Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX
Its current events which kick off many DAST discussions.
Current events and historical events are inextricably linked, keep them together or don't bother.

Writing this sentence to make up the word count, nearly, nearly, there we are done
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
We did have a current events forum once. It died though, quickly.

EDIT: Though that may have been a more "personal" CE forum.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-01 00:49:02)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6817|Nårvei

Lack of common decency and respect for other members opinions is the biggest DST problem ... another issue is the lack of even trying to understand the opposing views, this goes both ways of course but is it really that hard to say I understand the reasons for your opinions even though we don't agree ...

It gets personal too fast ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia

Varegg wrote:

Lack of common decency and respect for other members opinions is the biggest DST problem ... another issue is the lack of even trying to understand the opposing views, this goes both ways of course but is it really that hard to say I understand the reasons for your opinions even though we don't agree ...

varegg, meet lowing. you try to get a point across to him and come back when you are done so we can discuss this further.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

Shahter wrote:

Varegg wrote:

varegg, meet lowing. you try to get a point across to him and come back when you are done so we can discuss this further.
Not necessary tbh.

I will say that lowing gets a lot of needless shit around here. I will admit that I did give him some... in the past. But really. That's all I'm gonna say on the topic.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Reciprocity
+721|6588|the dank(super) side of Oregon
decent topics get decent discussions, even when they stray a bit, they're still interesting.  you can only discuss Israel bla...bla...bla for so many pages before there's a natural shift.  crappy topics are either ignored or torn apart.  I don't think you could "fix" d&st without seriously compromising what makes it an entertaining and interesting place to visit.

Regulating the people who continually and blatantly ignore the existing rules would be a better bet.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia

Reciprocity wrote:

I don't think you could "fix" d&st without seriously compromising what makes it an entertaining and interesting place to visit
^this.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Thank you for the generally solid input.

Here are the main points that I think would get this going in the right direction.

1) Enforcement - We need more manpower to enforce a higher set of rules/more stringently enforce the rules that are already in place. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here but I'm working on it. I am unemployed for about another two weeks so I do have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment until the powers that be can be set in motion to put more people in place. Ultimately this is the second most important aspect behind member support.

2) Code of conduct - We need a set of rules specifically for this section, outlining in as much detail and clarity as possible what is acceptable and what isn't. I would much prefer that this be written by the regulars of the section and not by the staff (except obviously where the two intersect). If someone wants to make a topic for the discussion of this be my guest. There are a lot of ideas in this thread that should be seriously considered as well. I would say that it is important not just to talk about it though, someone needs to take it upon themselves to write a draft that can be a starting point to be edited to some degree and voted on.
I think these are the biggest issues right here. If there is some sort of '5-year'-esq plan, start here.

I've heard, somewhere, (from a mod i think) that "not many would want to stick their hand in the viper's nest that is D&ST"... at least i think I have (search turned up nothing... wrong phrasing, maybe).
If there were more mod action... excuse me, more visible mod action, that might even work enough to straighten out the line a bit...
The clear code of conduct would be like the big sign - read it and follow or go home, none of this "that's ambiguous" crap... so that means all mods would have to police the same fucking way, not 'they do it their way, i do it mine'...

blarg... brain... dying... 5am....
ok, enough musings.
EE (hats
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Agree with FM's main points and think it's great that someone's thinking somewhat strategically here.

One possible twist: for those topics that seem to be constants, as mentioned already (Islam, Israel, Obama): make stickies. We've tried "The Official _____ Thread" route before, but the thread gets lost as current events take over and new threads get created that should by rights go in the "official thread". A sticky would help mitigate that. And make moderation of those flame-prone topics easier, I would think.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6817|Nårvei

Shahter wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I have "battled" lowing for years Shahter ... he's a stubborn son of a %#¤& but who isn't when it comes down to it ... myself included ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Agree with FM's main points and think it's great that someone's thinking somewhat strategically here.

One possible twist: for those topics that seem to be constants, as mentioned already (Islam, Israel, Obama): make stickies. We've tried "The Official _____ Thread" route before, but the thread gets lost as current events take over and new threads get created that should by rights go in the "official thread". A sticky would help mitigate that. And make moderation of those flame-prone topics easier, I would think.
Sticky. Only option.
~ Richard Feynman
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia

Varegg wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I have "battled" lowing for years Shahter ... he's a stubborn son of a %#¤& but who isn't when it comes down to it ... myself included ...
of course you have - hell, i've been consuming enormous quantities of pop-corn watching that, man. now fm wants to take it all away.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Thank you for the generally solid input.

Here are the main points that I think would get this going in the right direction.

1) Enforcement - We need more manpower to enforce a higher set of rules/more stringently enforce the rules that are already in place. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here but I'm working on it. I am unemployed for about another two weeks so I do have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment until the powers that be can be set in motion to put more people in place. Ultimately this is the second most important aspect behind member support.

2) Code of conduct - We need a set of rules specifically for this section, outlining in as much detail and clarity as possible what is acceptable and what isn't. I would much prefer that this be written by the regulars of the section and not by the staff (except obviously where the two intersect). If someone wants to make a topic for the discussion of this be my guest. There are a lot of ideas in this thread that should be seriously considered as well. I would say that it is important not just to talk about it though, someone needs to take it upon themselves to write a draft that can be a starting point to be edited to some degree and voted on.

3) Conglomeration of frequent topics - At first when marine asked why all the other sections had a bunch of stickies and DAST didn't like it was a problem I thought it was pretty dumb. After a lot of people started talking about the repetition of topics though, maybe that would be a good idea. The thing that makes me unsure though is that DAST is unlike the other sections that lend themselves to the "XX Chat" idea better is that in DAST you have the two people going back and forth for pages and pages at times. This largely invalidates a Chat topic - it's stupid to have two people dominating a topic that is supposed to be about everything Obama for pages and pages, particularly when the debate inevitably devolves into several other points as well. Now I don't think carrying on in this manner should be discouraged in any way, it just presents a problem for making one thread for these topics.

So what if it were policy to make a completely new thread specifically for the back-and-forth to keep the main threads clean? What about just in general, make it practice to leave the original thread more or less intact so that people can "get a word in edgewise" about the OP without it being on page 6? I'm sure someone else can flesh it out a lot more, but this way it could make the (what are hopefully now higher quality) OPs more accessible.

4) Quality and Quantity of topics - BF2S is aging. It's far from dead, but there just aren't as many of us around anymore. The quality of the OP needs to increase yes, but that will largely be covered in the new code of conduct. We also need people to put themselves out there in making OPs more. Say what you want about our most inflammatory members but they give us something to do - if more reasonable members took the time to make a solid OP more often it makes the balancing act of maintaining some level of activity and keeping the quality of the activity up that much easier. I mean it shouldn't be thought of as homework, but contrary to what usmarine says if people used DAST as their blog a bit more things would be more interesting. No I do not want this section to become a big "girl-problems" thread but if some more people put their balls on the line and told us about their musings once in a blue moon it would be a welcome break from the rehashing of old topics that people complain about.
Bollocks. You're going to turn it into the retarded EE section. Fuck that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
You're the one, Galt, that complains when people come into a topic with an opinion that doesn't suit yours. Telling them to get the fuck out and all that stupid shit. The amount of shit people like lowing and ATG (and ruis) say, I still wouldn't tell them to go away.

FM's post was tl;dr for me

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-06-01 05:34:40)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

You're the one, Galt, that complains when people come into a topic with an opinion that doesn't suit yours. Telling them to get the fuck out and all that stupid shit. The amount of shit people like lowing and ATG (and ruis) say, I still wouldn't tell them to go away.

No, I don't care if people have dissenting opinions... as long as they know what they are talking about, aren't trying to be completely disrespectful like in the Memorial Day thread yesterday, and are actually making logical points instead of just pushing an ideology.

As for FMs post, the primary things I disagree with are merging topics and creating 'super topics' because I'm just not going to bother reading any thread longer than three pages. Why? Because most topics die after the third page.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6230|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

No, I don't care if people have dissenting opinions... as long as they know what they are talking about, aren't trying to be completely disrespectful like in the Memorial Day thread yesterday, and are actually making logical points instead of just pushing an ideology.
considering someone to be disrespectful and them trying to be disrespectful aren't the same thing. Being offended becasue someone is trying to offend you and being offended cos you THINK they're trying to offend you aren't the same thing.

The minute we start moaning cos we assume people are doing something they aren't you might as well not bother having a DAST.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Personal attack
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6230|teh FIN-land
Personal attack

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-06-01 06:02:43)

Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6007|Vortex Ring State
above 5 posts is the problem.

Galt started it by saying that it would turn in to EE without any justification or evidence that F_M would.

Then Mek made it personal by directly addressing Galt telling him that he needs to change his attitude.

Then the flame wars began.
nlsme1
+32|5425

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

As for FMs post, the primary things I disagree with are merging topics and creating 'super topics' because I'm just not going to bother reading any thread longer than three pages. Why? Because most topics die after the third page.
All you do is post on debates you are no expert on, you can be quite disrepectful, and all your posts are pushing YOUR ideolagy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Personal attack
-Frederick Bastiat
nlsme1
+32|5425

JohnG@lt wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

All you do is post on debates you are no expert on, you can be quite disrepectful, and all your posts are pushing YOUR ideolagy.
Sure, I disrespect idiots. If I've disrespected you, be less of an idiot
Was just pointing out you fall into the category of people you have a problem with. DS&T has NO place for personal insults.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

nlsme1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

Was just pointing out you fall into the category of people you have a problem with. DS&T has NO place for personal insults.
And who made you judge, jury and executioner? I'm not here to sit in some debate club with stringent rules and regulations. I'm here to discuss interesting topics and if insults end up getting thrown? That's life. A sterile environment, where people could express any opinion they want without worry of being insulted to the point of embarrassment for holding them, sounds like the most boring place in the world.

Besides, it's all a matter of perspective anyway. ruisleipa is clearly an anti-semite but if I mention that, I get called a troll. I feel I'm speaking the truth, he denies it, and who is to judge right or wrong? Do we really want FM standing in and awarding points to people for making a good argument? Sorry, but FM is half retarded and for all his airs, maintains the maturity of a teenager.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-06-01 06:26:03)

-Frederick Bastiat
nlsme1
+32|5425

JohnG@lt wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

And who made you judge, jury and executioner? I'm not here to sit in some debate club with stringent rules and regulations. I'm here to discuss interesting topics and if insults end up getting thrown? That's life. A sterile environment, where people could express any opinion they want without worry of being insulted to the point of embarrassment for holding them, sounds like the most boring place in the world.
This is DEBATE and SERIOUS TALK, not INSULT TO MY HEARTS CONTENT. Insults have NO place in this section. 

If you can't keep a level head, this forum is NOT for you.
If you can't keep a level head, this forum is NOT for you.

Gettit?
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
If you have to resort to personal attacks then tbh you've lost the debate. It just turns it into puerile tripe if they go unchecked.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard