pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
Driving down the road all the sudden my car came to a screeching halt. I jumped out because I thought I had a blown tire but all were fine. I tried to drive away but my car had some serious resistance on the drivers side rear wheel. Long story short, apparently that tire locks up for some reason at random times. I can fix it by throwing it into reverse for a couple feet then driving again just fine. It goes fine for anywhere between 5 and 20 miles then does this again.
I checked all the fluids and all are fine. I've done a little research and I'm guessing it's the differential? I have very little mechanic experience so I'm very lost.
Thanks!

Subaru 1987 GL
Manual Transmission

figured it wouldn't hurt to post here if anybody had any ideas before I go spend endless dollars for help.

ee or d&st?
SamTheMan
­
+341|5111|Stoke, England
hhhmm, have you tried driving on the right (left) side of the road?
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
I seriously advise that you don't drive it till you get it fixed...
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
Don't drive it till it's fixed, check the brake pads, brake callipers, brake hoses, brake fluid, brake bias, and brake fluid reservoir
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Ignore Camm and coke. They're pussies. Drive it like you stole it.
Engineer_Fox
Has a horse outside
+48|5153|Hague City Firm - Holland
I presume its 4x4?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
haha don't worry I'm not driving it around much (at all really) it only happened once before and in a parking lot and i figured it was a fluke (something wrapped itself around the axle) and this time was on a busy road so i'm done risking it.

I've been looking around and I've heard brake calipers before so I'm gonna take a look at that.

It's a subaru so it's front wheel drive but it's got 4wd
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

pirana6 wrote:

haha don't worry I'm not driving it around much (at all really) it only happened once before and in a parking lot and i figured it was a fluke (something wrapped itself around the axle) and this time was on a busy road so i'm done risking it.

I've been looking around and I've heard brake calipers before so I'm gonna take a look at that.

I'd honestly just take to a mechanic and let 'em take a look at it, at least so they can tell you what's wrong with it.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

coke wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

I'd honestly just take to a mechanic and let 'em take a look at it, at least so they can tell you what's wrong with it.
True but sometimes they'll charge you for just the estimate and sometimes theyll look at my dumb college student ass and say it's a 3 thousand dollar fix instead of 2 hundred dollar fix to fleece me out of money i don't have. I want to for sure but I was gonna ask around for a bit first
Christbane
+51|6204
does it have drum brakes in the rear or disc?  if it's drums I would bet thats the problem.   they like to stick when they get close to needing replacement. if it was the differential it would most likely seize and then stay that way
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Rear locking hub or e-brake most likely.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

either your wheel bearings fucked, your differencial is fucked or your break hub is fucked on that side. Any of is no biggy to fix. Sounded like your gearbox until you mentioned the one sided wheel thing.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
aight sounds good i'm gonna take it to a place in town here and ill let you know. I guess it's a pretty reputable place so they won't scam the bajesus out of me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Also helps to know if there's any kind of repeatable conditions this happens in if we can't personally take a look at it.
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
sounds like a brake problem.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6444|Foothills of S. Carolina

Sounds like your rear brakes need to be adjusted. Used to be with drum brakes backing up would do a kind of self adjustment. Not sure what style rear brakes you have, but it is a good thing that you took it to a repair shop.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
sounds like a mashed diff
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
so differential or brakes? one guy said tranny and if that's what it was i was just gonna put a brick on the accel near a cliff. brake calipers is like a 150 dollar fix so i'm gonna put what measly amount of luck i have left on that.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6083|SC | USA |
Hand Brake. Adjust the cable.

Especially if you can pop it by rocking in reverse.
Reciprocity

pirana6 wrote:

so differential or brakes? one guy said tranny and if that's what it was i was just gonna put a brick on the accel near a cliff. brake calipers is like a 150 dollar fix so i'm gonna put what measly amount of luck i have left on that.
so its got disc brakes in back?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Most likely rear brakes, sticking drum, faulty piston or wildly worn pads.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Reciprocity wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

From what I can tell Subaru have had disks all round on all their cars since about 1975.
Reciprocity

DrunkFace wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

From what I can tell Subaru have had disks all round on all their cars since about 1975.
nope, at least not in the US.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
If you got disc brakes on the wheels that lock they could very well be the problem...

On some cars (like my GolfII) if you wear the brakepads down too much eventually the harder metal on the pads will grip the disc and the wheel will lock up completely... this sent my cousin into a ditch in his old MKII GTi...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6199|NSW, Australia

There is both a disc and a drum on the rear of my 2002 subaru. you will definitely have drums on the rear, you have either fucked a wheel cylinder or something to do with the handbrake.
https://www.2carpros.com/backup/discovery/images/rear_brakes_4.jpg

If thats fucked, it will be leaking and causing the brake to lock on

There should be a little gear in there that you can wind back to take the brake off but it will only last a little while. get both sides replaced if this is the problem.
If its a handbrake issue id just get someone to look at it

Last edited by Nappy (2010-08-11 00:27:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard