13/f/taiwan
+940|5707

DBBrinson1 wrote:

F'em.  They can build it somewhere else.  Or good luck to em on actually getting it built...

http://www.bluecollarcorner.com/blog/?p=750
haha, do you really think it's going to stop the 'mosque' from being built? do you know how many construction groups are in nyc? do you know that there are many muslim/non-racist contractors who will take the job? for every 1 person who refuses to work on the site there are 5 more who are lined up and ready to take the job.

Islam prevails!
13rin
+977|6488
try to build something in NYC without union support.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA
Coupla problems, this mosque is not being built several blocks from ground zero. This mosque site is part of ground zero when the landing gear fell on it.
Like it or not, it is historical and  this site means something to a lot of people.
Like it or not, this was done in the name of Islam. and like it or not it rubs people wrong that a symbol of that very religion is going to be build on top of the ruins.

No one has claimed they "have no right". In fact they absolutely do have a right. The protests have been peaceful against this project.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf refuses to listen to these concerns and entertain offers to build somewhere else.

Iran money is being considered to be accepted in support of funding for this project. Iran celebrated the 9/11 attacks.

Islam itself does not allow the reverse to take place in Islamic countries. The irony.

As I said in the other thread, but largely ignored. A Japanese Shinto temple at Pearl Harbor, would face the same resistance.

This isn't racism ( did I ever mention Islam is not a race?). To spew that same old bullshit in lieu of addressing the issues is nothing more than the usual dismissals.
13rin
+977|6488

lowing wrote:

Coupla problems, this mosque is not being built several blocks from ground zero. This mosque site is part of ground zero when the landing gear fell on it.
Like it or not, it is historical and  this site means something to a lot of people.
Like it or not, this was done in the name of Islam. and like it or not it rubs people wrong that a symbol of that very religion is going to be build on top of the ruins.

No one has claimed they "have no right". In fact they absolutely do have a right. The protests have been peaceful against this project.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf refuses to listen to these concerns and entertain offers to build somewhere else.

Iran money is being considered to be accepted in support of funding for this project. Iran celebrated the 9/11 attacks.

Islam itself does not allow the reverse to take place in Islamic countries. The irony.

As I said in the other thread, but largely ignored. A Japanese Shinto temple at Pearl Harbor, would face the same resistance.

This isn't racism ( did I ever mention Islam is not a race?). To spew that same old bullshit in lieu of addressing the issues is nothing more than the usual dismissals.
Woah... Enough with the facts.  Time to put our hoods and get back to hatin!  You coming to the meeting later haus?  Remember sure to pick me up a tin of skoal on yer' way over.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Iran celebrated the 9/11 attacks.
Actually, they mourned them...

http://www.time.com/time/europe/photoessays/vigil/

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei condemned the attacks which have been blamed on Saudi-born Osama bin Laden.

lowing wrote:

Yep, but we can't exactly use Saudi Arabia as our role model for policy.

lowing wrote:

The attack on Pearl Harbor wasn't an act of terrorism -- it was a state-sanctioned act of war.  Blocking a symbol of Japan or Japanese culture from that site would be appropriate because of this difference -- although doing so would still be unconstitutional.

lowing wrote:

It's not racism, but it is a demonstration of how many people don't understand the differences between Islamic extremists and normal Muslims.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

DBBrinson1 wrote:

try to build something in NYC without union support.
Ohnoes, they'll bring out THE RAT!

https://americanglob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/union-rat.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Iran celebrated the 9/11 attacks.
Actually, they mourned them...

http://www.time.com/time/europe/photoessays/vigil/

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei condemned the attacks which have been blamed on Saudi-born Osama bin Laden.

lowing wrote:

Yep, but we can't exactly use Saudi Arabia as our role model for policy.

lowing wrote:

The attack on Pearl Harbor wasn't an act of terrorism -- it was a state-sanctioned act of war.  Blocking a symbol of Japan or Japanese culture from that site would be appropriate because of this difference -- although doing so would still be unconstitutional.

lowing wrote:

It's not racism, but it is a demonstration of how many people don't understand the differences between Islamic extremists and normal Muslims.
until recently, now it is all a "big lie", and now is when the Mosque will be built.

Not the point, the point is if they want to start criticizing people, countries religions and cultures for hypocrisy and intolerance they might want to fucking start with their own.

semantics that play no part in what happened and how we feel about it.

Let me ask you a question. How can you stand by and tell me that this is supposed to bring us all together, that this a center for tolerance and peace, when they will not listen to concerns or solutions of those opposed to it? How can you tell me this is a center for tolerance and peace when they do not even practice it themselves in their home countries under the same fucking religion?

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-25 21:03:10)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Actually, there wouldn't be anything at all unconstitutional about that because of the tie to the Japanese state.

The key difference in this case is the non-state, purely religious aspect of the Muslim center. That gets into the First Amendment area and prevents government involvement.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Let me ask you a question. How can you stand by and tell me that this is supposed to bring us all together, that this a center for tolerance and peace, when they will not listen to concerns or solutions of those opposed to it? How can you tell me this is a center for tolerance and peace when they do not even practice it themselves in their home countries under the same fucking religion?
I think it's pretty obvious that this community center has become a cause for turmoil mostly because of how the "liberal" media ran with the most controversial spin possible on this story.  They've intentionally stoked the fire to get people riled up, so that it's easier to paint the people behind this community center as being insensitive (and so they can sell more ad space as people tune in).

Still, that being said, I see where you're coming from.  I'm no fan of Islamism or the orthodox interpretations of Islam that lead to the degradation of women and the execution of homosexuals or people who leave the faith.

However, you can't say all Muslims are like that.  The majority of Muslims who immigrate here are the liberal ones.  It's far less appealing for an orthodox Muslim to move here because women aren't forced to cover up in a burka or hijab.  There is no union of Islam and government here.  There is no Sharia Law being implemented by the state.  We're far more socially liberal than what an orthodox Muslim would find comfortable.

So, to assume that the Muslims who will attend this community center are representative of the intolerance of places like Iran and Saudi Arabia is just absurd.  They're in NYC, for god's sake.  They basically have to be somewhat tolerant to survive in an environment like that.

The point is...  clearly, people are using very simplistic and ignorant perceptions of Muslims in general to justify their hatred of this community center.  It's gotten to the point now where all Muslims in this particular area are feeling a backlash generated by the media's spin on this story.  We're the ones being intolerant in this case -- not the Muslims.
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Actually, there wouldn't be anything at all unconstitutional about that because of the tie to the Japanese state.

The key difference in this case is the non-state, purely religious aspect of the Muslim center. That gets into the First Amendment area and prevents government involvement.
Doesn't the freedom of speech cover foreign state symbols as well?...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
Lowing does realize that most of the muslims in New York are african-americans and not ultra-orthodox Saudis, right?

it's almost as if he thinks the muslims walking past ground zero every day are going to be pakistani AQ-camp graduates...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Lowing does realize that most of the muslims in New York are african-americans and not ultra-orthodox Saudis, right?

it's almost as if he thinks the muslims walking past ground zero every day are going to be pakistani AQ-camp graduates...
I've seen women walking around in burkhas here. Is it common? Only in a few very small sections of the city, namely western Brooklyn.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6751|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
enjoyed reading Charlie Brookers comment on it in the Guardian..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … ero-mosque
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

IG-Calibre wrote:

shame american papers lack the incisive wit of brooker. otherwise they'd all wake the fuck up.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6139|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

shame american papers lack the incisive wit of brooker. otherwise they'd all wake the fuck up.
I was cracking up reading that article!  Hilarious!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

IG-Calibre wrote:

I 'd
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725
like ive said

https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7397/mosqueinnewyork.jpg
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
I would have given the Osama statue a giant boner and made the Hitler salute more obvious.

But I'm not the one building the not-mosque so I don't have any say
FEOS
+1,182|6419|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Doesn't the freedom of speech cover foreign state symbols as well?...
Constitutional rights are not afforded those from other countries. That is something that many people get confused about. They are afforded those who are US citizens...or are at least legally protected, anyway.

Our fundamental beliefs as a nation are that our Creator endowed man with those fundamental rights (see Declaration of Independence) , regardless of where he lives and it is government's role to protect those rights, so it is a gray area in that regard.

However, the only ones who are protected by our laws (see Constitution) are those who are US citizens or those who request asylum here.

Does that make sense?

IG-Calibre wrote:

Is there any way to karma that guy?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX
Shit, I knew it, just saw this on the internet:
Obama is Gargamel and he's killing all the Smurfs
Wake up people! Light the fires!

FEOS wrote:

Is there any way to karma that guy?
Yes, yes there is: http://www.dreamgirlstrippers.co.uk/

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-28 06:17:27)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Constitutional rights are not afforded those from other countries. That is something that many people get confused about. They are afforded those who are US citizens...or are at least legally protected, anyway.

Our fundamental beliefs as a nation are that our Creator endowed man with those fundamental rights (see Declaration of Independence) , regardless of where he lives and it is government's role to protect those rights, so it is a gray area in that regard.

However, the only ones who are protected by our laws (see Constitution) are those who are US citizens or those who request asylum here.

Does that make sense?
Well yeah...  I don't personally believe in a "Creator", but I understand the context of when the Constitution was written.

I guess what my question is...  If an American of Japanese descent decided to erect a symbol of Japan somewhere in Pearl Harbor and bought the land needed to do so, then wouldn't his freedom of speech and property rights allow him to do so?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Does that make sense?
Well yeah...  I don't personally believe in a "Creator", but I understand the context of when the Constitution was written.

I guess what my question is...  If an American of Japanese descent decided to erect a symbol of Japan somewhere in Pearl Harbor and bought the land needed to do so, then wouldn't his freedom of speech and property rights allow him to do so?
Yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6419|'Murka

What G@lt said.
― Albert Einstein

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6363
try putting a monument to The USA (anything) at Hiroshima or for that matter even an old Concentration camp site in Germany. I clearly see his point and agree to a large extant but it would piss people off unnecessarily. The 1st Amendment does not let you yell Fire in a crowded theater.
jord
+2,382|6687|The North, beyond the wall.

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

try putting a monument to The USA (anything) at Hiroshima or for that matter even an old Concentration camp site in Germany. I clearly see his point and agree to a large extant but it would piss people off unnecessarily. The 1st Amendment does not let you yell Fire in a crowded theater.
Nice analogy...

It's not a victory flag, I have no idea how anyone can assume so without massive bias and a serverely closed mind.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard