ghettoperson
+1,943|6810

Yup. In fact it looks like all the words liq used.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6358|Winland

Uzique wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Ehrm are you seriously saying windows based tablet doesn't have as much free apps as ipad?
I think he's referring to toys that run Android and stuff.
Lots of words in an almost unreadable chunk
This is why I dislike Apple.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
because the market they target isnt you, i.e. isn't tech-obsessed benchmarking geeks with fetishes for battery-hardware?

bawwwww.

gadgets aren't only for the extremely-engaged geeks, you know. the every-day casual functionalities and applications of emerging technology has an every-day, pedestrian use for an 'average' consumer, too. and these consumers are the big-bloc that sway, influence and trigger big changes in technology: supply and demand... mass-revenue and the generators of the all-important profit margins. if it wasn't for average joes with their all-so-average expectations and their pitifully-average technical-knowledge... we wouldn't have today's technology, in pure economic terms. there would be no incentive.

also, if you find my clear english prose unreadable... consider taking out a textbook instead of making pointlessly snide comments.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

Uzique wrote:

i cannot say in all honesty that the 'technology' and hardware in a tablet or a phone is really of any real concern to any real person.
Buy anything as long as it is branded by Apple, doesn't matter what it has inside it. Real smart. If you really think no one cares about specs we all would be using Pentium 4s and being happy about it.

I am sorry but you more and more prove to be case in point about the generalization of Apple salesman than you even realise yourself.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
sorry, average consumers do not care about interior specs of nifty little gadgets.

here's an apt apple marketing phrase that captures their interests: 'it just works'.

more than enough for the vast majority.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Uzique wrote:

sorry, average consumers do not care about interior specs of nifty little gadgets.

here's an apt apple marketing phrase that captures their interests: 'it just works'.

But for the premium Apple charge, one should expect them to take care of the stuff they don't make the consumers take care of.

And regarding your writing, 14 rows of text in a chunk isn't the best method of getting people to read your post.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

Uzique wrote:

If no one cares about anything as long as it works, why do everyone buy new gadgets all the time, not use that 5 years old?

Thats right, they do care about specs. Or are brainless Apple zombies. Have your pick.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2010-07-25 16:47:24)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
you are really quite foolish if you think people buy the latest gadgets because of technological-advances, speed-increases etc.

ever heard the phrase "keeping up with the joneses"? we live in a consumerist, materialist era... people want new things not because they're faster and superior in technology in so much as they want new things simply because of their status being NEW. i can guarantee that 90% of consumers to buy a smartphone bought one because it is the new benchmark in mobile-phone technology, not because they wanted to check the stock-markets or keep a track on how far they jogged using GPS apps. they wanted the new thing because it was simply new, and thus made their current-gadget 'old', and thus undesirable and materialistically embarrassing. THAT is the economic driving-factor behind MASS-CONSUMER technology markets... not some driving-urge to 'progress' technology to a new impressive zenith. people want new shit because they're fickle creatures and it makes them feel better about themselves, their status and their life-style.

by the way im not specifically mentioning apple-gadgets here at all when i describe consumer behaviours. people don't care about the pixel-quality of their blackberry screens; average computer users don't care about the frequency of the processor core in their dell office computer, etc.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6852|Devon, England
You're basically saying what I believe.

Apple products are for people who don't care about specifications and 'pound-per-part' (or something like that).

In my opinion, those people are idiots.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
people that don't understand the consumer-interest and business concept of 'intangible benefits'... are idiots.

it's not so much they don't care about specifications as they're willing to shell out money for 'other' qualities, e.g. aesthetics, build-quality, user-experience etc. apple are not the only brand in the world to price things not according to 'pound-per-part' strategies. are people that drive sports cars idiots? people that buy rolex watches? people that purchase nike trainers instead of non-branded ones?

'intangible benefits'.
FFLink
There is.
Sports car theory is flawed, as they're technically better than a cheaper car, as well as looking pretty.

Your other examples are notable, but still not on the same level as a smartphone, with on-going costs including monthly bills and application purchases.

I'm happy believing that these people are content with their Apple purchases, I just see them as idiots in my mind. My opinion shouldn't matter to them, anyway. I find it necessary to put my opinion out there when people start raving on and on about these products, though, because from my point of view, they're never going to be as good as the (In the case of computing) cheaper and higher-spec'd alternatives.

Almost everyone falls prey to physical image. A smartphone shouldn't be related to a piece of clothing, though.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
yes it can, for the very same purpose.

it's a brand - it carries associations and connotations of wealth, sophistication, class, 'clique', 'fashion', etc. it's an ACCESSORY.

sports car isn't flawed... i only used the example to point out 'intangible benefit' pricing, i.e. luxury/prestige/veblen pricing. it is technically superior but the cost IS NOT matched on a pound-per-part basis... is it hugely inflated because of the car's brand, image and overall 'experience'.
FFLink
There is.
That's still contradictory to what a smartphone is. It's a phone that offers extended capabilities.

Fine, if Apple want to make an inferior phone that's main appeal is that it's popular with the ladies, then fair enough. People who buy a smartphone for that reason are idiots.

If you want to buy a sports car to look good and drive fast, then I'm sure people who have an interest in mechanics could perceive them as being idiots for not going an alternative route. I can't say much on that example, as I know jack about cars. People dress themselves with their possessions normally to show what kind of person they are. I know I do, anyway.

You're just reinforcing my point, further, as far as I can see. If you buy a smartphone for the intended use of looking good (to some), then sure, go for the iPhone. But if you want a smartphone for the reason of having one or needing one, and prefer a higher-spec'd and competitively priced phone, then go for an alternative that meets those requirements (most others).

I'm not saying that the iPhone doesn't do its job as an smartphone, I'm saying that there are technically better alternatives for a cheaper cost, whose 'app' library is just as useful.

Last edited by FFLink (2010-07-25 18:07:58)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6900|Toronto | Canada

Seriously, would you two just get a room.
FFLink
There is.
Where's the fun in that?
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6291|Carnoustie MASSIF
Uzique should just give up.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
give up what... stating that some people buy technology as a lifestyle accessory and 'statement'?

this has been an obvious, known consumer-phenomenon since consumerism and the concept of materialism began...

you should give up pointlessly siding against me in every little petty thread to further your prissy-bitch agenda. very easy to see. very sad tbh.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6291|Carnoustie MASSIF

Uzique wrote:

give up what... stating that some people buy technology as a lifestyle accessory and 'statement'?

this has been an obvious, known consumer-phenomenon since consumerism and the concept of materialism began...

you should give up pointlessly siding against me in every little petty thread to further your prissy-bitch agenda. very easy to see. very sad tbh.
nah it's just the constant arguing Apple's case every fucking time it comes up. It's boring, old, repetitive, and pointless now.
Microwave
_
+515|6816|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Just read all of this. Uzique is right.

I don't know how you can't see eye to eye here. It's SO SO SO SIMPLE.

There's 2 consumer views: average person, geek. They have different needs and different understanding.

It's so pointless arguing because there isn't a right answer. 'Apple' isn't shit at what it does, it doesn't produce 'shit' devices, they are good for their INTENDED MARKET.

Read what Uzi's written and leave it. He's talking sense. All the arguments against are ENTIRELY missing the point.

Last edited by Microwave (2010-07-26 05:36:52)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

https://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/FF_CCSa1F/chingchongASUSchingchongching.jpg

Am I supposed to leave the battery behind, or what?
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/ … gching.jpg

Am I supposed to leave the battery behind, or what?
I believe it wants you to leave the PC running on battery power to measure how the battery performs...

silly tbh
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
alexb
<3
+590|6101|Kentucky, USA

New internets.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/892456709.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas
jealous
alexb
<3
+590|6101|Kentucky, USA

Bevo wrote:

jealous
I had to put up with 1.5mb/s for a long time, it sucked.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
still a slow upload
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard