-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada

FloppY_ wrote:

max wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Manage cables to meet outside house and mount radiator there?

Surely the water doesn't get super hot in a watercooled system.. does it?
The water in my loop is currently 3°C above ambient.

If you're going through the trouble of running tubing outside, I'd bury a bunch of copper tubing in the garden and use that as a heatsink. Then you can enjoy cold water year round, even in the hottest summer. If you do it right, you could even use the PC as an air conditioner. That said, you'd have to insulate the crap out of the PC. Don't want any water condensation dripping onto your GPU
Meh... I still don't see the point with watercooling...

It's not quieter, it's not particularly cooler (as in temps) and it requires more maintanance and fitting AND is more costly... all -'s
It is quieter if you take the noise stock VGA heatsinks put out, does not require much maintanace if done right, it is more costly to start, but you can move most of it from pc to pc to pc if you choose your parts right, so that will bring down costs over the long haul.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6852|Devon, England

Nic wrote:

put beer in it, it will work better for you, the minifridge will not work for it.
Know that for a fact?

Beverages and chocolate would be the main contents of said mini-fridge, but I still see how theoretically putting a radiator for a WC system inside wouldn't 'help' your PC. It would keep the rad cooler than any fan could and would also eliminate noise.

If someone who enjoyed doing pointless mods was to do something like that, I think it would work.

Last edited by FFLink (2010-07-24 19:57:11)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6728|NYC / Hamburg

FFLink wrote:

max wrote:

FFLink wrote:

<FFLink> Here's a thought.
<FFLink> Watercooling
<FFLink> The radiator is the main part that spreads cooling
<FFLink> So the colder that is, the coler the temps
<FFLink> *Cooler
<FFLink> Surely, you could just shove the radiator into a fridge?
<FFLink> Like, by a mini fridge
<FFLink> Link your system to it
<FFLink> Also keep beverages in it

Thinking of a new future project...
Won't work. No fridge can take the heat from a running PC. It'll either just shut down or overheat or break.
How would the fridge shut down?

I mean like this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/489/ … pboard.png

Would take some modding, fitting the tubing through the fridge's case, etc.

I don't see how it would break the fridge. You could possibly still mount fans on the rad, too, and it would also eliminate any noise within the PC apart from any loud case fans, the pump and hard drives.
Say you're dumping 200W into the loop and the fridge can remove 30W (100BTU/hour should be around what a decent fridge can do). Since fridges have great insulation, you're going to heat up the air inside the fridge with 170W. Very soon it's going to be rather warm inside the fridge. At some point compressor will take damage. In order to prevent that from happening, some manufacturers build sensors into the fridge so it'll shut down before it takes damage
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6852|Devon, England

max wrote:

FFLink wrote:

max wrote:

Won't work. No fridge can take the heat from a running PC. It'll either just shut down or overheat or break.
How would the fridge shut down?

I mean like this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/489/ … pboard.png

Would take some modding, fitting the tubing through the fridge's case, etc.

I don't see how it would break the fridge. You could possibly still mount fans on the rad, too, and it would also eliminate any noise within the PC apart from any loud case fans, the pump and hard drives.
Say you're dumping 200W into the loop and the fridge can remove 30W (100BTU/hour should be around what a decent fridge can do). Since fridges have great insulation, you're going to heat up the air inside the fridge with 170W. Very soon it's going to be rather warm inside the fridge. At some point compressor will take damage. In order to prevent that from happening, some manufacturers build sensors into the fridge so it'll shut down before it takes damage
Hmm, I see your point now. The fridge won't be able to keep up with the heat being output.

Still a fun idea, just not... Workable.

Unless you place the mini-fridge inside a bigger fridge!
max
Vela Incident

You can use a phase change to hit those really low temps. Not really useful for a day-to-day machine. Loads work to setup and run with all the insulating you need. Plus they need a ton of power. Even TECs are questionable for 24/7 use.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada
S'right, you can also look at it as running a swiftech 3x120 rad with 3 yate loons pushing 47 Cubic feet each a minute (pretty average set up) inside a 4-6 cubic foot space, thats putting all the air in the case through the rad ~28 times a minute, a fridge cannot keep up with that, if it didnt shut down like max said, the compressor would run 24/7 and burn out.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada

max wrote:

You can use a phase change to hit those really low temps. Not really useful for a day-to-day machine. Loads work to setup and run with all the insulating you need. Plus they need a ton of power. Even TECs are questionable for 24/7 use.
I've also read that TEC's are quite delicate and a pain to work with.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6336|Sydney | ♥

Link watercooling to an inside pool.

Cool comp and heat pool
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
max
Vela Incident

tazz. wrote:

Link watercooling to an inside pool.

Cool comp and heat pool
Now that's an idea I like. Only problem is when the girls want you to up the temperature on the pool Can't do that, have to keep the CPU at 10°C
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6336|Sydney | ♥

10°C

lololol

E: Cold pool = perky tits

but a small john

Last edited by tazz. (2010-07-24 20:52:15)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
max
Vela Incident

guess who just rediscovered the joys of Newzbin + SABnzbd+

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/nigelf/Capture-6.png

Spoiler (highlight to read):
yes, that's 335GB of downloads.

Picking up a couple classics I'm missing, getting a decent quality copy of the Simpsons. The ones I have are nearly all 320x240 *shudder*
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6575|Finland

Nic wrote:

It is quieter if you take the noise stock VGA heatsinks put out, does not require much maintanace if done right, it is more costly to start, but you can move most of it from pc to pc to pc if you choose your parts right, so that will bring down costs over the long haul.
In all honesty there are some very good aftermarket aircoolers for VGA these days that are very quiet, yet effective.

Nic wrote:

max wrote:

I've also read that TEC's are quite delicate and a pain to work with.
Current TEC elements used in home PC cooling are subpar to the industry ones and break easily and their lifetime is quite short.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2010-07-25 05:49:30)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5949|Catherine Black
Panzer you not looking to swap your 5870 for dual 460s? Woulda thought you'd be right for that..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6575|Finland

Finray wrote:

Panzer you not looking to swap your 5870 for dual 460s? Woulda thought you'd be right for that..
I know better. SLi and CF have major issues behind the technology. I really don't want to get multi-GPU setup unless I absolutely have to.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Isn't MS less prominent in nVidia than ATi though?
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6575|Finland

Finray wrote:

Isn't MS less prominent in nVidia than ATi though?
Depends on many things. And even two builds with same specs can be different.

Tough luck for those who get it worse.
Microwave
_
+515|6816|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Just bought a 2nd GTX 285 today. Second hand, £130!!
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Microwave wrote:

Just bought a 2nd GTX 285 today. Second hand, £130!!
sounds pretty expensive
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Microwave
_
Erm, not really.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6291|Carnoustie MASSIF
Lol James.

Posting from my mates 15" MBP. Lovely piece of kit.
Microwave
_
Posting on my MBP at the moment whilst playing counter strike on my pc it's perfect!

I'm really starting to like the mac, now I've got it configured and software installed I'm happy.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
15" MBP's are gay...

get the 17" or go home!

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-25 08:31:53)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Microwave
_
13" = portable (makes most sense for a laptop), 17" = desktop replacement, 15" = in the middle, kinda pointless
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Microwave wrote:

Erm, not really.
This... a first-hand 5770 is around the same price.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6358|Winland

Uzique wrote:

15" MBP's are gay...

get the 17" or go home!
I love how the 17" Macbook doesn't have a numpad. That's the one reason I'm going 17" with my next laptop.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard