Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

I decided to make a list of all the virus software I can find, a description of it, and it's price. That way, people don't have to go around asking for advice on which software is the best. They can come here and make the decision for themselves.

The list begins:

McAffee Internet Security/VirusScan
  • Offers 8 in 1 protection for your identity, PC, and online experience.
  • Provides online security from Identity Thieves, Spammers, and Predators.
  • Protects your PC from viruses, hackers and spyware.
  • Backs Up and Restores your photos, music and important files.
  • Protects your online experience so you can surf the Web, shop, bank, e-mail and instant message safely and securely.
  • Keeps your PC healthy and secure.
  • Backs Up photos, music, videos, and other important files automatically.
  • Intercepts prohibited Web sites, unwanted activity and offensive pictures to keep your family safe.
  • Simplifies security with the new and improved McAfee® SecurityCenter.
  • Warns you about sites which send spam, install adware, or attempt online scams.
  • Shields your PC around the clock: always on, always protecting, always updating.
  • Offers 3 in 1 PC Protection from viruses, hackers and spyware so you can surf the Web safely.
  • Prevents multi-pronged attacks by integrating anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware technologies.
  • Simplifies security with the new and improved McAfee SecurityCenter.
  • Shields your PC around the clock: always on, always updating, always protecting.
  • Warns you about sites which send spam, install adware, or attempt online scams.

Price: $79.99CAN for the Internet Security, $49.99CAN for VirusScan
Rating: 4/5
Source

avast! Anti-Virus Software
avast! 4 Home Edition is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. Both of these conditions should be met! Our company offers the Home Edition free of charge, since, in our
opinion, it is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention; however, many users are not able to or do not want to pay for antivirus software. This page will show you the most important features of this program.
Institutions (even non-commercial ones) are not allowed to use avast! Home Edition. However, ALWIL Software provides the full line of avast! antivirus products at special discount prices for non-profit, charity, educational and government institutions. Please see our price lists for details.
Price: Free!
CNET Rating: 5/5
Source

AVG Internet Security/Virus Protection
All-in-one, easy to use protection – install and forget
New program versions and updates, for free, throughout the license duration
Quality proven by all major antivirus certifications (VB100%, ICSA, West Coast Labs Checkmark)
24/7 technical support provided at no extra cost
Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning
Unique automatic threat-removal anti-spyware engine
Automatic firewall profile switching for improved security and usability
  Easy to use protection – install and forget
New program versions and updates, for free, throughout the license duration
Quality proven by all major antivirus certifications (VB100%, ICSA, West Coast Labs Checkmark)
24/7 technical support provided at no extra cost
Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning
Automatic firewall profile switching for improved security and usability
Price: $69.95USD for Internet Security, $49.95USD for Virus Protection (free versions available)
Rating: 5/5
Source

Norton All-In-One Kit
Antivirus
Antispyware
Email scanning
Antiphishing
Online identity protection
Web site authentication
Firewall protection
Automatic backup and restore
Automatic updates
PC performance tuneups
2GB secured online storage
Embedded support
Rootkit detection
Optional antispam and parental controls
Price: $79.99USD
Rating: 3/5
Source
*From experience with Norton, I found out it slows your computer down, and uses about 50% of your CPU when idling alone.

Panda Software
The new Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007 is much more than an antivirus. This solution will turn your PC into a fortress against hacker attacks and keep you safe from all types of viruses, spyware and online fraud. And now, for each Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007 product purchase, you will obtain protection for up to 3 PC’s!This solution is also available as multiple licenses with telephone tech support included.
Price: $62.95CAN (free versions also available)
Rating: 3/5
Source

Kapersky
Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 is a fully integrated security solution that combines reactive detection methods with the latest proactive technologies, protecting your PC from viruses, hacker attacks, spam and spyware. Seamless integration of all product components (including a personal firewall) eliminates system conflicts and provides fast performance.
Price: $69.95
Rating 5/5
Source

BitDefender Plus v10
The purpose of the Antivirus module is to ensure detection and removal of all viruses in the wild. BitDefender Antivirus uses robust scan engines certified by ICSA Labs, Virus Bulletin, Checkmark, CheckVir and TÜV.
Price: $59.95
Rating: 3.5/5
Source

PC-Cillin
Building on its solid antivirus capabilities, PC-cillin Internet Security Suite automatically checks for new virus updates every 3 hours and the spam prevention includes a whitelist, blacklist, and Bayesian filter - all at a price substantially lower than many other antivirus suites. If spyware is a problem, consider supplementing the spyware scanner in PC-cillin with either Windows Defender or CounterSpy.
TrendSecure ™ additional security software and online services
Antivirus Security
Spyware Protection
Personal Firewall
Fraud Defense
Wireless Network Monitoring
Home Network Control
Price: $49.95
Rating 4/5
Source

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007
An average of eight to ten new viruses are found each day and the rate seems to grow. A typical modern virus spreads across the globe in less than 24 hours causing damages to computer users. Home users are not an exception to this. If you are connected to the Internet, it is very important to protect your PC against computer viruses.
With F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007, you can open e-mail attachments and use your PC without fear of virus infections or spyware intrusion. F-Secure has been designed to automate all key tasks required to keep your computer and data safe from viruses - it's so easy, all you have to do is install and forget about it.
  Protects your computer against viruses, worms and rootkits
NEW: Includes real-time protection against spyware
E-mail scanning
Easy to install and use
The fastest protection against new virus outbreaks
Includes an intuitive product tutorial
Virus news
Price: €65,90 (is this Euros?)
Rating: 4/5
Source

NOD32 Standard Edition
NOD32 Standard Edition offers well balanced protection against threats attacking your personal computer. Viruses, worms, trojans and other harmful programs will be kept at a safe distance from your valuable data. Advanced methods of detection will even provide protection against attacks from the latest, as yet un-named, worms and viruses.
Protects against viruses, worms and trojans. NOD32 Antivirus System automatically destroys any dangerous software that tries to threaten your computer. Here at Eset we know well that threats are evolving and changing constantly - and our products respond accordingly.
ThreatSense Technology. The world's most advanced heuristic analysis can stop most of the latest, even unknown, viruses and worms. While the average user is waiting defenceless for a response from their antivirus company, this unique technology will protect you and so the risk of becoming a victim of the latest epidemic is reduced to a minimum.
Price: $39.99 1 yr subscription
Rating: 5/5
Source

Please post your requests of good virus software so I can add it to the list. Thanks!

Last edited by Ryan (2007-12-30 13:14:24)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.

blademaster wrote:

I concur.
aLeX
.?
+160|6301|:D

blademaster wrote:

My thoughts exactly, oh and karma is in order
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
But...
Sticky: A guide for removing Spyware/Adware and Viruses. by IBKCKNURASS
    6     1710     2007-01-20 11:06:07 by =DBD=TITAN126
Sticky: Drop that Spyware/Adware by mr.widdim  [ 1 2 3 ]
    72     6584     2006-12-29 09:44:27 by travisb05
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6426|the guy in the hind on gator
i concur with ATG
Ryan

ATG, the first one is just a guide, not a list of software, and the second is only about Spyware/Adware, not viruses.

There's a difference.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6531|Southampton, UK

Ryan wrote:

ATG, the first one is just a guide, not a list of software, and the second is only about Spyware/Adware, not viruses.

There's a difference.
Virus's are ghey.
I don't care if this gets sticked, but well done on doing it anyway.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.

ATG wrote:

But...
Sticky: A guide for removing Spyware/Adware and Viruses. by IBKCKNURASS
    6     1710     2007-01-20 11:06:07 by =DBD=TITAN126
Sticky: Drop that Spyware/Adware by mr.widdim  [ 1 2 3 ]
    72     6584     2006-12-29 09:44:27 by travisb05
I know about those threads, but like Ryan has said below:

Ryan wrote:

the first one is just a guide, not a list of software, and the second is only about Spyware/Adware, not viruses.

There's a difference.
I see the difference.
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6426|the guy in the hind on gator
i concur with bigmack
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
I'm not complaining. I just didn't understand.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
I was responding to your mis-understanding (which is in itself, understandable). lol.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Why's Kaspersky not got 1145/1145? Out of some comparison test I saw once, Kaspersky did the best out of all of them.
dead_rac00n
+12|6452|DTC

BigmacK wrote:

blademaster wrote:

I concur.
Same here. It's not the same kind of threads that are already available on the subject here.
Ryan

ghettoperson wrote:

Why's Kaspersky not got 1145/1145? Out of some comparison test I saw once, Kaspersky did the best out of all of them.
There, changed it to 5/5.

If you guys want any other software to be added, please list them.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

Ryan wrote:

Please post your requests of good virus software so I can add it to the list. Thanks!
NOD32
Ryan

F-Secure and NOD32 are now added.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

Avira Anti-Vir Personal Edition
www.free-av.com

You might want to mention the very small memory footprint it has (5-6MB idling).
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6617
i installed kaspersky 6.whatsoever today and it seems to be nice BUT (and thats a huuuuge one) my bf started to crash to the desktop during the game or while clicking join server. after uninstalling kaspersky anti-vir the problem seems to be gone again.
BL4CKL10N
+66|6252
McAffee Internet Security/VirusScan:   6/10     good antivirus, but personally I don't really like it
avast! Anti-Virus Software:   4/10    not recommended, free edition is acceptable
AVG Internet Security/Virus Protection:   5/10   not recommended
Norton All-In-One Kit:   7/10:   very good firewall, the rest is normal
Panda Software:   6/10   good antivirus, but there are still bugs
Kapersky:   9/10   superior antivirus with many features and option, resource hogging while scanning
BitDefender Plus v10:   7/10   acceptable heuristics
PC-Cillin:   6/10   Easy Interface, bad quality overall
F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007:   9/10  Different engine, resource hogger
NOD32 Standard Edition:   8/10  Good Heuristic, bad generic

+

GDATA AntiVirusKit:   10/10  Why? Cause AVK uses 2 different and superior scan engines. It finds 99% of all known malware.
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5966|Belgium
Any updates on this thread ? or does the rating of most stand ?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Get MSE + stop opening two_girls_one_dildo.exe

Sorted.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5966|Belgium

Finray wrote:

Get MSE + stop opening two_girls_one_dildo.exe

Sorted.
MSE ?
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
Yeah, use Microsoft Security Essentials. You also have Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool built in.

Further to those I use Spybot - Search & Destroy* and Malwarebytes.

* Though I wouldn't bother with their Resident TeaTimer, Secure Shredder, and link protection applications/add-ons. Same goes for any extras that Malwarebytes might come with. Just install the basic programs and don't bother with any "live" protection software.

Then I'd recommend Adblock Plus for Firefox (or an alternative for your browser of choice). This will stop lots of annoying adverts and potentially stop you from visiting any shady sites just wanting your clicks.

If you're ultra paranoid then you can install NoScript (blocks scripts from running without your permission, when browsing the internet) and PeerBlock (general IP blocking).

And finally you should keep on top of your temporary files (cookies!) with something like CCleaner.

Extra note: Have UAC at least turned on, even if it's on minimum settings, that should help stop any software from making any changes to your computer without any permission from you.

That's all you're going to need ... ever. Well, at least for now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard