Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5833

Poseidon wrote:

lmfao @ the karma. rage much?
Lool. Successful troll is successful.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|5308|Carnoustie MASSIF
Half Life/Blue Shift/Opposing Force. I played them so much that before I jumped off a tree or something like that, I used to think 'I should hit quicksave now'
FloppY_
­
+1,010|5464|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

CammRobb wrote:

Half Life/Blue Shift/Opposing Force. I played them so much that before I jumped off a tree or something like that, I used to think 'I should hit quicksave now'
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
13rin
Member
+977|5657
Wolfenstein.  Then DOOM.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|5334|Vancouver | Canada
Fist FPS I played was Goldeneye, but the first one I played a lot was CS 1.6, then BF2.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4536|London, England
I remember being in my dad's office one night and playing Descent on a LAN containing eight occupied computers. It was epic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+347|5724
Wolfenstein 3D

First multiplayer was Duke Nukem 3D over modem. HoloDuke + pipe bombs.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|5502|Graz, Austria
My first FPS games where Doom 2 and Rise Of The Triad.
The former impressed me quite a lot, so much that I feared to play on 'nightmare' difficulty, because cheat codes are disabled there.
The latter was the first game that I played multiplayer 1vs.1 via nullmodem cable. This game already had a lot of different multiplayer modes in 1994 that only became standard a decade later.

Later, Duke Nukem 3D was the first FPS game that got me hooked for many months.
I played that a lot in multiplayer in my school's LAN.
It was also one of the last FPS games that I played keyboard only until the release of Half-Life.

Macbeth wrote:

Doom 2
I still remember the cheat codes perfectly lol
Hehe. Me too.
I always try them in other games that have type-in cheat codes, just to see if the devs are using them or coming up with a witty remark.
I believe there is a "This is not Doom" response in one of the original Earthworm Jim games.
jsnipy
...
+3,275|5701|...

Rise of the Triad. Played it on a friend's brother's pc. Shortly after got into doom for the snes console. Quake 1: team Fortress is when i really got into playing an online (1997, 56k, rendition verite).

https://img532.imageshack.us/img532/2527/rott5.gif

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-06-22 17:33:00)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5833

jsnipy wrote:

Rise of the Triad. Played it on a friend's brother's pc. Shortly after got into doom for the snes console. Quake 1: team Fortress is when i really got into playing an online (1997, 56k, rendition verite).

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/2527/rott5.gif
omfggggggg!!!!!!!! I remember that game! I could not remember the name of it for the life of me until now. I only played the shareware version though
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,954|5950|USA

[email protected] wrote:

I remember being in my dad's office one night and playing Descent on a LAN containing eight occupied computers. It was epic.
Lucky bastard, I only got to do two players over modem.

mtb0minime wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Rise of the Triad. Played it on a friend's brother's pc. Shortly after got into doom for the snes console. Quake 1: team Fortress is when i really got into playing an online (1997, 56k, rendition verite).

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/2527/rott5.gif
omfggggggg!!!!!!!! I remember that game! I could not remember the name of it for the life of me until now. I only played the shareware version though
I could never find people who wanted to play RotT. Don't know why, it was ludicrously fun.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5833

The weapons were really cool. I remember there was one that shot a wall of fire that pretty much swept through all of the area that you could see
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|5773|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

mtb0minime wrote:

The weapons were really cool. I remember there was one that shot a wall of fire that pretty much swept through all of the area that you could see
they don't put guns like that into games anymore tbh. I want them to bring that shit back.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5110|CA
Doom. It gave me motion sickness.
aimless
Member
+166|5303|Texas
Chex Quest, modded doom engine, came in a box of cereal. After that was quake 3, then halo pc, vcod, bf2, then back to vcod and q3.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5833

aimless wrote:

Chex Quest, modded doom engine, came in a box of cereal. After that was quake 3, then halo pc, vcod, bf2, then back to vcod and q3.
Holy shit! Another epic nostalgia moment! I remember that Chex game. So fucking awesome!!!!!!!!
aimless
Member
+166|5303|Texas

mtb0minime wrote:

aimless wrote:

Chex Quest, modded doom engine, came in a box of cereal. After that was quake 3, then halo pc, vcod, bf2, then back to vcod and q3.
Holy shit! Another epic nostalgia moment! I remember that Chex game. So fucking awesome!!!!!!!!
Yeah I was pretty young when I started playing it, probably 8 or 9. It was all I did on weekends since I wasn't allowed to play during school nights. I had it on lockdown I began doing speed runs.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|5690|Gold Coast
Delta Force Land Warrior.

I can remember talking to some dude from either Norway or Sweden.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|5569

The first Call of Duty.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|5327|'straya
first FPS I played was goldeneye... first FPS I played alot of would be Call of Duty
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,760|5331|what

DOOM


I fucken loved it. Even on my pc now I have DOOM, DOOM2, DOOM collectors edition and a few other versions. Got all the Quake, Heretic, Hexen too.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

"coz you a far cry from acclaim nigga ubisoft"
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|5918
Golden Eye
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|5502|Graz, Austria

mtb0minime wrote:

The weapons were really cool. I remember there was one that shot a wall of fire that pretty much swept through all of the area that you could see
That would be the "Flamewall".
https://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2260/flamewall3.jpg

I liked the Excalibat, a magical baseball bat that could - beside smashing enemy faces - fire explosive baseballs.
https://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9343/bato.gif

Other great things:
The God mode and the Dog mode.
The former turned you into a divine being, allowing you to kill by pointing at enemies with your finger.
https://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5251/rottgod.gif
The latter turned you into a dog, allowing you to run very fast and mangle enemies with your fangs.
https://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8625/rottdogmode5rw.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,954|5950|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Wolfenstein 3d was what got me started. When Doom came out (and I somehow managed to sneak it past disapproving parents who wound up playing it anyway), that sealed the deal. My first 'online' fps games were with a buddy on Doom, Heretic and eventually Descent. Then came regular online play with Quake 1, Quake 2, then eventually Jedi Knight 1 and Delta Force 2.

Still probably logged more time on MUDs than any one of the above.
did it impact you?
Oh yeah, forgot. Um, yeah. Wolf3d and then Doom pretty much sealed the deal for me as far as computer games went, especially as I was still bitterly reeling from the unnecessarily forced sale of my 'birthday present' consoles to allow for the acquisition of a PC.
Fynnegin
(:
+8|4237|Tampa
My first was Halo: Combat Evolved. Man, I loved that game. I played through it at least 10 or 12 times, amazing. The first online game I played was BF2 at a friends place. I loved it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard