pace51
Boom?
+194|5321|Markham, Ontario

Dilbert_X wrote:

Keep it as it is, dividing it up wouldn't change people's behaviour.

Maybe an auto-close feature after 20 pages, 50 if its a lowing thread.
You're right, it wouldn't change peoples behaviour, unless the mods put in some stricter rules. Actually, the mods shouldn't have to resort to strictness, but if people don't behave in the one place (DST) they're supposed to behave in, then strictness may be needed.

Last edited by pace51 (2010-06-04 07:03:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6253|eXtreme to the maX

Pace51 wrote:

Subsections would increase posting. If someone has eight debate topics, their not gonna put them all in DST because they'd be called a spammer, or take away from the other arguments. But if there were seperate sections, that person could put one or two per section and they wouldn't clutter up anything.
So we want to help spammers - don't think so.

DAST is fairly slow-moving, and we don't have dozens of spam threads locked every day so its not a huge problem.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-04 07:05:02)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6300|what

But you can avoid a subsection and avoid the spam... or even users much more easily.

I'd like to see a DST section that didn't involve the same arguments, and could just contain the tech/science topics which are generally SERIOUS TALK and not circular DEBATE.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
pace51
Boom?

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pace51 wrote:

Subsections would increase posting. If someone has eight debate topics, their not gonna put them all in DST because they'd be called a spammer, or take away from the other arguments. But if there were seperate sections, that person could put one or two per section and they wouldn't clutter up anything.
So we want to help spammers - don't think so.

DAST is fairly slow-moving, and we don't have dozens of spam threads locked every day so its not a huge problem.
I don't mean help spammers, I mean speed up DST a bit. Give people more things to debate about, and make it easier to find stuff.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6689|Texas - Bigger than France
Well, there's subsections in EE, but I don't search that way - I just hit "new posts"
pace51
Boom?

Pug wrote:

Well, there's subsections in EE, but I don't search that way - I just hit "new posts"
Oh. I just go into the sections by clicking. Dilbert, I agree with you that more sections would probably bring spam.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6854|67.222.138.85
Read through the thread again, revisiting the topic after the enthusiasm has died down to more reasonable levels, what do you guys actually want to implement?

1 - Cut off 1 on 1 arguments and divert them to some other place to make OPs more accessible.

2 - A more stringent code of conduct than general site rules, specifying things like what contribution means in this section and what an OP should resemble.

3 - Stickies for the obviously broad topics.

4 - Maybe delete by editing the post with "post deleted, flame, -FM" or something to that effect, pretty iffy on this point.
pace51
Boom?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Read through the thread again, revisiting the topic after the enthusiasm has died down to more reasonable levels, what do you guys actually want to implement?

1 - Cut off 1 on 1 arguments and divert them to some other place to make OPs more accessible.

2 - A more stringent code of conduct than general site rules, specifying things like what contribution means in this section and what an OP should resemble.

4 - Maybe delete by editing the post with "post deleted, flame, -FM" or something to that effect, pretty iffy on this point.
I like 1 and two. However, what about extra mod supervision as well as stricter rules. Or... what about more sub-sections?
Flaming_Maniac
I don't think more subsections is going to happen.
tuckergustav
+1,590|6061|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't think more subsections is going to happen.
subsections not needed...
we just need to put a lid on the arguments that derail.  No finger pointing...just whoever is involved gets dealt with(i don't know how)

This way, even though the mods are gonna get shit for it...cuz they always do anyways..atleast it isn't blatant favoritism?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6802

AussieReaper wrote:

But you can avoid a subsection and avoid the spam... or even users much more easily.

I'd like to see a DST section that didn't involve the same arguments, and could just contain the tech/science topics which are generally SERIOUS TALK and not circular DEBATE.
This this this this.

It'd be nice to get some serious information I'm actually interested in and avoid the illegal immigration / homosexuality / Israel vs. Palestine bullshit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

1. nope censorship

2. nope censorship

3. nope 10,000 stickies

4.nope censorship

There is nothing wrong with this forum, it is different personalities with different opinions from all over the world. What happens here is to be expected, anything less wouldn't make this place worth coming to. This forum has flavor, and personality, why turn it into just another bland, flavorless forum full of all of the doldrums that goes along with forced pleasantries?

Leave the people here to say what they will, if not, what really is the point? In fact, if anyone here is so worried about this place or their internet feelings they probably have some real life issues they need to be dealing with.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

mtb0minime wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

This this this this.

It'd be nice to get some serious information I'm actually interested in and avoid the illegal immigration / homosexuality / Israel vs. Palestine bullshit.
then stay out of those threads or better yet, if you want serious information, stop seeking it in a gaming forum and do some real research.
Flaming_Maniac
How is any of that censorship?
pace51
Boom?

pace51 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I like 1 and two. However, what about extra mod supervision as well as stricter rules. Or... what about more sub-sections?
Will more mod supervision happen... because tat could help. Cutting off derailments quickly.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

How is cutting off people, codes of conduct to the point of stifling, or deletion, NOT censorship?
Flaming_Maniac
Cutting off people by directing them to a different, more appropriate thread.

Code of conduct to the point of, stop making bullshit posts.

Deletion is already done as it is. The only point there was making it more public. I don't hear you complain of censorship very often right now.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6802

lowing wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

This this this this.

then stay out of those threads or better yet, if you want serious information, stop seeking it in a gaming forum and do some real research.
Well I'm not really actively seeking it, I'd just like to come across interesting non-political articles that I wasn't previously aware of.

Nothing wrong with you guys debating politics and whatnot, but it'd be nice if the full scope of D&ST was brought back.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5505|London, England

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

How is cutting off people, codes of conduct to the point of stifling, or deletion, NOT censorship?
Because FM has a god complex and can't understand why people won't conform to what he wants them to be. For all his talk about freedom, in the end he's nothing more than Dilbert_X with a 'badge'.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Cutting off people by directing them to a different, more appropriate thread.

Code of conduct to the point of, stop making bullshit posts.

Deletion is already done as it is. The only point there was making it more public. I don't hear you complain of censorship very often right now.
yeah one that shields people that is not an open forum now is it?

bullshit posts is part of a forum no need to censor stupidity, it takes care of itself.

you have never heard me asking for censorship either, and if anyone in this forum had an argument for it, it would be me.

Also , no need to complain about it, you don't do it regarding those that post their anti lowing barrages.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

mtb0minime wrote:

lowing wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

This this this this.

Well I'm not really actively seeking it, I'd just like to come across interesting non-political articles that I wasn't previously aware of.

Nothing wrong with you guys debating politics and whatnot, but it'd be nice if the full scope of D&ST was brought back.
all ya gotta do is read what ya want, skip what ya don't want, ignore what ya hate and respond to what interests you ...not much more to it. No need to censor any of it.
Flaming_Maniac
No? Another thread in DST, or in this case maybe a subsection. Anyone could post, the point is not to make it ONLY those people it's to keep the OP as open to discussion as possible for people late to the party.

Apart from that if "stupidity takes care of itself" is your philosophy, I don't know what you're doing on BF2S, because that is not even close to site policy.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6802

lowing wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

lowing wrote:

all ya gotta do is read what ya want, skip what ya don't want, ignore what ya hate and respond to what interests you ...not much more to it. No need to censor any of it.
That's what I do, and I never said anything about censorship. Just a sub-forum or something like that would be nice. It'd be nice to not have to wade through the same 101 Palestine vs. Israel threads and find something about advances in science or whatever.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

No? Another thread in DST, or in this case maybe a subsection. Anyone could post, the point is not to make it ONLY those people it's to keep the OP as open to discussion as possible for people late to the party.

Apart from that if "stupidity takes care of itself" is your philosophy, I don't know what you're doing on BF2S, because that is not even close to site policy.
don't think for a second, EVERYONE would not go there for whatever free for all you opened up. Then you are going to have to start censoring that.

ouch, sorry ya think I am not a worthy poster in this forum....but what I was saying is, people that consistently engage in the sort of behavior you are so against, are not taken seriously anyway.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6799|USA

mtb0minime wrote:

lowing wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

That's what I do, and I never said anything about censorship. Just a sub-forum or something like that would be nice. It'd be nice to not have to wade through the same 101 Palestine vs. Israel threads and find something about advances in science or whatever.
DST is a subforum of the BF2S community. WHen that subforum gets hammered they will  stiffle that as well. WHat is the point?

Last edited by lowing (2010-06-04 11:32:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard