_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Just wondering because I want to help my friend play this game but there is no AGP slot on his mobo so I want to see if this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 814129043R can work in one of his PCI slots.  DO NOT ANSWER THE MOTHERFUCKING QUESTION IF YOU CAN'T STOP BEING ASSHOLE FOR ONE SECOND!!!!!  DO NOT GIVE ME NEGATIVE KARMA FOR ASKING A QUESTION!!!!!!!!

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-05-04 04:19:39)

Havazn
+39|6702|van.ca
is this a serious question?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Dude, I don't study PCI.
TechGuy
Grammar Nazi
+62|6681
Absolutely not! Sorry. Don't try it unless you like small fires...
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6793|Anaheim, CA

No
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Are there any good PCI cards then?
herrr_smity
+156|6636|space command ur anus
a pci-e has a bigger connector then a regular pci. and pci-e has a bigger data buss then the pci

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-05-03 18:33:09)

TechGuy
Grammar Nazi
+62|6681

_j5689_ wrote:

No.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6770
if you gona buy a pci-e vid card then buy a pci-e mobo ..get a cpu+mobo combo

if hes got a mobo with no pci-e and especially no agp slot then hes got a piece of shit and needs more than just a vid card
Havazn
+39|6702|van.ca

_j5689_ wrote:

Dude, I don't study PCI.
I dont mean to be harsh, but if you dont know the difference between the two, you shouldn't be helping your friend.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Does anyone have like a pic or something of a PCI-E slot?
RedHot
+9|6737

_j5689_ wrote:

Just wondering because I want to help my friend play this game but there is no AGP slot on his mobo so I want to see if this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 814129043R can work in one of his PCI slots.
The major video cards fit into one of two slots PCI-E, or AGP. Most mobo's will have either a single AGP slot, a single PCI-E slot, or the mobo will be setup to use two PCI-E slots in SLI mode (dual gfx cards). Now the gfx cards themselves are either PCI-E like the one you posted a link to, or AGP and the gfx card has to fit into the matching motherboard slot. PCI expansion slots (not to be confused with PCI-E) can be found in high numbers and they are connectors for things  like sound cards, wireless router cards, etc...  If you can find the type (a link would be nice) of mobo your friend has I can tell you exactly what cards will work for you, if not you simply need to find out if his mobo has PCI-E slot, or AGP and pick your card accordingly.
herrr_smity
http://www.viaarena.com/images/articles/pcie%20002.jpg
http://images.crucial.com/images/pcie_l … llouts.jpg
pci-e 16x and pci-e 1x

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-05-03 18:35:55)

Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
nope there different, ive never seen a good pci card but ive own one before, a long time ago
herrr_smity
if you were to get a pci card, then the pci port becomes a bottleneck, and thereby "stealing" performance.

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-05-03 18:48:27)

-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6633|Quebec city, Canada
the best pci card is the radeon 9250. You can play bf2 with that but everything on low. but as Chitlin said, if your friend hasn't an agp slot on his mobo, its because his computer is pretty old or cheap and the cpu, ram, etc must suck.
Ballistix5
+36|6783|Forster NSW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6883102663

I dunno how he's going for money
but sell whatever he has have now and buy that

If he has an AGP slot then an AGP card will just have to do

There is a Card called The 7800GS and its the best AGP card on the market
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

-=raska=- wrote:

the best pci card is the radeon 9250. You can play bf2 with that but everything on low. but as Chitlin said, if your friend hasn't an agp slot on his mobo, its because his computer is pretty old or cheap and the cpu, ram, etc must suck.
2.9 GHZ, 1 512MB stick of RAM out of two RAM slots, and only PCI busses.

The possibilities I have found so far are these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814102434
and this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814103167

He has no reason to get the ugly miscolored, mis-shapen, and overpriced low-profile card so i'll recommend the full size one to him.

BTW my stats are 1.6GHz Intel Pentium IV, 512MB of RAM, and an ATi Radeon 9600 256MB AGP overclocked.
RedHot
+9|6737
Wow PCI gfx is pretty old school, good luck running BF2 without any lag.
Make sure he sets his video setting to low and just pumps the view distance to 100%, its about all he'll be able to handle.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Which one of you is the asshole that gave me -1 for not knowing something?  I was asking a question, if you can't stop being retarded and simply answer the god damn question then you can go fuck yourself.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-05-03 19:11:27)

Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
dude thats gonna get you some -'s there, anyways tell your friend to at least try to geta  agp MB.

edit:also if he does get a agp mb, dont get the agp ati cards, there old tech compared to nvidia (not biased, you know hdr runs better with sm3

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-05-03 19:13:48)

herrr_smity
lol stupid reason for -1 ill give you +1 so you will feel better

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-05-03 19:15:24)

OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6657|Washington DC

_j5689_ wrote:

In the nVidia line, the top of the line PCI cards out there are produced by BFG ... either the FX5500OC with 256MB or the GeForce 6200OC with 256MB.

To play BF2, these cards will still only work OK on mostly low settings, and you will experience some lag in encounters plus major jerks in some indoor situations where there are lots of complex geometries.  But, you can play and have a lot of fun.

But, thinking toward the future, money might be better spent upgrading your MB and getting PCI-E.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

Maj.Do wrote:

dude thats gonna get you some -'s there, anyways tell your friend to at least try to geta  agp MB.

edit:also if he does get a agp mb, dont get the agp ati cards, there old tech compared to nvidia (not biased, you know hdr runs better with sm3
Nvidias are a bit pricy for a 14-year old and I have better experience with ATi so i'd recommend that to him.
My chosen brands for computer parts are Intel for processors, and ATi for Graphics cards.  I don't buy AMDs because they're unclear about their processor speed.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

OrangeHound wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

In the nVidia line, the top of the line PCI cards out there are produced by BFG ... either the FX5500OC with 256MB or the GeForce 6200OC with 256MB.

To play BF2, these cards will still only work OK on mostly low settings, and you will experience some lag in encounters plus major jerks in some indoor situations where there are lots of complex geometries.  But, you can play and have a lot of fun.

But, thinking toward the future, money might be better spent upgrading your MB and getting PCI-E.
Well, he needs a card to work with until he saves up enough to buy a new rig.  If he feels the need to buy more RAM I guess he can do that along the way.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard