Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|Nårvei

DonFck wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Surgeons wrote:

Has the mosque been built yet?

Regardless I doubt the investors made a big publicy statement saying they're building the mosque to show those pesky Americans!!
Quite ... like that matters at all ... feelings are feelings, either you are a Muslim-hating American or a gay-hating Muslim ...
What about the inbred rednecks around the world who hate both evil mooslims and gayfags?
They will build a community house inbetween the Mosque and the gay disco ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

I find it amusing that Fox News has jumped in bed with the gays because they now have a worse 'enemy' to deal with.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

13/f/taiwan wrote:

how can a gay bar be islamic friendly? do you realize how oxymoronic that sounds? it's like opening up an christian friendly abortion clinic.
Actually, that's assuming all Muslim men are straight.  A Muslim friendly gay bar just means that it will appeal more specifically to liberal Muslims who are gay.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

I find it amusing that Fox News has jumped in bed with the gays because they now have a worse 'enemy' to deal with.
Well, there aren't any gay terrorists hijacking planes....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Arabs prefer sheep. Will there be sheep at this bar? Make sure there is no toilet paper in the stalls as well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone
There's a lesbian Muslim where I work.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5474|Ventura, California

DonFck wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

this one just has the awesomeness of pissing off the nearby Muslims.
What's awesome about pissing off nearby Muslims?
It's not awesome to piss of Muslims in general. I just think it's hilarious that there's a gay bar next to a mosque. It's the particular case in question I find amusing.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Turquoise wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

how can a gay bar be islamic friendly? do you realize how oxymoronic that sounds? it's like opening up an christian friendly abortion clinic.
Actually, that's assuming all Muslim men are straight.  A Muslim friendly gay bar just means that it will appeal more specifically to liberal Muslims who are gay.
...and if it's near to this Muslim building, surely any gay men who go there would love the convenicence of this bar.
Turquoise
O Canada

DesertFox- wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

...and if it's near to this Muslim building, surely any gay men who go there would love the convenicence of this bar.
Indeed... 
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
hahaha hilarious
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
The implication of this stunt is that Muslims are all inherently homophobic.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
What, normal gay bars aren't good enough for them?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Do you think he'll offer great deals on booze that many gay bars seem to? One near me does all you can drink on beer, wine and well liquor for 15 pounds. Fucking bargain.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5931|Somewhere out in Space

ghettoperson wrote:

Do you think he'll offer great deals on booze that many gay bars seem to? One near me does all you can drink on beer, wine and well liquor for 15 pounds. Fucking bargain.
And the secret of how they do it is finally out.
Turquoise
O Canada

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

...an implication that isn't far from the mark when you look at how Iran, Saudi Arabia, and several other Islamic nations deal with them.

In fact, you could say the same about many Christians.  Most religions in general don't seem to be very kind to homosexuals -- especially the 3 "desert dogmas."
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
The right wing in the US is fucking awsm... Real quality entertainment
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Wreckognize
+294|6485
It's obviously meant to provoke a reaction but he's well within his rights so I wish him the best of luck.  That's the beauty of freedom, the door swings both ways.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
I dunno if he's actually being serious. Gay communities in general are probably left wing and hate anything associated with right wing stuff, especially Fox News...secondly what kind of gay Muslim would go to the gay bar that's right next to a mosque. His business plan is flawed, the bar won't last a week. Unless it becomes populated by right wing rednecks.....but then they're all going to an Islamic gay bar next to a mosque next to ground zero.

My head hurts.
pilebomb
+8|6120

Turquoise wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

But they are all straight!
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6468

Turquoise wrote:

...an implication that isn't far from the mark when you look at how Iran, Saudi Arabia, and several other Islamic nations deal with them.

In fact, you could say the same about many Christians.  Most religions in general don't seem to be very kind to homosexuals -- especially the 3 "desert dogmas."
That's Saudi Arabia.

This is New York.
Turquoise
O Canada

Turquoise wrote:

That's Saudi Arabia.

This is New York.
So?  There are plenty of anti-gay people in America -- some of whom are in New York.  Muslims are no exception to the rule.

Orthodox Muslims are likely to be anti-gay no matter where they live -- just the same as fundamentalist Christians are oftentimes.

In general, the Islamic attitude toward gays is even less tolerant than that of Christians.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Mekstizzle wrote:

I dunno if he's actually being serious. Gay communities in general are probably left wing and hate anything associated with right wing stuff, especially Fox News...secondly what kind of gay Muslim would go to the gay bar that's right next to a mosque. His business plan is flawed, the bar won't last a week. Unless it becomes populated by right wing rednecks.....but then they're all going to an Islamic gay bar next to a mosque next to ground zero.

My head hurts.
It is true. Whoever his backers are either very stupid, or so wealthy that they don't care about wasting money on making some sort of statement. Although I'm not entirely sure what that statement is.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

This will win a lot of Muslim hearts and minds.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6468

Turquoise wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's Saudi Arabia.

This is New York.
So?  There are plenty of anti-gay people in America -- some of whom are in New York.  Muslims are no exception to the rule.

Orthodox Muslims are likely to be anti-gay no matter where they live -- just the same as fundamentalist Christians are oftentimes.

In general, the Islamic attitude toward gays is even less tolerant than that of Christians.
So we ought to hold one of the most progressive cities in the world to the same standards as a country still ruled by Monarchs?

While there are some homophobes in New York, it is still one of the most progressive cities in the world, and most people there are beyond that kind of shit. This stunt, which is all it is, is something that the community responsible for the not-Mosque will likely ignore, or turn on their opponents as evidence that the opponents are racist and believe that because Muslims in Saudi Arabia aren't fans of the queers, it must mean that the ones in New York hate them as well.
Turquoise
O Canada

So we ought to hold one of the most progressive cities in the world to the same standards as a country still ruled by Monarchs?

While there are some homophobes in New York, it is still one of the most progressive cities in the world, and most people there are beyond that kind of shit. This stunt, which is all it is, is something that the community responsible for the not-Mosque will likely ignore, or turn on their opponents as evidence that the opponents are racist and believe that because Muslims in Saudi Arabia aren't fans of the queers, it must mean that the ones in New York hate them as well.
Whether they choose to ignore it or not will be a test to see if they really are tolerant.  If they make a big deal out of it, then it will likely be evidence to show exactly what Gutfeld is looking for.

So, no, I'm not suggesting we hold NYC to the same standards as Iran -- I'm suggesting we hold them to a much higher standard -- which involves seeing how a Muslim Community Center reacts to a neighboring gay bar.

Again, if your assumptions are true and they are tolerant, then this stunt will simply be forgotten.  If Gutfeld's assumptions are true, then it will be quite a spectacle.

I don't think this stunt is uncalled for, because the people behind the Muslim Community Center had to know that putting this place on Ground Zero would result in a lot of controversy.  Gutfeld is merely aiming at the same controversy himself -- it's quite a clever move actually.

Call it racism or whatever you like, but it's not like Gutfeld's assumptions are without evidence.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard