Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney
Just wondering if I really need this feature running in Windows 7.

When it backs up it takes up 36G of space, but I've never had to use it so far (touch wood).

If I've already got system restore in place, is it really important to have Windows Backup too?

I did a search on Google but all I could come up with were "how to" guides, and no answers.
alexb
<3
+590|5941|Kentucky, USA

I don't even use system restore - I've had it create more problems than it actually fixes. Just buy an external drive and make frequent backups, imo - its what I do.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
Ok, so by frequent backups you mean files, or an actual windows image?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
System restore (XP) has saved me a few times.
Vista seems so flakey its a miracle it even boots, I'm doubtful the restore function would do much but emit smoke.

Each time I do a rebuild I regret not taking an image of the fresh install.....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
TravisC555
+118|6220|Cox Convention Center, OK
TBH I just back up my documents. Music, Steam games, and any other files I feel are important (not anything Windows, I'll use system restore if I need to) just stuff like that to an external hdd that I have.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5718|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Only thing I ever back up is my photos. Music I can rip back onto a computer off my iPod, TV/Movies can be redownloaded, Games can be reinstalled. But my photos would be gone forever.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Windows Home Server incremental backups/images FTW!!!...
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
I use it
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6671|The Netherlands
Since windows 7 I let my laptop and desktop backup every week to my (Linux) server.
Didn't need it as of yet, but when my PSU blew up I probably would have been in a lot more distress that when I didn't had the backups.
Phrozenbot
+632|6616|do not disturb

alexb wrote:

I don't even use system restore - I've had it create more problems than it actually fixes. Just buy an external drive and make frequent backups, imo - its what I do.
Same here.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
So if I kept just one Windows Image backup, that'd be fine?
It's just that they keep getting bigger each time. The last one was 36G, the next one is 50G...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard