imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
Okay still a newb.  But I am recently joining squads because I am a newb and didn't want to mess with a good squad by not doing my job, the best tactic for a newb in a squad I found out is be a grunt, get killed, run across the street first, moment later (if you are in a good squad) your team will take opponent out and revive you, that's a good Squad and a newb taking one for the team. But on the other hand I was in a squad and the leader was a freaking sniper...wtf.. not only did I give away his position by spawning on top of him but he was useless. Another time was with Spec Ops and did the revive me/revive you thing it worked until he went swimming.  My question, rant , is I was a leader of a squad for a minute, got scared and went lonely, what does it take to be sufficient, trust me there are ALOT of bad squads out there, more than good ones. I've heard have one medic, support, so on, but what else do I do? Shoot and Run??
shaunboulton
+1|6734
i am a squad leader alot, it helps if ya have a mic to speak to ya team, i tell them what todo and what they need.tell them to cover me, ask for medic, split our squad up and i shout at them to improve and push to total victory. sometimes i and my squad did the work and had more points the the whole team put together.
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6777
Yeah, use the teamspeak. I should've done that too...Instead I spent over 80 hours running around as a lone wolf not talking to anyone. If you feel the need to, tell your squadmembers that you're new to the game, most of them are very helpful. What you have to do in the game, you'll have to figure out for yourself. The longer you play, the more you find out. There are squads which do not do anything special, the members are spread all over the map, no teamspeak at all. And there are others which try to capture certain flags, defend control points etc. If no one in the squad demands a certain kit you should take (medic etc.), just take what you feel like. If you open the squad-screen (or the scoreboard, or simply look at your squadmembers...), you can see which kit they're using. So if they have everything but a medic, maybe you should take that kit to support your squad. But that's no duty at all. Just try every kit to see what fits you best right now. It took me some time to figure out how everything works, but the game is definitely worth sticking to, you'll see that there are a lot of interesting, funny and exciting things layed out for you

Last edited by LeGrandAssidomaen (2005-10-20 18:00:59)

IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6764|Canberra, Australia
Yep, if you are new, play a support roll, engineer, Medic, or Support.  assist the good players.

Sometimes it is important to have a plan.  Maybe be team leader and be support and get into the enemy base and hide.  Have a sqad mate who is a Spec ops guy and spawns on you to take out UAV and arty... you then resupply him for more stuff.  or maybe you also get a medic back there.....

Think of a plan and then get your sqad to impliment it.  a sqad can't work with out Microphones....  Get one!!!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

IronGeek wrote:

a sqad can't work with out Microphones....  Get one!!!
makes you wonder how they managed in like WWI/II when they didn't have personal comms...
Goose1123
I hate stupid people.
+0|6750|Illinois

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

IronGeek wrote:

makes you wonder how they managed in like WWI/II when they didn't have personal comms...
they yelled a lot
nayo450
+-1|6763
and hand signals
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill

Goose1123 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

IronGeek wrote:

they yelled a lot
Which worked over 10 or 100's of yards but not over 1000's of kms..
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6740|Canada, Ont
Two Assault (One Of Them Squad Leader), One Spec Ops, One Anti-Tank, One Medic, One Support.

Perfect Squad.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Two Assault (One Of Them Squad Leader), One Spec Ops, One Anti-Tank, One Medic, One Support.

Perfect Squad.
Depends on what you are working on...  Sometimes a few engineers would be good.....
pfcilng
+0|6737|Northern Illinois University
Anyone ever join a squad and find the Sl is a pilot, and doesnt give any orders out.  Or they give out orders, but they are for somethign you cant do (wrong kit) or on the opposite side of the map and they are not even going with you on that mission.  just me ranting.

Back to subject - a mic is vital, alot easier to yell out commands rather than type them.  As a Sl know the limitations of the squad, dont expect a three person squad with all medics to take out a armor asset.
SrA_Shady
Slimshady -- The Real Medic
+0|6734|Sumter, South Carolina
The day you get into a bad ass squad, you will absolutely fall in love with this game. Seriously.

It happened to my way back in the demo.  I got with a squad that said 'MICS ONLY'  It was so awesome becuase we all had headsets.  Since we were all talking it was so close to being there.  Seriously forget it was a game.  We all stayed together, moved from point to point as the leader told us.  It was so sick! hehe.  From what I remember, the leader was spec ops, and so was I, and we had a support guy, a medic and an AT with us.  It was so bitchin. lol have I made my point that I REALLY ENJOYED IT yet?
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6744|Hamburg, Germany
One more thing as a SL ppl can spawn on you only if you'e alive.
So stay alive don't be the first to run in front of the tank.

Last edited by Aruba-Prime (2005-10-21 01:24:57)

SrA_Shady
word.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6752|The Hague, Holland
In all my hours of gameplay I have never been with a good operating Squad . I wish I would ever meet 1..
SrA_Shady
Ghost, take down my player ID or name or something, look me up now and then, if you see me on we'll hook up ;p
The Soup Nazi
+18|6757|North Lauderdale, FL

Aruba-Prime wrote:

One more thing as a SL ppl can spawn on you only if you'e alive.
So stay alive don't be the first to run in front of the tank.
if you die as the squad leader and no one is around to revive you, leave your squad and rejoin it.  someone else who is still alive will become squad leader and you can spawn on them.

Last edited by The Soup Nazi (2005-10-21 04:21:42)

Goose1123
I hate stupid people.
+0|6750|Illinois

IronGeek wrote:

Goose1123 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

they yelled a lot
Which worked over 10 or 100's of yards but not over 1000's of kms..
perhaps they used megaphones
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp

SrA_Shady wrote:

Ghost, take down my player ID or name or something, look me up now and then, if you see me on we'll hook up ;p
alright will do , you have xfire?
SrA_Shady
No.. I need to do that
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp

SrA_Shady wrote:

No.. I need to do that
Then plz do, would be a hell of a lot easier
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6811|Missoula, MT
Add yourself to this sticky when you've got it! 

@ imdead
LOL, always funny when you find yourself SL and didn't realize it.  You'll be doing something "sneaky" and all of a sudden hear footsteps and turn around only to find SM's spawning on you!  I often find myself being SL and it's hard to fall back from the action to let your teammates get all the glory.  I'll charge right in usually ending up dead soon after.  Sorry guys, your mobile spawn point is gone!  It's really a discipline thing.  A good SL, IMO, should get to a good hiding spot, like the Commander, only close to enemy control points.  Making a good short run for his SM's to take the flags.  Just spotting and covering for the SM's would be more valuable to them than you charging in guns blazing and risking losing that spawn area.  Just keep at it and one day sooner than later, you'll be a great SL! 

Last edited by CMDR_Dave (2005-10-21 06:19:37)

imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
Thanks for input, was a SL last night and found myself running around and looking back with 4 guys following me, I didn't know the REAL leader quit, then all the sudden so did everyone else. I think a SL should be "behind enemy fire" because I found myself in middle of giving the "defend flag" order and then I was dead.  I'll leave it up to the pros until I run around with a good SL for awhile.
SrA_Shady
Im now on XFIRE , name cbass94

if ya lookin for a squad just come find me :

squad name is usually MICS ONLY and you'll almost always find me on karkand/sharqi servers... sometimes a wake or oman

If you come in and Im commanding (as I am trying to get my command badge) jump in a squad and follow my orders so I can get my badge and get back to medic'ing lol ;p
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6813|Bryan/College Station, TX
First let me post the link to the Defensive Strategy Guide I wrote a long while back:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=582

Lots of good tips on defensive roles but also gives you some insight on team play on a squad level.

Second let me repost something I said on Squad Leaders also a while back in the Complain section. However it does give some good points on Squad Leaders:  http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=931

For a long time now I have pressed upon people the importance of a good Squad Leader (SL) and how their positioning on the battlefield is one of the keys to victory and great games. How a SL needs to stay out of harms way so that their squad can spawn on them. That they need to get a decently safe forward position so that the pressure can be kept on a base or have the enemy eliminated.

I often play this role and very often my score reflects good SL tactics. Which to say its quite low considering the amount of time I have played. It really bothers me that good tactics are not rewarded in the game. At very least a good commander can get the benefit of having a score that reflects the role of the team. They have good scores then you have good scores. But when it comes to SL that concept goes out the window.

Here I lay in a concealed and safe location or elevated and watchful position, seeing my squad take yet another flag, kill some more guys while I spot enemy for them and on occasion I get to even take pot shots from a long distance. The flag is taken, they get the points for the kills and the captures. While here I lay getting nothing. Placing good orders to take locations, busting my ass to get into decent position, doing my duty as squad leader often taking heavily defended bases by simply playing the role the way the SL role should be played.

For once I would like to get something for doing it. Hell even some little tiny assist points would be nice to have. Alas the price I pay for playing smart.
Lastly this another of my posts on Squad Leaders and the Usage of VOIP or Teamspeak Mics:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=518

Absolutely. A good well balanced squad who works together is a great asset to any team. Add mics to that and you are down right deadly. More times than I can count I have spoted enemy coming in from the flank and told my squad over mic. I'm sure the enemy is quite surprised when 3 or 4 guys suddenly turn their direction and shoot them dead. Or when a Spec Op tries to C4 a vehicle and the rear guard warns the driver who leaps out and surives only to run around the vehicle and kill the Spec Ops before the secondary explosion. This is one of the reasons Clans are so effective when they aren't constantly stealing Helicopters and doing none stop Rapehawking or Attack Chopper runs.

Now as for best class to be when a Squad Leaders that is actually a hard call because much depends on the situation and the mission you are performing.

Many say that Medic is the best class to be as SL however it really depends on your situation. If you are going into battle with your squad and people drop then yes being a medic kit would be invaluable. Or if you are in a Transport chopper and people are spawning on you then perhaps healing them mid flight might be a good thing. However if you plan on staying in a hidden location for a prolong squad offensive against an area then another kit may be helpful.  For example, if your squad is going to be going into a location where you know there are plenty of vehicles to take out and your squad is a good percentage of Anti-Tank. Then it might be better to play a Support Kit so that you can rearm your squad as they shoot Rocket after Rocket towards vehicles. Sometimes however your squad doesn't have any AT so you may take up the role just in case you run into some armor or a vehicle. Other times you may be in a primary cover role in which all you do is spot enemy (if the commander isn't doing it for you) and you are picking off people in hiding for your squad. This may be the job for a Sniper or a Spec Ops.  Or perhaps your squad is moving about in APCs or vehicles alot taking forward bases or base hopping. In this case it might be best if your kit is Engineer so you can heal the vehicles in your squad.

So many people may think that one kit is better than another as Squad Leader. I disagree.
The best kit ot play is the best kit for the situation. The best Squad Leaders are ones that are observant, your their heads and maintain a good tactical position either defensive or offensive in nature.

A bad squad leader is constantly charging into battle without any regard for their squad or themselves, or they are flying a single seat jet, or they are doing some other insane or inane crap that does nothing to help their squad. If you want to do this then please please lock your squad. Then you can do whatever the hell you feel like without having to worry about people joining your squad and getting pissed off.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard