wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

They're just 2 different approaches. Some people prefer full body workouts, other people prefer muscle group splits. I've read several studies about which is "better" and there isn't really a more effective workout. If anything the results leaned slightly towards full body. It just kind of depends on how your body responds to it, so it's basically whichever you prefer.
Full body workouts should be done by anybody who's just starting out with workouts. Once you've plateaued with that (you usually do) then you go into concentrating on specific muscle groups each day.

Starting off by doing concentrated workouts will get you nowhere, as your body isn't used to the overall idea of a workout in the first place.
I think Zimmer definitely has it bang on here, I don't think I'd have enough gas to exhaust all muscle groups. I usually just stick to two or three.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
holy shit. i didn't realize there was an enormous discussion based around this in the workout/bodybuilding world. Guess I should have done a little research on my own first.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that some workouts work for some people and some work for others. Though you may be right Zim, not everyone has the same genes that react the same way and one may just have to try both before they realize what's best for THEIR body.

Personally, I did full body's and the combination of only going a few times a week (making it easy to miss a day if something came up or I felt lazy) never got me into a routine plus pure lack of energy nearing the end of my workout plus not terribly noticeable gains after a noticeable amount of time made me look into split training. If I go a LOT I can force myself into going and not being lazy, I won't be dead tired on my last reps of whatever for the day, and with splits I've noticed much more size (weight, muscle, and definition). So for me I think splits will work better. And who knows, in a few months I might switch to full body's because I need to switch it up for my body.

tldnr; I think this guy says it best:

some guy from bodybuilding.com wrote:

To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

I've put on 7lbs since starting back at the gym. Hopefully I've also lost some fat in that time too. Protein seems to be making a big difference, definitely noticed most gains since I starting taking that. Once I'm back from Vegas this weekend I'll be cutting way down on my drinking so that should help out a bit.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-10-26 12:45:48)

Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

They're just 2 different approaches. Some people prefer full body workouts, other people prefer muscle group splits. I've read several studies about which is "better" and there isn't really a more effective workout. If anything the results leaned slightly towards full body. It just kind of depends on how your body responds to it, so it's basically whichever you prefer.
Full body workouts should be done by anybody who's just starting out with workouts. Once you've plateaued with that (you usually do) then you go into concentrating on specific muscle groups each day.

Starting off by doing concentrated workouts will get you nowhere, as your body isn't used to the overall idea of a workout in the first place.
I agree. Several studies I've read came to the conclusion that for the vast majority of lifters, they would not ever get to the point that split routines would be as effective as full body routines. To a general audience, they recommended full body because 90% of readers would never get to the point that they needed a split. I can't say much about this from personal experience because I haven't been lifting for long enough to be able to say which has worked more effectively for me. But I am inclined to say you should go with whatever your body responds to better, starting with full body and then switching to a split if/when you ever get to that point.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Home wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

I agree. Several studies I've read came to the conclusion that for the vast majority of lifters, they would not ever get to the point that split routines would be as effective as full body routines. To a general audience, they recommended full body because 90% of readers would never get to the point that they needed a split. I can't say much about this from personal experience because I haven't been lifting for long enough to be able to say which has worked more effectively for me. But I am inclined to say you should go with whatever your body responds to better, starting with full body and then switching to a split if/when you ever get to that point.
I loved full body when I could do them. Now I need a split to feel burn. It's getting progressively hard to build for me, so I need to start super setting.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Leg day today. Gonna give shoulders a rest as my right one is hurting again a little bit.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver

Jebus wrote:

Leg day today. Gonna give shoulders a rest as my right one is hurting again a little bit.
Leg day yesterday... I r the soreness today.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Absolute shit training. Couldn't even deadlift the weight for 1 rep on my third set I repped 5 times last week on my fifth set.

Feelsbadman
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK
Bench press was taken for about 7-8 sets. Really didn't want to jump in since they were doing craaaazy weights! Ended up doing 30kg on each arm dumbbell press felt like I was going to shit a brick and snap my arms! I think mixing it up really helped though.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Did legs for the first time in about a month, none of the gyms I have access to have leg press machines so I'd been putting it off.
Finally got round to doing it and subbed in doing squats on the smiths machine instead. Had never done squats before in my life and felt everything the night and day after.
Going to do all my routines in almost backwards order for the next few months to see what happens.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
SonderKommando
Last night while leg pressing I would let out a long fart with each rep (when the sled came down).  It was embarrassing and slightly funny, but i couldnt help it.  Damn these protein farts.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Leg pressed today too, did let lose a few farts aswell.. And yeah, protein farts smell
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK

SonderKommando wrote:

Last night while leg pressing I would let out a long fart with each rep (when the sled came down).  It was embarrassing and slightly funny, but i couldnt help it.  Damn these protein farts.
Gross I was spotting incline for my mate last night. He did about one rep I saw him starting to laugh because he smelt a fart I then said "God someone just fart" He couldn't complete the set ended up having to just sit out for a few minutes.
SonderKommando
My protein farts smell like chicken from 1-5pm and then like pure ass after the tuna and veggies get mixed in.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
haha
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

wah1188 wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Gross I was spotting incline for my mate last night. He did about one rep I saw him starting to laugh because he smelt a fart I then said "God someone just fart" He couldn't complete the set ended up having to just sit out for a few minutes.
haha I hate when you laugh while doing sets, completely takes the energy out of you. Always happens to me and my friends when the guy laying on the bench exhales hard and it blows up the spotters shirt
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK

Home wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

haha I hate when you laugh while doing sets, completely takes the energy out of you. Always happens to me and my friends when the guy laying on the bench exhales hard and it blows up the spotters shirt
Ergh hate it when you get a whiff of breath uugh. I completely lost focus for a bit when I laugh have to just sit it out. Hot women walking past have the same effect well distracting. Sometimes they are motivating though.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Found sonder on youtube again

SonderKommando

Jebus wrote:

Found sonder on youtube again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRzV9hNhv4
My wife saw Ron at teh Olympia in Vegas eatinga  HUGE plate of cheese fries
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

what an awesome gym

Last edited by Jebus (2010-10-28 08:39:25)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
e3pxgoR3PP8
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

m3thod wrote:

e3pxgoR3PP8
my bad, fixed.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland
Pretty awesome video!
SonderKommando