stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

tF-afrojap wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, I do read each post, but don't have time to reply to all of them. Making progress but it's going slow, since 80% of the effort is going towards learning the tools and workarounds.. I could use a lot of help in the research side of things. If you have experience in modding/mapping even better. Having an experienced assistant would take a lot of the load off me, and I could concentrate at what I am good at.. modeling / texturing etc. Shoot me a PM or Xfire if you want to help out.
if you can texture in Photoshop, count me in
l41e
+677|6645

One thing: might want to put obstacles in to prevent some things, i.e. TOW sniping.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
im pretty sure its very hard to make tunnels aswell in the editor...
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
This is the first of many beta versions of the map.

Download (beta1)

Follow these steps to install the map.
1. Unzip the file
2. Once you have the operation_smoke_screen folder, locate the levels folder in your battlefield install.
A typical path for your levels folder would be
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Levels\
3. Copy the operation_smoke_screen folder into Levels

You're done!
To load the map, go to MULTIPLAYER, and click on create local. This build of the map will not work with single player mode.

I would like to get some focused feedback from this point forward. The map is full of glitches, and I am well aware of them, please refrain from reporting minor bugs at this point, there will be a time for that later. Right now I am only interested in the big picture. If you manage to join us in our weekly test sessions, ask yourselves a few questions after playing.
- Was it fun? (this is the most important one. And if not, why?)
- Is it balanced?
- Does the map have good flow?

As always, I appreciate your feedback. And a big thanks go out to the peeps who helped me out so far.
Home
Section.80
+447|6845|Seattle, Washington, USA

One question: If I add this map will I still be able to play on ranked servers and stuff? It won't mess up the punkbuster stuff, will it?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6767|AUS, Canberra

tF-afrojap wrote:

This is the first of many beta versions of the map.

Download (beta1)

Follow these steps to install the map.
1. Unzip the file
2. Once you have the operation_smoke_screen folder, locate the levels folder in your battlefield install.
A typical path for your levels folder would be
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Levels\
3. Copy the operation_smoke_screen folder into Levels

You're done!

I would like to get some focused feedback from this point forward. The map is full of glitches, and I am well aware of them, please refrain from reporting minor bugs at this point, there will be a time for that later. Right now I am only interested in the big picture. If you manage to join us in our weekly test sessions, ask yourselves a few questions after playing.
- Was it fun? (this is the most important one. And if not, why?)
- Is it balanced?
- Does the map have good flow?

As always, I appreciate your feedback. And a big thanks go out to the peeps who helped me out so far.
the game crashes after i load the map and it gets to the join game button.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6646|South Korea.

the_heart_attack wrote:

the game crashes after i load the map and it gets to the join game button.
Yeah, me too. I tried even setting up a local server but I get the same thing.
Crusty
+11|6775
going with the flow here. I crash as well.
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
Homeschtar: nope, you will be fine. If you do have issues, you can simply delete the folder off your drive.

For those who are crashing, try booting bf2 in windowed mode and load the map. It will crash, but will most likely give you an error message. Please post what kind of errors you are getting here.

To boot BF2 in windowed mode, make a new shortcut to your bf2.exe. Right click on the shortcut and click on properties. You will see a field called "Target". Add "+fullscreen 0" (without the ") to the end of the path. In my case it looks like "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +fullscreen 0
Hit ok and boot bf2 via shortcut.

Also let me know if you have any boosters/expansion installed, it will help me diagnose the problem. Thanks guys.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6646|South Korea.

tF-afrojap wrote:

Also let me know if you have any boosters/expansion installed, it will help me diagnose the problem. Thanks guys.
I cant do that right now, but I have Special Forces and Euro Force instaled, as well as a couple mods.

Last edited by Citizen One (2006-04-29 19:12:22)

Crusty
+11|6775
did it in windowd mode but no error popped up. it only crashes when i hit Join Game. Mine is a fresh install with the latest path and the Battleracer mod. but thats in a different folder and shouldnt effect it. i cant find an error log or anything. maybe if someone starts a server and runs it and checks the server log. dont know, but i reeeaallly want to play this map
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6725|Honolulu, HI
argh!  I was so raring to go and test out this cool new map, but these last few posts...they don't sound all that encouraging.  If I had the know-how to diagnose the problem causing the crashes, I'd SO de-bug this but unfortunately my techie know-how maxes out around the "installing RAM/downloading pr0n" level so I'll anxiously bow out and wait for somone more knowledgable to tackle this problem
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6789|Jupiter
Ok, i put it in the folder. Im still lost, i will try to join the server though, please give better instructions.
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
It's been working on our systems, and I know at least 6 other peeps had it working before we started  the games tonight. I can't identify the cause of this crash this moment, but will definitly look into it. Feel free to PM, Xfire me, and I will try to work out a solution with you.
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6579|Eastern USA
I'm one of a low amount of people that could get into the server when the map played. I have no clue what would be wrong .
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6767|AUS, Canberra
it doesnt give me any error message, the game just dissapears in windowed mode too.
ExtremeSpy506
Code Red Pro Sniper Guy
+45|6636|Olympus Mons, Mars
Make some ramps also.
}<enzai
+7|6570|UK
Yeah looks like an awesome idea!!
If only it would become a reality...:S
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6719|Oregon
okay, YOU HAVAE TO PLAY IT IN MULTIPLAYER....most maps, especially in ueber beta, are not playable in SP. go start a local server with the OSS map the only one in the rotation and itll work

the map looks awesome! i love the way you did the tunnels, gameplay will be intense down there. the above-ground section is cool...i think it would be better if there was some sparse cover in/around the street. i really want to see this skinned and modeled (esp the subway system)

i also noticed a few bugs, which i understand, but thought i would tell you about:
1: there seems to be a lip when coming out of the US spawn that you have to jump over...i think its where the TV_station ground meets with the ground of the map, but i could be wrong. also, on some of the buildings with the cobblestone foyers, the cobbled texture glitches and flashes and shit, but only when you are standing...it could be that the buildings are slightly (very slightly) above the ground-level and thats the problem.

great map, maybe we can see it on Gibson sometime soon for a group-test?
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6646|South Korea.
Ok so by now its obvious that some can, and some cant play the map, so can we at least have some screenshots?
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
Since I can't seem to re-create the crash on my end, I'm going to have the people who are crashing to help me test a few versions of the map. I have made 3 variations here, where I've deleted certain elements from the map to narrow down the possibilities of the crash.

Installation is the same as above.
When you download and unzip, you will see 3 zips. First, go to your levels folder and delete everything in the operation_smug_screen folder. Now unzip one of the three and copy the contents over to levels/operation_smug_screen. Test, quit and repeat with the other 2. Make sure you test one map at a time. Report back to this thread, or Xfire me.

Only download if you are crashing.

Thanks for your help.

Citizen One: I can take some screens and post them up, but there isn't much to look at this point. The eye candy will come later
Crusty
+11|6775
tried all 3 maps on all three sizes. still nothin. whats your setup afrojap or any of you that are getting it to run? like i said im pretty much a fresh install with the latest patch and the battleracer mod. though im thinkin about reinstalling just to get that variable out of the way.
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
Damn. It shouldn't have to do anything with settings, but I can't think of any other reason. You should post yours as well. Thanks for helping Crusty. +1

Video

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 2
VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 2
VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 2
VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 2
VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 2
VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 2
VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 2
VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 2
VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@75Hz
VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off
VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

Audio

AudioSettings.setVoipEnabled 1
AudioSettings.setVoipPlaybackVolume 1
AudioSettings.setVoipCaptureVolume 0.630649
AudioSettings.setVoipCaptureThreshold 0.1
AudioSettings.setVoipBoostEnabled 1
AudioSettings.setVoipUsePushToTalk 1
AudioSettings.setProvider "software"
AudioSettings.setSoundQuality "Medium"
AudioSettings.setEffectsVolume 0.443133
AudioSettings.setMusicVolume 0.33
AudioSettings.setHelpVoiceVolume 0
AudioSettings.setEnglishOnlyVoices 0
AudioSettings.setEnableEAX 1
tF-afrojap
+124|6844|SF
Some eairly screens. As you can see, I'm saving textuing for later.

https://www.k4zz.com/temp/screen027.jpg
https://www.k4zz.com/temp/screen028.jpg
https://www.k4zz.com/temp/screen029.jpg
https://www.k4zz.com/temp/screen030.jpg
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6744|The United Center
the texture on that gun looks really good, afro.  nice work so far.

i just moved so my computer isn't set up yet, nor is my internet.  once i get everything set up and can get online, i'll be more than happy to help you test out the map.  sorry to say, i've never done any sort of modelling, texturing, or map-making before, so i cant help you out there, but if you need anything else, just ask.  the tunnels and especially the entrances to the tunnels (with the turnstiles and all) look really cool.  i'm looking forward to playing this when i get a chance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard