HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5494|Bolingbrook, Illinois
Alright, I have this Infinity Subwoofer.  The part in the back where you plug in the cables fell out and into the subwoofer.  I would like to take it and put it back into place.

So, I need to open the subwoofer.  But, it has no screws.  It seems to be glued shut.  What should I do to try and fix it?
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6141|Carnoustie MASSIF

HaiBai wrote:

It seems to be glued shut.
fucking smash it
HaiBai

CammRobb wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

It seems to be glued shut.
fucking smash it
wont that ruin it?  and its not an infinity subwoofer, but the logo is a a lower case i and then like a C in the background
HaiBai
i tried cutting it with a kitchen/butter knife but it didnt work
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6141|Carnoustie MASSIF

HaiBai wrote:

i tried cutting it with a kitchen/butter knife but it didnt work
get something that dissolves the glue, rub that into the joins, and it might get rid of it.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5189|Sydney
If it's glued it probably was never meant to be opened. You'll do some damage but as long as you can get it back together so it's a tight fit (for bass response) then you should be ok I guess
OxenBreeder
+46|5776|KTRI
Can you open the front panel of the speaker? Most usually have a cover that will pop off.  If so, see if you can unscrew the woofer out of its enclosure to fix??
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6208|Winland

Unscrew the driver.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6630|Auteuil, Laval

OxenBreeder wrote:

Can you open the front panel of the speaker? Most usually have a cover that will pop off.  If so, see if you can unscrew the woofer out of its enclosure to fix??
I second that however...

Sometimes drivers are mounted from behind. 
That part that did fell and left a hole, is it big enough to pass your hand through it to access the woofer?

If not I could repair it but I'm way far for you to drive here.
Cut a piece out of the woofer but keep it, get a bigger piece of High density fiber board (Or a inert hard wood piece), mount the cut part to it and then mount the two assembled parts to the speaker. with proper glue and screws.  The air volume does not change so the sound should remain the same.
The hole you make should not be huge, just big enough so you can pass one hand through.  You do not want to alter much the original casing of the driver.

/fixed
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6705|The Ville
Take it to where ever you bought it and have them do it for you.
HaiBai
alright, on the panel where you plug the cables into, there was a sticker covering the screws.  so we unscrewed it and hotglued it back into place.
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney
It should be pretty tight if you glued it, so as long as the wiring is in place it should sound the same.
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

It should be pretty tight if you glued it, so as long as the wiring is in place it should sound the same.
alright thats great. 

but since i already made this thread, i might as well ask.  the left speaker still doesn't work for some reason.  is there anything i can do to like check it or find out what's wrong?
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6485|Foothills of S. Carolina

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

alright thats great. 

but since i already made this thread, i might as well ask.  the left speaker still doesn't work for some reason.  is there anything i can do to like check it or find out what's wrong?
You could check the winding of the speaker with an ohmmeter. It should show a low reading, depending on the speaker. If the meter shows a reading of 0L or dashes, odds are good that the coil is broken.
alexb
<3
+590|5950|Kentucky, USA

I'm pretty sure subwoofers only have one driver... (speaker).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Off the wall, I remember a situation where church staff CUT HOLES into their speakers--loaned by one of the members--so they could hang them on the walls.
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Off the wall, I remember a situation where church staff CUT HOLES into their speakers--loaned by one of the members--so they could hang them on the walls.
https://atlbimmer.com/forums/images/vbsmilies/facepalm.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard