Harry Turtledove novel.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6924|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Sorry, I should mention that "out of concern for our own lives and political interests" is the more believable reason. After Iwo Jima, we weren't too thrilled at the prospect of troop casualties, nor were we enthused at the prospect of potentially splitting the country with the USSR. The strategic bombing campaign is largely overlooked in favor of the nuclear spectacle (however horrid), and a continued assault in such a manner may have had the potential to hurt the country even more. The war was awful and civilians took it in the face.

Whether or not Japan would have actually surrendered in the face of continued strategic bombing, naval blockades and a land invasion really belongs in another thread... or a Harry Turtledove novel.
there, you have just proven everything i said in this thread.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6560|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

America's rise from scrabbling former colonies to superpower status in less than 200 years =/= liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire
And you've completely missed the point. What other country has risen to superpower status as quickly? You can't look at anything objectively because you have on "hate America" blinders. To give any credence whatsoever to anything positive to anything that might have anything to do with America would make your fucking head explode.

All those things you listed (with the exception of the random "spent a lot on weapons") all have something significant to do with America's rise.

Deal with it.

Of course, that is not to say that the only course for a country's rise is the one America took. China is taking a different route, as is India. Theirs is based more on population base and economic power.

Dilbert_X wrote:

So you've spent a lot on weapons, and where's the entrepreneurial spirit here?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11332635
NEWSFLASH. There's an economic downturn. And it's worldwide. Poverty levels will be up everywhere, brainiac.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Stick to the measures which are relevant to the definition, and without extrapolating to some other irrelevant measure, or I'll argue I'm more intelligent than you because I'm taller which is proven by me having a two storey house.
Who's the one who brought up irrelevant measures again?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

Kmar wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

That would be true if I carried around personal guilt for what I had no control of .. which I don't. I've read disturbing things in American history .. way more disturbing then whats been posted so far.
for instance ?
For instance what Andrew Jackson did before he was president. It makes the trail of tears look like the Macys thanksgiving day parade.
thanks, apparently I am uninformed on this bit of history ~ let me research this. .  .
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6255|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

America's rise from scrabbling former colonies to superpower status in less than 200 years =/= liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire
And you've completely missed the point. What other country has risen to superpower status as quickly? You can't look at anything objectively because you have on "hate America" blinders.
OK, so the Saudi economy has risen more relatively in 50 years than America rose in 200, that means Saudi Arabia is even better than America at promoting liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire?

You're linking things which aren't linked.
NEWSFLASH. There's an economic downturn. And it's worldwide. Poverty levels will be up everywhere, brainiac.
And what caused the economic downturn? Individualism and laissez-faire perhaps?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-11-16 04:15:31)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6560|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And you've completely missed the point. What other country has risen to superpower status as quickly? You can't look at anything objectively because you have on "hate America" blinders.
OK, so the Saudi economy has risen more relatively in 50 years than America rose in 200, that means Saudi Arabia is even better than America at promoting liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire?

You're linking things which aren't linked.
No, I'm not. You're NOT linking things that are. Egalitarianism, for one. Populism, for another. Liberty, for another. Laissez-faire, for another. It's not just about the economy, is it?

China has the second largest economy, but they are hardly considered a superpower. Not even a second-tier power yet. Probably a third-tier power at this point. There are a whole host of other countries with smaller economies than China that are considered to be greater powers than them. But China is certainly rising at a faster rate than all others, due primarily to their population base (potential power, if you will).

Dilbert_X wrote:

And what caused the economic downturn? Individualism and laissez-faire perhaps?
Nope. Economic cycles caused it, exacerbated by partisan politics.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
China has the second largest economy, but they are hardly considered a superpower. Not even a second-tier power yet. Probably a third-tier power at this point. There are a whole host of other countries with smaller economies than China that are considered to be greater powers than them. But China is certainly rising at a faster rate than all others, due primarily to their population base (potential power, if you will).
Power, wars etc are all still irrelevant to 'exceptionalism'.

Nope. Economic cycles caused it, exacerbated by partisan politics.
Economic cycle wasn't part of it in any form, except the apparently booming economy let people take their eyes off the ball.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
what does your economic status as a world superpower have to do with exceptionalism?

do i really have to post the definition again? 8 pages in and the yanks are still fucking retards
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6554|North Carolina
Tell us how you really feel, Uzique.
Turquoise
O Canada

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Shahter wrote:

nobody has any moral supperriority in this regard, certrainly not those whos nation was the only one to actaully use nuclear weapons - and on cities full of civilians.
Which opens up a completely different can of worms: that of how many Japanese would have died under continued low-altitude firebombing and a land invasion...
... so you nuked them, just like that - out of consern for their lives. >.<
There's no denying that if obliterating the Japanese was our primary concern, we would have continued to firebomb Japan to the point that the Japanese would not exist today.

The general reasoning behind the nuking of Japan was that it could intimidate what remained of the Japanese resistance into surrendering, while at the same time it showed the USSR our full capabilities.   The Soviets had started to make moves in Europe that implied that they didn't see us as an equally dominating force, and so the revelation that we had a bomb that was far more destructive than any other ever created up to that point was enough to keep them in check briefly.

This approach worked pretty well until our nuclear secrets got leaked.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619

Turquoise wrote:

i feel very very disappointed that a number of supposedly 'intellectual' and 'philosophic' D&ST readers are incapable of reading one, very easily deciphered paragraph of a book. im furthermore disappointed that you guys that like to consider yourself well-read, erudite, well-thought and well-reasoned haven't even fucking read Tocqueville's 'Democracy in America' in the FIRST fucking place. is that what it means to be a 'smart' thinking person in america nowadays? to read pundit-blogs, watch fox news and 'debate' on internet forums by throwing around your misinformation, miseducation and idiocy in threads you know nothing about?

you americans here sure make a great case for an intelligentsia. fuck me. literally 8 pages and some of you don't grasp the basic precepts of an ALREADY SIMPLE political ideology.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

i feel very very disappointed that a number of supposedly 'intellectual' and 'philosophic' D&ST readers are incapable of reading one, very easily deciphered paragraph of a book. im furthermore disappointed that you guys that like to consider yourself well-read, erudite, well-thought and well-reasoned haven't even fucking read Tocqueville's 'Democracy in America' in the FIRST fucking place. is that what it means to be a 'smart' thinking person in america nowadays? to read pundit-blogs, watch fox news and 'debate' on internet forums by throwing around your misinformation, miseducation and idiocy in threads you know nothing about?

you americans here sure make a great case for an intelligentsia. fuck me. literally 8 pages and some of you don't grasp the basic precepts of an ALREADY SIMPLE political ideology.
Not all of us are Ivy League geniuses, Uzique.  You'll have to forgive us.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5507|London, England

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I dunno uzique, some of us are busy studying useful stuff. Decyphering what a dead guy wrote two hundred years ago isn't high up on my list right now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
it's absolutely intrinsic to your national identity

and yeah i guess what plato wrote about republic and democracy over 2,000 years ago is pretty irrelevant nowadays, too

and all that bible stuff... really pointless for 99% of modern americans, eh

fuck me you guys are serious idiots. is this the best excuse you can come up with for your total intellectual retardation?

'studying useful stuff'? i'd rather understand how my nation ideologically identifies itself than know how to make a bridge or play a fucking stock market
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5507|London, England

Uzique wrote:

and yeah i guess what plato wrote about republic and democracy over 2,000 years ago is pretty irrelevant nowadays, too

fuck me you guys are serious idiots. is this the best excuse you can come up with for your total intellectual retardation?

'studying useful stuff'? i'd rather understand how my nation ideologically identifies itself than know how to make a bridge or play a fucking stock market
Ok, that's you. My nation has no ideology. There's 330 million people in this country and 330 million opinions. What you see from the outside probably doesn't have a whole lot of relevance when seen from the street level. I don't know anyone who walks around thinking to himself 'damn, I'm so happy I live in such an exceptional nation'. That's an ivory tower bullshit argument. And I'm sorry uzique, but your studies in philosophy don't qualify you as any more of an intellectual than my studies in mathematics do. Get over yourself.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6924|Moscow, Russia

Turquoise wrote:

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Which opens up a completely different can of worms: that of how many Japanese would have died under continued low-altitude firebombing and a land invasion...
There's no denying that if obliterating the Japanese was our primary concern, we would have continued to firebomb Japan to the point that the Japanese would not exist today.

The general reasoning behind the nuking of Japan was that it could intimidate what remained of the Japanese resistance into surrendering, while at the same time it showed the USSR our full capabilities.   The Soviets had started to make moves in Europe that implied that they didn't see us as an equally dominating force, and so the revelation that we had a bomb that was far more destructive than any other ever created up to that point was enough to keep them in check briefly.
you haven't read a word i posted in this thread, dude.
let me make it quite plain for you: the very moment you - unnamednewb, yourself, and others who claim usa have any moral superriority over the rest of the world - condoned the use the methods you described above for the purposes mentioned, as soon as you admitted all that stuff, you lost this agrument. usa is just another participant in the endless competition between diferent nations in this world, you are not any different from everybody else. end of story.

Last edited by Shahter (2010-11-16 10:39:41)

Turquoise
O Canada

Shahter wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Shahter wrote:

you haven't read a word i posted in this thread, dude.
let me make it quite plain for you: the very moment you - unnamednewb, yourself, and others who claim usa have any moral superriority over the rest of the world - condoned the use the methods you described above for the purposes mentioned, as soon as you admitted all that stuff, you lost this agrument. usa is just another participant in the endless competition between diferent nations in this world, you are not any different from everybody else. end of story.
American Exceptionalism isn't really an argument of morals.  I was saying that it's bullshit regarding us being unique in a cultural sense.

Advocates of the academic idea behind American Exceptionalism aren't suggesting that we're more moral than anyone else -- they merely are stating that our heritage of being an immigrant-based society along with a strong appreciation for individualism make us exceptional -- as in unique, not superior.

The politicized version of American Exceptionalism is the one you seem to be arguing against -- the version that a lot of misguided patriotic people seem to promote.

However, my response was simply a correction of historical events.  We nuked Japan because it served multiple practical purposes -- not because it was the more moral choice.  Newbie essentially said the same.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6921|PNW

Again, exceptionalism isn't unique. It's just exceptional.

Shahter wrote:

there, you have just proven everything i said in this thread.
Eh...

I could always say you've just proven everything unhealthy about bananas, but it wouldn't make much sense.

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewb, yourself, and others who claim usa have any moral superriority over the rest of the world - condoned the use the methods you described above for the purposes mentioned, as soon as you admitted all that stuff, you lost this agrument.
Didn't I just say that self-preservation was the motive of the firebombing and nukes? Japanese lives potentially saved is an aside, but this was WW2. The immediate objective was to win. I can see why the method was taken if it was seen to diminish the nightmarish casualty rate, but I think more Americans regret the subsequent suffering than is widely believed. That's the last time I'm going to address nukes in this thread.

Uzique wrote:

I can scarcely believe the content of that quote, considering you spend a significant amount of time here calling entire groups of people inferior, bragging about your stellar video game skills and experience and how high brow your reading choices supposedly are.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Ok, that's you. My nation has no ideology. There's 330 million people in this country and 330 million opinions. What you see from the outside probably doesn't have a whole lot of relevance when seen from the street level. I don't know anyone who walks around thinking to himself 'damn, I'm so happy I live in such an exceptional nation'. That's an ivory tower bullshit argument. And I'm sorry uzique, but your studies in philosophy don't qualify you as any more of an intellectual than my studies in mathematics do. Get over yourself.
galt
galt
galt

we're talking about american exceptionalism

"that's you, my nation has no ideology"?

THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS ABOUT THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN IDEOLOGY

get over myself? where am i asserting my supreme qualification? im asking you jackasses to read a fucking paragraph, that's all

you guys are pathetic
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JG wrote:

I dunno uzique, some of us are busy studying useful stuff. Decyphering what a dead guy wrote two hundred years ago isn't high up on my list right now.
Your constitution is rubbish and irrelevant, I'd tear it up, after all the guy who wrote it is dead.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-11-16 14:42:50)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6750|132 and Bush

It's still being written and re-written. So are the more relevant State Constitutions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

JG wrote:

Your constitution is rubbish and irrelevant, I'd tear it up, after all the guy who wrote it is dead.
troll harder
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5386|Cleveland, Ohio
he will
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6924|Moscow, Russia

Turquoise wrote:

American Exceptionalism isn't really an argument of morals.
oh, it's not? well, then there's nothing left to discuss.
"american exceptionalism" is piece of phony propaganda.
/thread

Last edited by Shahter (2010-11-16 21:40:28)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
yeah, man, like propaganda for the american democratic project... invented by that most typical of american propagandists... a french member of the aristocracy

shahter you're normally not quite so stupid

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard