ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
It's all fun and games until a truck careens into the crowd.

RIP.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/15/califo … hs/?hpt=T1
mikkel
+383|6571
You'd think that with the lessons learned from the Dakar Rally, these idiots would be more cautious.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6444|Foothills of S. Carolina

You would think that people would not stand right on the sides of the race course. I also read the spectators started throwing rocks and stuff at the driver. Gotta feel bad for him, whoever he was, the weight of the dead and injured on his mind.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
I guess those killed were where they were supposed to be; about 100' off the track.

A buddy of mine plots those courses. It could have been him.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Motor racing is dangerous, especially rally racing. People still die rather commonly by modern standards. Unfortunate, but everyone takes a small risk...I don't condone attacking the driver though, they know the risks they're taking when they spectate like that. No matter how much of a mistake the driver made.

There was a good documentary recently on the BBC about the 1955 Le Mans disaster, you can only learn from this shit but it'll always happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio

Mekstizzle wrote:

Motor racing is dangerous
thanks mek
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Like the guy doesn't feel bad enough. Rock throwers piss me off, anonymous cretins attacking with numbers and secrecy. Vile.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Motor racing is dangerous
thanks mek
It's one of those lines, infact I heard they put it on the ticket of some events. Dunno whether it's F1 or NASCAR or something else
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6444|Foothills of S. Carolina

ATG wrote:

I guess those killed were where they were supposed to be; about 100' off the track.

A buddy of mine plots those courses. It could have been him.
Yep, based on the video, all the spectators were at least 100' off the track.

AP News wrote:

The BLM issued a statement saying safety was the responsibility of the race organizer, South El Monte-based Mojave Desert Racing. MDR's permit required racers to travel 15 mph or less when they were within 50 feet of fans, and allowed no more than 300 spectators for the event, the agency said.

Phone and e-mail messages left for MDR were not immediately returned.

Tens of thousands of people were spread out along the 50-mile track, but the site of the crash, a stretch known as the "rockpile," is one of the most popular areas to gather, witnesses said. Some witnesses said they got within 4 feet of the unmarked track, watching trucks fly over a series of jumps. Several jagged rocks jut from the sand track at the bottom of the hill.

Last edited by Canin (2010-08-15 17:22:07)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

Canin wrote:

I also read the spectators started throwing rocks and stuff at the driver.
shoulda run over them
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

mint 500 is similarly dangerous
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
Mess with the Bull, you get the horns.

It amazes me how people want to be close to the action, yet they are not prepared to deal with the consequences.
These 'tards are the same ones who go to Sea World, sit in the front row of the Shamu / dolphin show and expect not to get wet.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
BUMP
video
The video shows you how extremely close these dummies stand.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

loubot wrote:

BUMP
video
The video shows you how extremely close these dummies stand.
And this video shows where they should be standing.

Skip to 1:50

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard