SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver

Jebus wrote:

Yeah, calves is pretty much all genetics innit? I have quite big calves, compared to my quads. Could be from playing handball for a few years, I don't know, but I'm glad those aren't lagging behind.

Had an absolute shit day today. Lost my bike keys so had to walk all the way to the gym/home. Could've grabbed the bus home but didn't want to miss my workout. Did chest/biceps today. Didn't do a complete workout, but a more intense one. Shorter rests and a drop/neg set at the end of every muscle. Was a great way to get some anger outta my system.
I feel ya.  I love how everythign just melts away in the gym.  When im lifting my mind is blank.  Literally nothing, its such a good feeling.
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

First day of 5x5s at the new gym today. It felt weird doing so few exercises compared to what I was doing before, but I liked this structure better for squats.
SonderKommando

Home wrote:

First day of 5x5s at the new gym today. It felt weird doing so few exercises compared to what I was doing before, but I liked this structure better for squats.
Just do the 5 x 5 for 4-6 weeks and then switch back to hypertrophy training.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6565|Toronto-Canada
i'm going to miss my monday workout 

i hate flu, it is so annoying having a running nose
SonderKommando
Ive been meaning to post a pic of my quads, they've gotten huge.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

lxcpikiman wrote:

i'm going to miss my monday workout 

i hate flu, it is so annoying having a running nose
I wouldnt worry about it.  As long as you're consistant with the workouts being ill will have almost zero affect on your muscles mass.  In fact i would recommend taking a week off and return fit and healthy.

It takes about 3 weeks for your muscles to start regressing if you do absoutley nothing, and even then doing cardio in the absence of weights (no more than 45 mins) will dramtically keep any muscle mass loss at bay. 

if i have to stay at a hotel because of my work and the gym is shite, i just do cardio and notice zero muscle loss.

Last edited by m3thod (2010-09-27 15:49:36)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Question:

What is/are a good bench press replacement?

I go to the gym alone a lot and I have a fear of even a 45lb bar dropping on my neck without and strength left to lift it off so I tend to stay clear of the bench press. I know it's a really good machine so I'm trying to find a few replacements:
ie preacher machine and peck deck

What should I be using?
It's mostly biceps and chest right? That's what it seems. Obv there's more secondary groups its working but those seem like the two majors.

edit: keep in mind i go to a university gym which is never NOT full. Im often waiting on machines or benches or dumbbells so don't get too excited and suggest stuff that takes either a whole lot of time, a whole lot of room, or rearranging of machines. If I must then I must and I'll do what i can because i trust y'all but if you can help me with what you think is readily available that would help immensely.
Much appreciated.

Last edited by pirana6 (2010-09-29 02:13:57)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK

pirana6 wrote:

Question:

What is/are a good bench press replacement?

I go to the gym alone a lot and I have a fear of even a 45lb bar dropping on my neck without and strength left to lift it off so I tend to stay clear of the bench press. I know it's a really good machine so I'm trying to find a few replacements:
ie preacher machine and peck deck

What should I be using?
It's mostly biceps and chest right? That's what it seems. Obv there's more secondary groups its working but those seem like the two majors.

edit: keep in mind i go to a university gym which is never NOT full. Im often waiting on machines or benches or dumbbells so don't get too excited and suggest stuff that takes either a whole lot of time, a whole lot of room, or rearranging of machines. If I must then I must and I'll do what i can because i trust y'all but if you can help me with what you think is readily available that would help immensely.
Much appreciated.
Use dumbbells please please stay away from machines they literally do nothing. I wasted my time on them damn things!

Flat dumbbell press, incline dumbbell press. Dumbbell flys.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Or just do a regular bench press. It's not like your muscles will fail all at once, resulting in the bar dropping on your chest. Atleast not yet

Just don't be stupid, or if you're in trouble roll the bar on your stomach, sit up, and place it back.

OT: First day doing legs today after the knee problem. Taped my knee a bit and it went fine. Didn't go that heavy on squats yet. Deadlift went fine. I filmed it, so if I upload it here, would you guys be able to tell me if my technique's fine?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
thanks guys.

I feel like dumbbell press/flys don't do nearly as much as a bench press. like you can only lift half the weight or something.

Jebus: when i'm lifting by the middle/end of the last set (i usually only do 3) i'm gonna need a spot so if I just don't use as much weight or only do half of my last set I feel like i'm not getting the full workout
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

Just ask for a spot man, I've never said no to someone and no one has ever said no to me. Might feel kind of awkward at first but trust me, 99% of people will be cool about it.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
So wait a minute, do dumbells and such in the Euroland and such places have the weights in kilograms or pounds? IIRC 5 lbs is 2.3 kg and decimals on a dumbell/machine seem strange.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
The bench in my gym has lbs and kgs, but the dumbells are only in kg.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

DesertFox- wrote:

So wait a minute, do dumbells and such in the Euroland and such places have the weights in kilograms or pounds? IIRC 5 lbs is 2.3 kg and decimals on a dumbell/machine seem strange.
Mine say KG.. Atleast, I think they do

Compare them to a plate next time you're there (plates should have kg/lbs on them)

Home wrote:

Just ask for a spot man, I've never said no to someone and no one has ever said no to me. Might feel kind of awkward at first but trust me, 99% of people will be cool about it.
²

Got to know some people I'd otherwise have never talked to that way. They're good friends now, always up for a chat between some sets :p

Last edited by Jebus (2010-09-30 02:25:51)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Uploaded deadlift video..
This is just short of 100KG. Improving weight every session so far, but can't stress it too much with my knee(s).

Sorry for having to break your neck btw

Last edited by Jebus (2010-09-30 04:48:14)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

DesertFox- wrote:

KG for everything at the gyms ive been to. The minimum difference is .5kg anyway, so its not particularly confusing.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

DesertFox- wrote:

I've been to about 5 different gyms and have my own set, all have had both pounds and KG from what I remember. I use pounds but it doesn't matter either way tbh.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

Jebus wrote:

Uploaded deadlift video..
This is just short of 100KG. Improving weight every session so far, but can't stress it too much with my knee(s).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKvSw50OnaU

Sorry for having to break your neck btw
your lift it fine.

Your drop is however, is poor.  You seem to be releasing the bar and crashing the weight on the floor.  Unlock your knees and roll the bar slowly down your shins untill the plate taps the floor.  You should experince a good stretch in your hamstring.  Hopefully you're also holding your stomach (like someone is going to punch you) throughout the exercise.

Look into the Romanian Deadlift for a good Hamstring exercise.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
Yeah, I push my chest forward before lifting and tighten my abs. Nice call on the drop, I'll work on that.

Thanks
SonderKommando

Jebus wrote:

Yeah, I push my chest forward before lifting and tighten my abs. Nice call on the drop, I'll work on that.

Thanks
Yea you look good. I agree the drop is a little out of control, but EVERYONE is guilty of that once and awhile, especially when lifing heavy.  Otherwise your form look really good man. 

Hell, I was suprised at how well you did.  Looking good man, keep up the hard work.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Woop, just signed up at the uni gym. Gotta drop a few pounds for the pools in Vegas next month.
SonderKommando

ghettoperson wrote:

Woop, just signed up at the uni gym. Gotta drop a few pounds for the pools in Vegas next month.
Good man.  Mix in a good meal plan and you can shed BF in no time.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...

m3thod wrote:

start light, develop good form, build the weight up slowly.
Depends kinda on your body type aswell. From what I've seen I suppose Fin is as ectomorph as it gets, and usually you're gonna be better off lifting heavy most of the time if that's the case. Ofcourse don't start out too heavy but if you don't it's gonna take a long ass time to build a little mass.

Most importantly... eat more. Just eat anything you lay your eyes on. Keep eating. If you're not hungry, eat till you're stuffed.

From that point onward it's very easy:

eat 24/7
excersise regularily
excersise effectively

Oh and with eat more I don't mean eat 5 bags of potato chips... you're probably gonna be burning more calories eating that than you gain.
inane little opines
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium

SonderKommando wrote:

Jebus wrote:

Thanks
Yea you look good. I agree the drop is a little out of control, but EVERYONE is guilty of that once and awhile, especially when lifing heavy.  Otherwise your form look really good man. 

Hell, I was suprised at how well you did.  Looking good man, keep up the hard work.
Thanks man. I'll be sure to work on the drop, I guess I just wasn't aware

Gonna have to work on squat form some more. I noticed yesterday during my warm up, when I did some reps really slow, my left leg didn't go as low as my right leg. Could be from the supporting tape I taped below my knee before my session, but I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out next time!
SonderKommando

Jebus wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Jebus wrote:

Thanks

Thanks man. I'll be sure to work on the drop, I guess I just wasn't aware

Gonna have to work on squat form some more. I noticed yesterday during my warm up, when I did some reps really slow, my left leg didn't go as low as my right leg. Could be from the supporting tape I taped below my knee before my session, but I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out next time!
I wouldnt sweat that drop too much Jebus.  I mean granted you COULD get hurt, but like I said everyone is guilty of that.  Just try and be mindful of it.  You always want to be in control of the weights.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard