Poll

Do You Consider Yourself A US citizen Or A Citizen Of Your State?

I identify more with National Citizenship86%86% - 33
I identify more with State/local Citizenship13%13% - 5
Total: 38
rdx-fx
+955|6595
Well, if we could sell off New York, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, and Florida - then 'American' wouldn't need qualification.

As it currently stands, the overinflated sense of entitlement and generally Orwellian nanny-state culture in California, Chicago, and New York makes it embarrassing to claim them as part of the same United States as the rest of us.

Unfortunately, we cannot divest ourselves of irresponsible over-indulgent non-self-sufficient states.  So, in that respect, the US Constitution is a suicide pact.  We have to keep those boat-anchor states, even if they're going to sink the country.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6134|North Tonawanda, NY

eleven bravo wrote:

commerce clause has been used to justify federal action since the begining.
Yes, but what about the feds using backdoor methods of pushing crap through, like the minimum drinking age?  Or why are the Feds so worried about abortion?  Medical marijuana?  Gay marriage?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
id love to get rid of alaska myself
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
I absolutely hate the south, kansas and oklahoma.  i was born in miami but that doesnt count.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom

SenorToenails wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

commerce clause has been used to justify federal action since the begining.
Yes, but what about the feds using backdoor methods of pushing crap through, like the minimum drinking age?  Or why are the Feds so worried about abortion?  Medical marijuana?  Gay marriage?
all these things have an effect on interstate commerce, so, according the constitution and rulings by the supreme court, the feds have the right to regulate.
Tu Stultus Es
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

goddamn burnzz and 11 you're the worst trolls ever just stfu and get on with the thread.

It's an interesting question, and especially for us Euros cos we don't have anywhere near the state-level affiliation you guys sometimes feel in the US. I guess the EU as it is now is vaguely similar if you consider euro countries to be state equivalents. I'd have to say I feel almost zero affiliation towards the EU as a political construct.
The EU isn't enough of a republic yet to have this feeling of the individual state versus the federal government, you could maybe say right now that the EU has bucket loads of state-level affiliation and zero with the federal EU shit if you want to though. Except Germans and other cooky European mainland folk. They just want their second European empire because all the other times they failed miserably.

I doubt the EU will ever turn into some sort of Republic of Europe or some shit like that. Eventually countries will start fighting each other again, you don't seriously think the most bloodiest and violent continent of the world in the history of the human race could actually suddenly stop and be best friends forever. Well hopefully not....
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
the EU will not survive.  guarenteed. no single confederation in history has withstood the test of time.
Tu Stultus Es
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6134|North Tonawanda, NY
To actually answer the question--I see myself as an American first.  I don't like New York State.  The government here panders to the city so the rest of the state gets ignored.  As far as I'm concerned, the city should be made into its own state.
rdx-fx
+955|6595

eleven bravo wrote:

id love to get rid of alaska myself
I'm from Alaska and Montana.

How about we just send Palin to California, then sell California to China to pay off the national debt?
I'll throw in Oprah and Chicago in as a bonus.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
rdx, you realize if the states you talked about were no longer part of the union, this country's economic power would probably more closely resemble that of portugal
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5362|London, England
B) I identify more with state citizenship. However, I happen to despise the state I live in. There's more chance for self determination and an ability to influence policy within your own state rather than at the federal level. Instead of being 1:300,000,000, I'm 1:19,000,000. Doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is.

I really wish the sectionalism in this country would amplify instead of recede. I'm really fucking tired of the Red Team/Blue Team garbage that has infected this country and made it so ridiculously retarded. So why amplify? Because I'd rather the country split up and each get their own way to finally show them that both of the paths they wish to tread are absofuckinglutely retarded and contrarian. Let the Dems have everything west of Kansas and the Republicans everything east of Kansas and finally put all this stupidity to rest.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
too many opinions in this thread, not enough facts.
Tu Stultus Es
Mekstizzle
WALKER

SenorToenails wrote:

To actually answer the question--I see myself as an American first.  I don't like New York State.  The government here panders to the city so the rest of the state gets ignored.  As far as I'm concerned, the city should be made into its own state.
And as far as the rest of the world is concerned: ''there's a state called New York? You mean the city... right?''
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

I'm a member of the Long Island Secession movement
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

And as far as the rest of the world is concerned: ''there's a state called New York? You mean the city... right?''
Yes, and New York City isn't even the capital of our state

https://www.health.state.ny.us/statistics/cancer/registry/nycounty_610x442.png

It's just the pink counties at the very bottom of the map.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-05-28 11:59:29)

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
there goes any future political career
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5590

Republic :a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Yes, and New York City isn't even the capital of our state
sheeeeeeeeit
13rin
+977|6483

eleven bravo wrote:

I absolutely hate the south, kansas and oklahoma.  i was born in miami but that doesnt count.
Self loathing there then... What's your problem with FL aside from the heavy Cuban immigration, millions of senior citizens driving 60 on the interstates, homo's of Key West, UF gaytors, horrendous mosquitoes, 500% humidity... -oh wait.  nevermind.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
my mom told me the reason she left miami when i was 6 months old was because of that humidity
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

there goes any future political career
Secession from New York State, not the country Albany is a cesspool.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-05-28 12:07:52)

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
im all for southern california seceding from the north.  northern cali is just southern oregon.
Tu Stultus Es
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6689|United States of America
"Nationalism will bring us victory!" -Chinese voice in Command & Conquer: Generals

SEREMAKER wrote:

American then Southerner
Bloody Southerners!

That being said, Indiana is usually a red state, and the elections often reflect that with Blue in only the urban counties or places there are universities, and I've been in those areas all my life as opposed to the rural hellholes.
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

State before country. Especially since VA beats almost everyone your sad shithole states in terms of fiscal soundness.
rdx-fx
+955|6595

eleven bravo wrote:

rdx, you realize if the states you talked about were no longer part of the union, this country's economic power would probably more closely resemble that of portugal
We're keeping Washington state (Microsoft, Boeing, etc), Texas and Alaska (oil and more oil), the core of the country (more oil, coal, farming, and ranching), and the vast majority of the states that contribute people to the military.

We're losing states with an inflated sense of entitlement, that are impossibly overrun with unsustainable urban sprawl.

I'm willing to trade a bit of economic clout, in exchange for making what's left completely self-sufficient and a net exporter of products

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard