CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6101|Carnoustie MASSIF
source

The widow of a July 7 suicide bomber yesterday launched a High Court bid to be represented at the victims’ inquest - saying she had also suffered the loss of a loved one in the atrocity.

Hasina Patel, whose husband was terrorist mastermind Mohammad Sidique Khan, is seeking legal aid to challenge the coroner’s decision to exclude Khan’s death from the hearing for the 52 victims of the 2005 London bombings.

If the mother of one’s application is granted, October’s long-awaited inquest could be delayed by months of legal wrangling, to the distress of those who have waited more than five years for it to take place.

Lawyers for Miss Patel claim there should be ‘no material distinction’ between her and the families of those killed, because she ‘equally suffered the loss of a relative’.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/25/article-1306076-01430996000004B0-518_233x423.jpg

But the move will anger bereaved families, who do not want the deaths of the terrorists included in the same inquest as the 52 innocents whose lives they took.

Miss Patel hopes to overturn the decision made by Lady Justice Hallett in May to hold a separate hearing into the deaths of the four bombers - Mohammad Sidique Khan, 30, Shehzad Tanweer, 22, Hasib Hussain, 18, and Jermaine Lindsay, 19.

The Government has already agreed to give legal aid to the families of the 52 victims. But Miss Patel’s request for equal funding was refused in May this year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z0xistvQ00
Seriously? Yes, it's from a right-wing paper, but come on. This takes the piss out of out entire justice system.

I think this is completely ridiculous, I don't care if she didn't know what he was planning, the guy knew full well what he was up to. Yes, she's a widow, but in my eyes she doesn't deserve this at all.

What do you guys think?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5759|Catherine Black
Jesus fucking christ..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Probably shouldn't.  It is a bad precedent to set.  Giving payouts to the family of suicide bombers...probably not a good practice.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6101|North Tonawanda, NY
She just wants money.  And it is ridiculous.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6713|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
same shit has been argued for years here in the North of Ireland, the trouble is defining "Victim" - so it ends up the bomber killed by the device they planted to kill others is as much a victim apparently..
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

IG-Calibre wrote:

same shit has been argued for years here in the North of Ireland, the trouble is defining "Victim" - so it ends up the bomber killed by the device they planted to kill others is as much a victim apparently..
If someone elects to die by the working of the device they built, are they really a 'victim'?  And since they did it of their own choosing, are their family members victims of the same tragedy also?  I'd say no to either one.
CammRobb
Banned

SenorToenails wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

If someone elects to die by the working of the device they built, are they really a 'victim'?  And since they did it of their own choosing, are their family members victims of the same tragedy also?  I'd say no to either one.
She's not saying he was teh victim, she's saying that she is a victim of his actions. The audacity of that though, her grouping herself with the real victims.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

CammRobb wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

She's not saying he was teh victim, she's saying that she is a victim of his actions. The audacity of that though, her grouping herself with the real victims.
That's what the second question addressed.  He did it to himself, so he obviously isn't a victim (IG brought that up) and I don't think she can be called a victim either, since he chose to do this thing.

And yes, quite audacious.  People will do anything for money...
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

CammRobb wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

Well, if she truly had no idea...she really is a victim of the situation as well.  She was lied to, betrayed and has now lost the father of her child. 

Now, as I have said...I don't think she should get anything for it, for precedent sake.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England
I don't really understand how there can be compensation for any of the victims really, who's fault was it? They're all dead. So how can there be any payout. I don't understand how the government is supposedly footing a compensation bill here. As cold hearted as it sounds to some, it doesn't make any sense.

I suppose really the insurance companies should be paying out, for those that took out some sort of life insurance or some shit, I dunno. Then you'd argue that suicide bombing is something that you're not going to be insured for, so you won't get any payouts if someone does that...
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Mekstizzle wrote:

I don't really understand how there can be compensation for any of the victims really, who's fault was it? They're all dead. So how can there be any payout. I don't understand how the government is supposedly footing a compensation bill here. As cold hearted as it sounds to some, it doesn't make any sense.

I suppose really the insurance companies should be paying out, for those that took out some sort of life insurance or some shit, I dunno. Then you'd argue that suicide bombing is something that you're not going to be insured for, so you won't get any payouts if someone does that...
I mentioned this article to a coworker of mine, and we were talking about the same thing.  Why do people who die in 'terror attacks' get money from the government, but the larger quantity of people who die in automobile accidents and other mundane 'early' deaths don't get anything special?  You die, then you die.  That's the point of life insurance and it highlights the need to have some sort of plan for your family in case your plane crashes or whatever.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2010-08-26 08:32:17)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6373|dm_maidenhead
Why not? She suffered the death of a loved one. If they can't prove she had knowledge or information regarding the attacks before they took place then she should be entitled to equal compensation.
CammRobb
Banned

Peter wrote:

Why not? She suffered the death of a loved one. If they can't prove she had knowledge or information regarding the attacks before they took place then she should be entitled to equal compensation.
"She suffered the death of a loved one"

You can hardly call it a death. The moron blew himself up, taking scores of people with him.
Zukabazuka
+23|6656
This wouldn't be the right way, think about it. If one get money for it, more people will ask for it and soon people will use it as a way to get income for their family. Suicide shouldn't be a thing you would get money for. He did it himself and his family/wife shouldn't really get anything from it.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6373|dm_maidenhead

CammRobb wrote:

Peter wrote:

You can hardly call it a death. The moron blew himself up, taking scores of people with him.
Pretty sure he still died.

Also when I say equal compensation. I don't think the government should be giving any of them money. Equal of zero is zero, BUT she deserves to be treated the same.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6734|d

CammRobb wrote:

Peter wrote:

Still dead.
CammRobb
Banned

Peter wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Peter wrote:

Also when I say equal compensation. I don't think the government should be giving any of them money. Equal of zero is zero, BUT she deserves to be treated the same.
Why does SHE deserve to be treated the same?
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Camm...she didn't do anything...

She should not be treated as the criminal just because you don't think she is a "victim".
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Peter wrote:

this post is based on the assumption that somebody is owed compensation by 'x' party or the state for the death of a loved one.

consider for just a moment how retarded that precedent would be?

civil legal proceedings seek to rectify a 'harm done' or to remunerate a party that has suffered pecuniary losses.

there are neither in this case, and thus it'll be thrown out faster than the daily mail can whittle off a 'witty' racist pun.

/thread.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned

tuckergustav wrote:

She should not be treated as the criminal just because you don't think she is a "victim".
I'm not saying she deserves to be treated like a criminal.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6373|dm_maidenhead

CammRobb wrote:

Peter wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Why should SHE be treated differently?
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

CammRobb wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

I'm not saying she deserves to be treated like a criminal.

CammRobb wrote:

I know you didn't say she deserved to be treated as a criminal...but the tone of this response suggests that she is somehow less of a victim than anyone else in the situation. 

I guess I could put myself into her shoes...if my husband were to do something similar...I would feel pretty victimized as well.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
the answer is because she's a dirty muslim whose 'moron' husband clearly had the wrong religious beliefs and attitudes.

camm reads the daily mail... these latent, inherent racist attitudes are to be expected.

all the while calling other people 'morons'... i love it when british tabloid readers think they have a nose to look down!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned

Uzique wrote:

the answer is because she's a dirty muslim whose 'moron' husband clearly had the wrong religious beliefs and attitudes.

camm reads the daily mail... these latent, inherent racist attitudes are to be expected.

all the while calling other people 'morons'... i love it when british tabloid readers think they have a nose to look down!
That's right, cause Islam is a pretty cool religion, great beliefs, fantastic values on life.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
no more than jews/christians/etc

I like zoroaster myself
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard