Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6358|Winland

I must say that the options Winston posted are quite decent ones indeed.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Well at least give him some suggestions of what to check out...

I'd recommend looking at
Klipsch Promedia 2.1s - for music & movies (subwoofer is a plus on movies)
KRK Rokit 5s - 2.0 monitors, for music (no sub)
Would you consider the Rokits a worthy upgrade considering the means I'm using to play music? Will my onboard sound from my laptop suffice, or should I look into alternative means for output?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

They'll definitely be an upgrade. If your laptop's sound card is good-enough or not is up to you to judge. The biggest difference between sound cards is the noise floor. If there's a lot of screeching and buzzing, you might want to consider buying something better.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

They'll definitely be an upgrade. If your laptop's sound card is good-enough or not is up to you to judge. The biggest difference between sound cards is the noise floor. If there's a lot of screeching and buzzing, you might want to consider buying something better.
I can't seem to find what onboard audio my laptop has - IDT High definition Audio? The External is Soundblaster X-FI MB. My PC runs some Realtek HDMI.

I may head over to bestbuy and see what's what.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5911|شمال
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6900|Toronto | Canada

I doubt Best Buy will have speakers like those, and if they did they'd be horribly overpriced.

And yeah, they'd definitely be worth it with or without the soundcard, you would notice a difference for sure.  And with the soundcard they'll sound awesome.

Either way, it will be a significant improvement.  Then once you have more money and think they could sound a little better you can look into other ways of outputting audio, its probably not worth it though.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

That is fucking sweet xD
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
it's so sad when people derive comedy/entertainment out of senseless-shite with things they have never even used/touched/experienced...

floppy i think freud would say that you turn your social awkwardness and general bitter-melancholic depression outwards in a series of senseless statements and petty-hatreds. sad.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

it's so sad when people derive comedy/entertainment out of senseless-shite with things they have never even used/touched/experienced...

floppy i think freud would say that you turn your social awkwardness and general bitter-melancholic depression outwards in a series of senseless statements and petty-hatreds. sad.
Oh you are so smart Uzique.. I wan't to be just like you when I grow up

Now, please go die in a fire... I will continue to hate apple and their inferior products while having a good laugh at all the muppets buying their products... kthxbai
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
"sad". very pathetic and petty... don't you think? inferior products? inferior to what?

i suppose this will be like every other tech-thread where you make some angry-at-life comments and then fuck off because you have no rational reaasoning behind your little petty grievances. are you sure you're not considering jumping into a fire yourself? life seems hard for you... it's okay. steve jobs is here to fill our miserable human existences with wonderful, neat little gadgets.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

"sad". very pathetic and petty... don't you think? inferior products? inferior to what?

i suppose this will be like every other tech-thread where you make some angry-at-life comments and then fuck off because you have no rational reaasoning behind your little petty grievances. are you sure you're not considering jumping into a fire yourself? life seems hard for you... it's okay. steve jobs is here to fill our miserable human existences with wonderful, neat little gadgets.
*baw*

Inferior in the aspect that they spec lower than any other competing product and still cost more than the most expensive competition...

Not to mention the apps... Winmo & Android have a shitload of free apps...
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I doubt Best Buy will have speakers like those, and if they did they'd be horribly overpriced.

And yeah, they'd definitely be worth it with or without the soundcard, you would notice a difference for sure.  And with the soundcard they'll sound awesome.

Either way, it will be a significant improvement.  Then once you have more money and think they could sound a little better you can look into other ways of outputting audio, its probably not worth it though.
What do you mean with/without the soundcard? I have no idea how any of those cards I posted compare, I'd assume the PC onboard was better than the laptop, and have no idea about the external.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632

FloppY_ wrote:

Uzique wrote:

*baw*

Inferior in the aspect that they spec lower than any other competing product and still cost more than the most expensive competition...

sorry but they don't spec lower at all... very competitive hardware, if you take their product-refresh cycles into account.

and i can guarantee that iphones/itouch/ipads have WAY more free apps... check your info, dumbass
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas
Unrelated:

My friend has a Dell dimension 8400 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-d … 19189.html ), tis running absolutely terrible for him. It has 512MB of DDR RAM - part of his issue, I'm guessing. I have 4 2G sticks of DDR 400 ECC RAM - I can just stick two of these sticks in there, yes? I assume he has 32bit, so he'll only be able to run 3gigs of it, but this should work, yes?
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Uzique wrote:

*baw*

sorry but they don't spec lower at all... very competitive hardware, if you take their product-refresh cycles into account.

and i can guarantee that iphones/itouch/ipads have WAY more free apps... check your info, dumbass
k "dumbass"...

but both iPhone and iPad are horribly behind on hardware...

The iPad is outspecced even by 5year old hardware, fuck you could even get tablets back in the 90s that could do the same yet more
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6788|UK
Though I presume they were much bigger, chunkier and generally less appealing to the consumer?
FloppY_
­

liquidat0r wrote:

Though I presume they were much bigger, chunkier and generally less appealing to the consumer?
Like all old tech yes somewhat... but I have seen a particular 5year old HP tablet that was compared to the iPad outspec.'ing it in every way whilst beeing the same size...

And as it is now, the iPad is a laughable product... basically a supersized iPod

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-07-25 16:02:57)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Uzique wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Uzique wrote:

*baw*

I hope you're only referring to their "gadgets" by that.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Bevo wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

What do you mean with/without the soundcard? I have no idea how any of those cards I posted compare, I'd assume the PC onboard was better than the laptop, and have no idea about the external.

Bevo wrote:

- Typically I play music out of my laptop. I have an external SoundBlaster X-Fi notebook card that can be used, but I typically don't since I can't really tell the difference out of these speakers. I don't know if it's worth anything, but I have it.
I thought you said you had a soundcard?  It will sound better with a dedicated soundcard, but honestly probably not enough that you would notice it as a casual listener. 

The soundcard will sound better than your onboard, and likely the laptop and desktop onboard will be somewhat equivalent.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

Uzique wrote:

Ehrm are you seriously saying windows based tablet doesn't have as much free apps as ipad?
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Bevo wrote:

- Typically I play music out of my laptop. I have an external SoundBlaster X-Fi notebook card that can be used, but I typically don't since I can't really tell the difference out of these speakers. I don't know if it's worth anything, but I have it.
I thought you said you had a soundcard?  It will sound better with a dedicated soundcard, but honestly probably not enough that you would notice it as a casual listener. 

The soundcard will sound better than your onboard, and likely the laptop and desktop onboard will be somewhat equivalent.
Oh, alright. Yeah. The SoundBlaster X-Fi just kinda sticks out the side of my laptop. Only ever use it while the laptop is sitting at my desk so it wouldn't be a big issue.

I wish I could give these speakers a test listen. D:
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Ehrm are you seriously saying windows based tablet doesn't have as much free apps as ipad?
I think he's referring to toys that run Android and stuff.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Bevo wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Oh, alright. Yeah. The SoundBlaster X-Fi just kinda sticks out the side of my laptop. Only ever use it while the laptop is sitting at my desk so it wouldn't be a big issue.

I wish I could give these speakers a test listen. D:
I have Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1s and they're super sexy.  I'd definitely recommend Klipsch for speakers.

My friend has KRK Rokits and I've only heard them once for about 10 minutes but they sounded great.

If you can find them in a physical store you can ask about their return service... then buy them and if you like them, keep them.  If you dont, just return them.  You could also return them if you like them and buy them online for a (likely) better price
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I think he's referring to toys that run Android and stuff.
yes... the comparison was for apps as in 'apps' pertaining to iphone/ipad devices... not applications for tablet-devices. gadget-apps.

to seriously compare the current hardware of a mac product to that of existing pc-technology is a bit... misguided, and besides the point. macs are an all-in-one technological solution- a complete purchase, a gadget that you buy and put in your living-room and use... not something you have to be concerned with technically or hardware-wise. as i said, considering macs product-life refresh cycles, their hardware is fine. looking at, say, the imac or the mac pro, which was last updated about 12 months ago... yes, of course, obviously it will not have the latest Nvidia GPU's or the fastest RAM. but it's not a custom-built gaming computer and does not pretend to be - nor does it advertise to that market. apart from being pedantic or overly picky (you have to always bear in mind the PURPOSE of the technology as a product to a consumer... not as a technological marvel in itself) matters... it is thus fair to say that macs hardware is fine at keeping up with and implementing newer technologies. furthermore, to say then that their hardware is "inferior" is a gross exaggeration. im thinking more of the macbooks/mbp's/imacs etc. when discussing this, obviously... i cannot say in all honesty that the 'technology' and hardware in a tablet or a phone is really of any real concern to any real person. you're discussing these things on a gaming/tech-orientated forum... the relative importance of these things is always going to be warped. as i said in an android discussion thread a few weeks back: yes, android is probably faster at certain things, and the apple contender is technically 'inferior'... but by an entirely negligible and slight degree. loading java 0.25s faster is not going to swing any average-joe's consuming decisions.

ta.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

liquidat0r wrote:

Does it really look bigger or heavier than iPad? Even packed with proper laptop hardware and connections.

https://thinklaptops.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lenovo_x200t_2.jpg

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2010-07-25 16:32:16)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard