presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

BALTINS wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

pace51 wrote:

Leave finland out of this. The winter war, yeah, Russia doesn't deserve respect for that. However, they deserve some respect for what they did in ww2 (Not the raping or pillaging, the part where they pushed germany back at great cost to themselves)
Well by that logic the Germans deserve respect for fighting Stalins dictatorship and killing so many of the other Allies that had bombed civilians.
Oh they dont deserve respect for the genocide and raping though.

On a side note: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … lties2.svg
As you can see, the Russian losses were completely justified...
Weird table, we are shown as allies, our military deaths aren't shown though, because our men fought in the Latvian Waffen SS legion.
The Latvian legion of the SS was mainly conscripted and at the start of the war Latvia had fought the Germans and Russians, only thing reason I'd guess Latvia was under the "Allied banner".
I just can't understand why people seem to think any government deserves respect for WWII, no war has come close to the loss of life in and after the war.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6484|Latvia

presidentsheep wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Well by that logic the Germans deserve respect for fighting Stalins dictatorship and killing so many of the other Allies that had bombed civilians.
Oh they dont deserve respect for the genocide and raping though.

On a side note: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … lties2.svg
As you can see, the Russian losses were completely justified...
Weird table, we are shown as allies, our military deaths aren't shown though, because our men fought in the Latvian Waffen SS legion.
The Latvian legion of the SS was mainly conscripted and at the start of the war Latvia had fought the Germans and Russians, only thing reason I'd guess Latvia was under the "Allied banner".
I just can't understand why people seem to think any government deserves respect for WWII, no war has come close to the loss of life in and after the war.
The Latvian government declared neutrality when the war broke out and the legion never fought nor had the intentions to fight the Western Allies. I guess better the Allied banner then the Axis one.

The governments don't, but the people who suffered and fought do deserve respect.

Last edited by BALTINS (2010-06-11 05:59:54)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

BALTINS wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

The Latvian government declared neutrality when the war broke out and the legion never fought or had the intentions to fight the Western Allies. I guess better the Allied banner then the Axis one.

The governments don't, but the people who suffered and fought do deserve respect.
In general, yes, but I dont see the point in glossing over the fact that lots of troops helped commit genocide. There were horrible things done on both sides, history is kinder to the Allies because they wrote it...
pace51
Boom?
+194|5171|Markham, Ontario

presidentsheep wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

The Latvian government declared neutrality when the war broke out and the legion never fought or had the intentions to fight the Western Allies. I guess better the Allied banner then the Axis one.

In general, yes, but I dont see the point in glossing over the fact that lots of troops helped commit genocide. There were horrible things done on both sides, history is kinder to the Allies because they wrote it...
Yes... lets setttle the argument like this. The soldiers that didn't participate in the acts of evil, or the soldiers who tried hard to fight for their country, etc. are the ones that deserve respect.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
https://www.bigqueer.com/uploads/FuckYeah.jpg
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6704
Do you have to debate this every fricking veteran's day?  Get over it.
pace51
Boom?

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Do you have to debate this every fricking veteran's day?
Yes. It makes for good debating. Italy should get more credit, they pretty much decided the war was wrong and abstained from it of their own accord.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

pace51 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Do you have to debate this every fricking veteran's day?
Yes. It makes for good debating. Italy should get more credit, they pretty much decided the war was wrong and abstained from it of their own accord.
?
pace51
Boom?
They hung mussolini. Well, maybe that wasn't deciding the war was wrong, just getting fed up. After that, Germany did most of the defending of Italy.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
do me a favour, next time you go to wikipedia to rip of an article on some obscure jet no one gives a shit about, read the section on ww2 as well.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6322|New Haven, CT

Uzique wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

America saved your ass
lel

and we were paying it back until the 1980's... generous of you

also you didn't really give much of a shit about japan or germany up until the point where it trod on your own toes

i refuse to see america as a 'hero' in that farcical account of history. i don't really care what sorta shit you're spoonfed in your crappy school system.
What happened on the battlefield is independent of the motivations for doing it, isn't it?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-06-11 20:50:24)

Fallschirmjager10
+36|6458
RIP Axis troops
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

RIP Axis troops
I would have never expected something like that from a person with that user name.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

nukchebi0 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

America saved your ass
lel

also you didn't really give much of a shit about japan or germany up until the point where it trod on your own toes

i refuse to see america as a 'hero' in that farcical account of history. i don't really care what sorta shit you're spoonfed in your crappy school system.
What happened on the battlefield is independent of the motivations for doing it, isn't it?
Not really... The Americans couldn't have given less of a shit about a war in Europe up until pearl harbour was bombed.
Without US involvement in the war the soviets would have won and then America would have a huge Communist superpower on it's hands, that is why America joined the war. They saved no-ones asses but their own.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

presidentsheep wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lel

Not really... The Americans couldn't have given less of a shit about a war in Europe up until pearl harbour was bombed.
Without US involvement in the war the soviets would have won and then America would have a huge Communist superpower on it's hands, that is why America joined the war. They saved no-ones asses but their own.
so i guess all the supplies and money didnt help did it?  ungrateful cunts the lot of you.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

11 Bravo wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

so i guess all the supplies and money didnt help did it?  ungrateful cunts the lot of you.
We're not ungrateful, we finished paying it off, with interest, in 2006.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2010-06-12 05:40:42)

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

presidentsheep wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

without that you think your little island wouldnt be german or russian?  and paying it off has nothing to do with what i am saying.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
Once again, no country, and nobody does anything that doesn't benefit them in some way.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=109344
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

11 Bravo wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

without that you think your little island wouldnt be german or russian?  and paying it off has nothing to do with what i am saying.
Yes, I do think that.
WWII was fought and lost on the eastern front, which is still the largest theater of war in human history.
The battle of Moscow was won decisively by the Russians in 1942, after that the Germans were on the back foot seeing as how around 80% of their forces were deployed on that front... And they were losing.
The Western front was a tiny annoyance to the third reich, even with the involvement of the US. The only reason people think otherwise is that American war films have blown it all out of proportion.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

"team effort"? ah, you mean that episode when the free and the brave were sitting back doing what they do best - lending money to those, who did actual fighting? - sure, it helped. thank you for reminding me of our debt, kind sir. don't worry, we intend to pay you back eventually.
Nice. As if that was the point. It wasn't money that was lent, but rather warfighting equipment. Equipment that Russia (and England and others) did not have and did not have the capacity to produce due to war losses at the time. Equipment that got Russia "over the hump" until she could get her industry re-distributed out of reach of Germany and back on its feet.
the point was - ussr stood between a good number of those people, who now cry "commies weren't any better than nazies" and total annihilation. the point was there would not have been slavs, gipsies, asians, jews and allah knows whom else left in the larger part of the world if ussr didn't stand up to the menace of nazi germany. and what have usa been doing? - oh yeah, lending stuff, fixing their failing economy, getting eveybody indebted to them so that they could coerce them into various economical and political deals later. did lend-lease help - certainly. it was crucial to the soviet union's war effort, especially in the beginning of the war, but it only amounted for about 5% of the total equipment manufactured and used by ussr during the war.

f i v e
p e r c e n t

that was your part in "team effort", which, btw, we still have to pay you back for.

FEOS wrote:

And in 42-43, we were fighting too...on multiple fronts. Don't know if you realized that.
just not with nazi germany and not where it actually mattered. but, yeah, usa did fight some. even lost 200 000+ of their men. while soviet union lost thirty five millions.

so please, puh-lease, flush the "team effort" and "united nations" with the rest of your crap. ussr won the war against nazi germany, with some help from the allies. end of story.
No, I guess the Allies (that would be a "team" of "united nations" weren't fighting Nazi Germany in North Africa or Italy during 42 & 43, were we? Nope, the ONLY fighting going on was in Russia. That's it. All the history books are wrong. And my grandfather was just making up stories. He probably put that shrapnel in his back as part of the great conspiracy to make it seem like the US saved the world singlehandedly, too.

"Not where it actually mattered". You have no concept of history, Shahter. You think the only thing that counts is the number of casualties. Yes, the USSR lost a lot of people. That speaks more to how the Germans attacked and how the USSR employed its army than it does to how much or little the others fought themselves.

RAIMIUS pointed out the CBO, the impact on the Luftwaffe, industry, etc. There were various pressures being placed on the Axis from multiple directions. Had the pressures on German industry and infrastructure not been there, Russia wouldn't have seen the success they did, because the Luftwaffe would've been flying without problems--the USSR certainly didn't have bombing capability to use against them. Without the POL pressure in North Africa, the ME, and the pressure coming up through Italy, German forces wouldn't have had logistics problems and wouldn't have been split against multiple fronts, giving the Russians even more to fight against--which would've made Moscow and Stalingrad and those other battles possibly come out differently.

So, no, if the USSR hadn't had help, she may very well NOT have won on her own. Regardless of what the "great man" Stalin told you.

And all those things I pointed out uzique? Those were TEAM efforts...not US alone.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Not all this again.....

Can't we just agree that there were 3 nations that were pivotal in winning WWII for the Allies; the US, UK and Russia?

Other countries contributed a lot too, but without the involvement of any of the other 3 the outcome could've been very different.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Bertster7 wrote:

Not all this again.....

Can't we just agree that there were 3 nations that were pivotal in winning WWII for the Allies; the US, UK and Russia?

Other countries contributed a lot too, but without the involvement of any of the other 3 the outcome could've been very different.
Even with all three, the outcome could've still been very different.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not all this again.....

Only if you want to be ridiculously pedantic.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

presidentsheep wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lel

Right. Because we didn't provide massive supplies to the UK and Russia prior to Pearl Harbor. We didn't give you fifty destroyers via Lend-Lease. We didn't sell you Grant and Sherman tanks for Montgomery's army. We were 100% neutral

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-06-12 08:43:36)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Bertster7 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not all this again.....

Only if you want to be ridiculously pedantic.
What does pedantic have to do with it? The fact was, subduing the Axis was not a stroll through the park. Defeat was a looming possibility with any stretch of the imagination. We should all consider ourselves lucky.

Besides which, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard