SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6804|Perth, Western Australia
Well, ive found a new way to play. Instead of medic or spec ops i go as sniper. So Im going to ask, what is everybodies fave Sniper Rifle. Id have to say at the moment mine is the Chinese one, type 88 or something, cos im not a 1337 Sn1p0r and usually need more than one shot, and the scope is better than the SVD, AND it looks badass

So, what do u guys think

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2005-10-22 01:37:58)

Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6782

M95, then the M24 if you don't count the unlocked ones.

Headshots are all you need, the moment you hit someone with a semiauto they start running...

Anotehr good combo if you can't land headshots, is hit 'em once with the M24/95 and then fire a pistol round.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
See, what i dont understand is people leaning towards the m24/95 saying all u need is one headshot, when all of the rifles can do that, and you dont have to chamber another round into the thingo once uve missed
Coolbeano
+378|6782

with the '88 and Dragunov, you need more than one headshot... the recoil from the shot in zoomed mode is about as slowing as chambering a round, and the M95 can shoot through glass and bring down armor.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
Coolbeano, i dont know where ur getting ur data from, but in my humble few hours as sniper i have taken down quite a few unharmed infantry with a headshot with the draunuv and '88, even those armoured types like Assault

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2005-10-22 01:56:37)

PotholedJoker
+1|6781|Anchorage, AK
I haven't used the 88 yet but the M24 is by far the best rifle.  The crosshair is much easier to aim, the arrows on the MEC rifle are impossible to use.  The semi-auto ability is useless, uncorking 4 or 5 shots to kill one target is not sniping, it should be one and done.  The M95 isn't accurate enough to be useful and how often do u get a chance to shoot through the glass of a chopper.  The M24 is just as powerful as the M95 and the SVD and 88 don't do nearly as much damage, it can take 3 shots to kill someone with those.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
I thought that the definition of sniper was 'one who shoots from long range', not 'one who is 1337', but hey, id like to be good at this
Coolbeano
+378|6782

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Coolbeano, i dont know where ur getting ur data from, but in my humble few hours as sniper i have taken down quite a few unharmed infantry with a headshot with the draunuv and '88, even those armoured types like Assault
i'm getting my data from my 9 or so hours before i got my M95 out. unless there was a terrible terrible bug, i've headshotted at a newly spawned motionless enemy from around 10 yards down, prone, zoomed, with a dragunov, and he didnt die. in fact twice, in the same round. that's more than enough proof for me.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
Actually coolbeano, the same thing happened to me on maashtur. I saw an enemy running to the mosque, and crouched behind the corner. As he came around, BOOM!, +2 to me. Another time on Dalian Plant I was standing at an enemy point, moving to cap, when an enemy spawned, he ran at me and i got him with three shots, and then another one spawned, and busted around the corner on me, and he happened to be perfectly lined up in my sights, so i shot at him, and another 1 shot kill to me basically.

And, to quote this sites fine resources "It is possible to get a one-shot-to-the-head kill with either of these rifles, but it will take three shots to the torso to kill a full health player.". Just go to the Ubar and look under SVD/Type 88

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2005-10-22 02:29:49)

McCullough
+7|6857
It's har to be a god sniper. It takes alot of practise before you master any of the rifles.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6795|UK

SharkyMcshark wrote:

I thought that the definition of sniper was 'one who shoots from long range', not 'one who is 1337', but hey, id like to be good at this
Snip-er

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
   2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Effectivley you could use any gun to snipe, the other year in Iraq when we heard about the troubles our boys were having with snipers they were noobs with AK's shooting from windows not 1337 pr0's with .50 cals with 20x optical zoom and ghillie suits.

"Damn I got sniped by some leet fux0r with a DAO-12 hiding in a bush 2 feet away." Don't hear that too often though.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6801|The Hague, Holland
SharkyMcshark : "Damn I got sniped by some leet fux0r with a DAO-12 hiding in a bush 2 feet away." Don't hear that too often though

HAHAHAH! Oh damn so funny!

Btw I find the dragunov and type 88 pretty much useless, try concealing yourself while firing 5 pullets fast.
I'd stick with the M95 and M24.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6805|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
Sharky, I've never really put this down on paper so to speak...but.

About a month ago I was caught up in the 'points race' etc etc. we all know how that goes:) then- Whammo lad, BURN-out.  I really enjoy the game so I began looking for another way to make the game interesting. I admitted to meself that I couldn't compete w/ Blazin, Nasty Butler, Broggi and the like. I found something I could be competitive at. To be honest, I have a whole new love for the game.

I became a 'pure' sniper. No other kits (unless it's last flag & defense is needed). I say again lads, no other kits.

I Unlocked the 95 and became quite proficient w/ it. The I set my goals to break the top 1000 sniper's in the BFHQ. Not Sniper Kit (kills frm Tank, clymore's, arty, AA all count in the kit stats) but in Kit Equipment/ Sniper Rifle. Pure kills ranked bullet by bullet round by round. I carved my way upto #376 out of what? 600,000 players. Then it happened...

I joined a server only to find 3 of the top 10 snipes in the same server. I turned on battlerecorder and squaded up w/ one of em'. To my amazement he had a m24, I thought it was a mistake and kept my 95. Then i tried going back to the 24. My world changed (in gaming:). Getting skilled w/ the 95 then going back to the 24 made the difference. I'm currently sitting at #107 and will break the top 100 today. All in all I've gone from #12,000 to top 100 in about a month. Having my own goals made the game fun again and is keeping me outta the pubs w/ the bhoys. Now My whiskey and my 24 get along great at home and the wife's happy too.

Sooo. IMHO, become proficient w/ the 95 then switch back to the 24. My opinion only, but the 95 is like the wife, it deviates alot and can be tempermental at any range. The 24 is like a hooker, does exactly what you want it todo shot after shot, round after round. But i feel you have to learn to manage the wife before the hooker can be savage.

Slainte.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6793|NRW,Germany
Me loves me M95! The ability to shoot pilots/drivers out of ther vehicles makes so much fun (seeing a chopper spinning up to the sky after I shot the pilot gives me such a fuzzy feeling, especialy when there is a newbie gunner inside not able to get it under control again ).
Sapper5000
+0|6800
Sinn i got a question for you where do you find your ranking on a certain kit or equipment
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
Now Milk, was there any need to call those Iraqi citizens shooting at an invading force n00bs? Besides, from memory the weapon of the infamous sniper was allegedly an SVD, or so i heard on the news.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6862|Bryan/College Station, TX

[GDC]SinnFein wrote:

Sooo. IMHO, become proficient w/ the 95 then switch back to the 24. My opinion only, but the 95 is like the wife, it deviates alot and can be tempermental at any range. The 24 is like a hooker, does exactly what you want it todo shot after shot, round after round. But i feel you have to learn to manage the wife before the hooker can be savage.
SinnFein this is too damn funny!
Nice analogy. Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Incontrovertible
+1|6791|Brisbane, Australia
The SVD/Type-88 serve a different function to the M24, and M95. The SVD at least is a squad weapon, not a scout weapon (M24) or anti-material weapon (M95). The SVD is designed to be carried with a squad member and effectively increase the squads killing range from I believe 300m's to 600m's. If you use it with your squad and don't go lone wolf then you are doing it right.

I repeat, the SVD isn't a lone-wolf weapon. On a map like Karkand you will be alot of use if moving/covering your squad.  The SVd is much better at this then the M24 or M95. Sure I use them like an SVD sometimes, but encounting a squad of people is much more dangerous as an M24/95 sniper then as a SVD sniper, esp. since as an SVD sniper that guy with the G3 in your squad has already hit him once

Last edited by Incontrovertible (2005-10-22 20:39:19)

WormGuts
+17|6812|Dayton, Ohio
I had a blast with my m95 on gulf of oman at the hotel this week. 

I was USMC and my CO put me on solo defend at the hotel site. I took up a spot on the grassy knoll next to the pool behind the tank spawn.  An MEC gunship came in and actually landed (moron) next to the flag.  I took my time put one round into the pilots head.  I see the gunner swinging his cannon around trying to find me.  I take my time again put my second shot square in gunners head. 

At this point i must question why the gunner didn't move into pilots seat.  Perhaps he was a squad leader and was waiting for his dead companion to respawn in helo...dunno.

At any rate it led to them both getting head shot.  I then ran on over stole the helo and flew it to our carrier for repairs and a friendly pilot.  I was then dropped back off at my defense location.  My CO then asked how he could make my job easier.  He sent an engineer by to drop off some AT mines on the ramp and near the flag base.  These i would later detonate with a grenade from near by making for some frustrated MEC soldiers.

Last edited by WormGuts (2005-10-22 20:50:35)

McCullough
+7|6857
I found out that if you learn how to be good with the M95 and then switch back to the M24 you're going to find out that you are a M24 expert After playing witht he M95 for quite some time i swithced back to M24 and i killed twice as many people as before :
thinner44
+1|6828
I think it's a case of 'each to their own'. I've unlocked the 95 and I like using it. Most people have said that every gunshot to the head from whatever gun is going to be 'one shot one kill'... I just think that the M95 is going to assure me of that (well I am trying ), if I hit someone with a different type of weapon and he runs around like a loon, I'm not likely to be able to finish him off if it's at a great distance, or more to the point, I'm going to waste a full clip on one kill.

Personally, if I've unlocked it, I'm going to use it, although from previous threads and posts..... I'm leaning back to the M24 as I've only had around 10 or so kills through glass..... spectacular though they are, they're very rare
thinner44
+1|6828
WormGuts, sounds like you get into some great teams, I envy you. Shots through glass taking out two enemy, fantastic, I love it when they land at a CP, makes the whole thing much easier
Michael82
+4|6800|Copenhagen, Denmark

[GDC]SinnFein wrote:

Sharky, I've never really put this down on paper so to speak...but.

About a month ago I was caught up in the 'points race' etc etc. we all know how that goes:) then- Whammo lad, BURN-out.  I really enjoy the game so I began looking for another way to make the game interesting. I admitted to meself that I couldn't compete w/ Blazin, Nasty Butler, Broggi and the like. I found something I could be competitive at. To be honest, I have a whole new love for the game.

I became a 'pure' sniper. No other kits (unless it's last flag & defense is needed). I say again lads, no other kits.

I Unlocked the 95 and became quite proficient w/ it. The I set my goals to break the top 1000 sniper's in the BFHQ. Not Sniper Kit (kills frm Tank, clymore's, arty, AA all count in the kit stats) but in Kit Equipment/ Sniper Rifle. Pure kills ranked bullet by bullet round by round. I carved my way upto #376 out of what? 600,000 players. Then it happened...

I joined a server only to find 3 of the top 10 snipes in the same server. I turned on battlerecorder and squaded up w/ one of em'. To my amazement he had a m24, I thought it was a mistake and kept my 95. Then i tried going back to the 24. My world changed (in gaming:). Getting skilled w/ the 95 then going back to the 24 made the difference. I'm currently sitting at #107 and will break the top 100 today. All in all I've gone from #12,000 to top 100 in about a month. Having my own goals made the game fun again and is keeping me outta the pubs w/ the bhoys. Now My whiskey and my 24 get along great at home and the wife's happy too.

Slainte.
Why do u prefere the m24 over the m95?
I myself play Spec Op and Medic. But i love to run around and having fun as a sniper once in a while. Personally i hate the drakunov and the other semi auto rifles. The damage doesn't cut it.

I've become quite good at hitting in the head with the m95, and it's especially good to take out a driver who's sitting in a car, taking a flag or something or even a pilot in a chopper (if he's hovering, or else it's to hard if not impossible to hit).

As far as i know, the m24 can't shoot through the glass of helos and cars.

Just my 2 cent
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6805|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
Right fine points by all.

Sapper5000, in game, main menu->BFHQ-.Leaderboards->scores->kit equipment->sniper rifle (etc).

Michael82- for me personally la, the 24 hands down w/out hesitation. Incontravertible makes some fine and coincedentally 100% true statements of the sub-classes of long rangers, each has a specialty tobesure. The wonderful elation I'v felt a dozen or so times from taking down pilots is truly a savage feeling, high on the barley all night happy.

However they're too far and all be it,  few between. Kinda like this one cute little lady friend I dated a few years back from present. Man when the blue moon was overhead we bryds and bees'd like you only read about. However the utter joy of that crazy passion was shortlived and was soon forgotten by the weeks without a headshot through the cockpit.

I found that the bad times far outweighed the great times, therefore I had to track down a "red" lady and switch kits. Never looked back and ran quite a few rounds with the new kit ( a rale tall lass at that, coupla metres in height) She was tall enough to put some damage on me health bar, but not tall enough to use my parachute.

Bhoys, don't be mis-understandin me, the 95 tis a fine weapon platform and got meself 2000+ kills w/ it, I personally however increased my tango takedown's by two-fold per round since the switch back to the 24. Lately I'm averaging 25+ kills per sharqi/mash/dragon/wake and ~15-20 IAR per Karkland. I donot have cement shoes, 2-3 kills and I'm movin. but thas just me.

Slainte,
Sinny

ps. The tall lass? u ask: Well lets just say she was on me favorite servers list until I found out her dear, great building of a man, father, was the Commander. Let's just say he was dropping all ARTY directly on my 1 man squad and no Supplies.....My uav musta been down b/c I had no idea he was in the other room when the map started:)

and started...and started again..and again. I had her speaking Swahili for awhile.

Last edited by [GDC]SinnFein (2005-10-23 13:01:18)

kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6862|Bryan/College Station, TX
Uhoh. Looks like [GDC]SinnFein has some humor.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard