wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK
I have a massive fear of squats. How are you meant to move up in weight without dying?
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6629|The darkside of Denver
Progessively. Just add 5-10lbs every two to four weeks or so.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
use a light weight and build up slowly.  You'll get respect for actually doing them.  If you're still apprehensive, get someone to support you....but that will involve them hugging you from behind and following the your movement as you squat and then stand.....

Squats will be part of the arsenal of anybody who is serious about muscular development.  Guarantee it.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
SonderKommando
Start with the bar or do shadow squats to get your form right too.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK
I mean I did 50kg pretty easy yesterday felt like I could do more, last time I did 60kg though I dropped straight away. That was a long time ago though. I just feel so scared!
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
I tend to increase my squat weight very slowly. I mean I could easily rep 80kgs for 5 reps, but my form will start suffering and my knees even more.. Meaning I have to keep the weight low and do the movement very slow (which puts loads of stress on your muscles anyway) to keep my form correct
Home
Section.80
+447|6817|Seattle, Washington, USA

My squat has gone up nearly 100 lbs and my deadlift 30 lbs since I started 5x5s. My bench has only gone up 15 lbs or so.

However I think I finally figured it out today! Widened my grip up, focused on my breathing, and took a 5-6 minute rest (longer than I've ever taken) between sets and ended up not even needing a spot on a weight that I was barely putting up last time. feelsgoodman
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
My squats started at 40kg and went up to 100kg within a 3-4 months doing it once a week. Just increase the weight gradually and you won't have any problems.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Did the cut down version of the 300 routine yesterday, once again nearly died.
Ache quite a lot today, but I think it is from neglecting to do that routine for a while; I had a shake straight after and then had eggs and beans and cottage cheese
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Any tips for dropping a few pounds? I'm not particularily overweight, but I do have a little extra fat covering my abs that I'd like to get rid of. The internet is surprisingly unhelpful on this because everyone is telling you losing weight is impossible on your own and trying to get you to spend $50 on their diet and exercise plan. What is there out there that can help me figure out a decent nutrition plan?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Eat better exercise more is always good if not particularly helpful. Cardio for just burning fat IMO, but I'm not sure if everyone will agree on here, and I can bet money on someone else saying it's bullshit. Everyone is different, that's why it's so hard.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
don't eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.
stay away from carbs, you don't need them.
don't eat any junk foods.
drink water.
eat 5-6 small meals per day rather then 2-3 big meals.

if you keep that up for a couple of months you'll be just skinny enough to barely see your rib cage

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-10-21 20:34:13)

Home
Section.80
+447|6817|Seattle, Washington, USA

As far as eating, follow Hai's adivce, plus:
Try to eat a lot of protein, it will make you feel fuller so you won't need to eat as much.
Drinking a lot of water can help this too.

For exercise:
Normal cardio (which I'm sure you know how to do)
Or HIIT, which has been proven to be more effective for fat loss. Basically, you sprint for 30-60 seconds and then walk for an equal amount of time on an off for as long as you can (it will probably be less than 10 minutes.)

Just remember that to lose fat, you need to be under maintenance. If 3,000 calories a day keeps you at your current weight, than you need to be getting less than that everyday.
SonderKommando

HaiBai wrote:

don't eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.
stay away from carbs simple carbs, you don't need them.
don't eat any junk foods.
drink water.
eat 5-6 small meals per day rather then 2-3 big meals.

if you keep that up for a couple of months you'll be just skinny enough to barely see your rib cage
this is good advice but you still need carbs for energy complex carbs like whole weat pasta's and oatmeal, maybe 1-2 servings a day.
*STOP DRINKING BEER AND EVEN LIQUOR
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

SonderKommando wrote:

*STOP DRINKING BEER AND EVEN LIQUOR
i'm out.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Managed 50KG on the smith machine the other day. My target is body weight, currently 65KG.

Any super secret tips to get ripped uper body? I've certainly improved since I've been at the gym but progress is still kinda slow. I'm doing 10 sets of 5 reps on the smith machine, and 5 sets of 70 reps stomach crunches, and 5 sets of 20 reps of reverse crunches with 20KG on my chest. I have a protien/calorie milkshake thing before and after working out, and I'm also trying to get more protein in my diet, I'm more looking for tips on excercises.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Finfag how tall are you
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Bout 5" 10'
SonderKommando

Finray wrote:

Managed 50KG on the smith machine the other day. My target is body weight, currently 65KG.

Any super secret tips to get ripped uper body? I've certainly improved since I've been at the gym but progress is still kinda slow. I'm doing 10 sets of 5 reps on the smith machine, and 5 sets of 70 reps stomach crunches, and 5 sets of 20 reps of reverse crunches with 20KG on my chest. I have a protien/calorie milkshake thing before and after working out, and I'm also trying to get more protein in my diet, I'm more looking for tips on excercises.
Get off the smith machine.... its for girls and old men.  Workout more than just your fuckign upper body you douche.  Compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, hang cleans..... Work this split for awhile

Legs day one
Chest and Tris-day two
Back and Bi day- day three
Shoulders (front delts rea delts and traps- day four
Abs- Day Five
two days of rest mixed in

Eat properly 5-6 meals a day, low fat and simple carbs\high protiein.  3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.

Ur doin it all wrong.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Do more than just Chest and abs, you'll look even more of a douche.
At least whole upper body workout IMO, shoulders, arms, back especially. I love how my back has some pretty good definition now.
Try doing some dumb-bell flys and incline presses for your chest.
Less crunches, more leg raises/reverse crunches.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
What's the benefit of working my lower body too? I don't want to and don't need to. Woulda thought more upper body specific workouts would be better than ones that do both.

Also what's wrong with the smith machine? It's just like a bench press just safer. Best I've got in the gym. All the rest is cardio, free weights (up to 20KG) or machines, which all suck.

Also I don't really control my diet much, since I'm not the one buying the food. I'm not looking for proper bodybuilders bible guidelines, just some achievable tips.

Also my life is too hectic atm to get five days workouts in
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
So do what I said, but put a leg day in as well.
If the smith machine is over a bench, you can do the incline presses no problem, and up to 20kg should be enough for flys and arms.
You won't be doing the core exercises, but if you can't/won't go to another gym then you're not going improve as much as you might.
SonderKommando

Finray wrote:

What's the benefit of working my lower body too? I don't want to and don't need to. Woulda thought more upper body specific workouts would be better than ones that do both.

Also what's wrong with the smith machine? It's just like a bench press just safer. Best I've got in the gym. All the rest is cardio, free weights (up to 20KG) or machines, which all suck.

Also I don't really control my diet much, since I'm not the one buying the food. I'm not looking for proper bodybuilders bible guidelines, just some achievable tips.

Also my life is too hectic atm to get five days workouts in
Hectic?  I worked two fucking jobs and was a full time student and found time to lift 5 days a week. Excueses.  The smith machine balances the weigth for you, free weights force your muscles to do the balancing which is better for strength training in my opinion. 

Compound lifts like squats and deads work more than just legs and back respectively.  They are compound lifts that will improve your overall strength in other areas too.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
If I could get to the gym 5 times a week I would. No excuses about it.

So what should I do? Try the same lifting as the smith machine but with free weights?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Yes.
But less weight obviously, the smith makes 20kg feel about 2kg

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2010-10-22 11:26:11)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard