kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX
This Guide is based upon my experiences within BF2 and is my advice and opinion.

Before you read this please repeat after me:  Being on Defense is not a Bad thing.
If you agree with that statement then please continue reading.

In Battlefield 2 the role of Defense is often highly underrated. For many the role of defense is often the wicked step child in online war games. In this I disagree. There are many different reasons why players do not want to defend captured flags. Some clutch onto their CTF experience and believe that defending is Flag Camping and so look down upon it. Others believe that defending is simply too boring and hence never do it. Others enjoy the offensive capacity much more than the defending ability and hence don't do it. And still others want more points and hence don't defend because the points are less forthcoming. Regardless of the reason people don't defend the main point is still that many don't defend.

Defense is a major role in strategy within the real world military as well as in online war games. A good offensive is useless without at least a moderate defense. Though the flow of the game is quite a bit faster than the real world and hence tactics are modified due to the pace. I hope to include certain strategies that I feel should be practiced in order to achieve a winning and solid game. In the following I am assuming there is a Squad structure and that this squad structure is followed. However even in a weakened state of structure as long as even a small group are following these methods there should be a noticeable increase in wins for that team.

Offense and Defense go hand in hand

The common practice should always be to defend the areas where the most likely counterattack will take place or hold the most important strategic value. Obviously bases that are not able to be captured do not play into this but truthful should hold at least a small defense team to prevent Spec Ops from destroying Commander assets or to stop the random spawn raper.

The ideal strategy on the battlefield would be to have an offensive team of one or two squads who would attack a location while a third squad would defend the closest captured flag or the last captured flag they took. These two locations would be the most logical location of a counter attack. The benefits of defending these locations is to provide your units with a closer base of operations. Hence if the offensive attack fails then they can launch another offensive from a close location therefore keeping the pressure on the enemy that is needed to keep them at their location. Forcing your enemy into a hurried counter attack with damaged vehicles or men or routing them is better than letting them orchestrate a planned assault. In this strategy the defense of the last captured flag is a very important one. It will usually ensure your victory on the next enemy location.  A good way to ensure that everyone gets action would be to have one squad take a flag and capture it. They would then hold it until the second squad comes in and reinforces them. Then after a bit of healing and resupply the second squad would attack the next flag while the first squad remains in defense. Two or three squads moving in this fashion, alternating the offensive role, would not only give everyone points but also ensure that the recently taken flag is defended against a counter attack.

Not all Flag points warrant Defense

An important note to state is that not all locations should be defended. Only locations that are most likely to experience a counter attack or hold an important strategic value should be defended. These location include those closest to enemy positions or bases that hold key vehicles such as aircraft or a decent assortment of armor and vehicles. As there are no real choke hold points based upon geography in BF2 I can't seriously comment on base importance dependent upon geographical locations. However I can say that on certain maps elevation is very important in the role of spotting enemy. Giving your team forewarning of incoming enemy is always useful.

As I stated not all locations should be defended. A watchful commander who is doing their job will notice troops attempting to move around the map and take locations that are not defended. There should always be a mobile squad that is in place for just this circumstance. When the enemy is noticed moving to a undefended location the commander would spot them and then order a squad to defend or move to that location. It might only be for a few minutes to take out two guys in a jeep but its still a necessary tactic on the battlefield. Another obvious possibility would be to spawn at the location of that base and defend it. You can then make your way to the front-lines again when it is secure.

The Defense of a Flag

After many hours in the role of defense on many maps and in many flag locations I have come up with a few basic strategies that should help in the more secure defense of a flag location. Each location has it's own flair and key defensive locations. Not all are able to be defended effectively with just one squad but some can easily be defended with only a handful of players. First note where all the possible entry points are. This includes fences that have breakaway portions for infantry entrance, large openings where vehicles can pass through and roads leading to the flag location. Next determine where all vehicles spawn, where each MG, TOW or SAM location is. These are important to note so that you can quickly man them if need be. Lastly of course know where the flag is and how to get to it.

Defenders should not be huddled together in a single mass. This goes for being outside, on top of buildings or within buildings. This will make your squad more susceptible to ambush, grenade and artillery attack. The most protected and hidden member of the squad should always be the Squad Leader. Everyone else is expendable and can remain in higher risk locations. In the event that the base is taken the squad can then spawn on the Squad Leader and launch an immediate counter attack. This will often surprise the enemy and result in your squad recapturing the flag.

All coordinate directions from which the enemy can approach should be watched from an elevated position if possible or a hidden ground position. There should exist a good spread of Anti-Infantry and Anti-Vehicle roles as both will always appear. The Anti-Tank class is preferred but an Engineer or Spec Ops is a good secondary. If you are defending without some kind of Anti-Vehicle class and there is not a good TOW installation then your defense will probably fail. If good TOW and Machine gun posts exist then someone should be close by them. A strategically placed FAV/HUMVEE/APC can also fill the roll of a stationary defense platform.

Those on the perimeter should keep an eye out and Manually Spot ALL enemy infantry and vehicles immediately before dealing with them. This can be achieved by placing your aiming retinal on the enemy unit/vehicle, pressing the Q key and clicking Spotting. This way your team defending can react accordingly. There is no excuse for a vehicle to come rolling in with only one or two people on the defending team knowing about it. Spot the enemy FIRST and then move to act against them. This is practice that must be used for an effective and proactive defense.

Do not be afraid to change classes. If you feel that situation calls for more Anti-Tank then if you happen to die re-spawn as an Anti-Tank. If the situation calls for Assault or something else then re-spawn with that class. Do not forget that you can change classes as needed. This strategy has often broken the back of a solid enemy offense.

These are basic military strategies show in a basic form within the game. They are what I practice whenever possible and I hope these words serve as a good learning tool for those that are new to the game or the defensive role. I welcome any feedback on this and will add more to it as I see or read other good strategies.

Just know that the folly in all of this is the human element as it always is.

Cheers.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-08-15 04:45:55)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Freak Went Flier
+0|6840|Atlanta
Nice post.  You put alot of thought into it.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
Many Thanks.

Always looking for other Strategic players to offer their own advice to good defense. I encourage good players to share their knowledge to promote other good players.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6838|Cologne, Germany

very good work indeed, m8.

I like defending a CP, especially on city maps, where controlling the majority of CP's won't help your team much anyway. a good defense, though, can cost your enemy a lot of tickets.
asmodai
+0|6827|The Netherlands

kilroy0097 wrote:

Those on the perimeter should keep an eye out and Manually Spot ALL enemy infantry and vehicles immediately before dealing with them. This can be achieved by placing your aiming retinal on the enemy unit/vehicle, pressing the Q key and clicking Spotting. This way your team defending can react accordingly. There is no excuse for a vehicle to come rolling in with only one or two people on the defending team knowing about it. Spot the enemy FIRST and then move to act against them. This is practice that must be used for an effective and proactive defense.
Spotting also gives me a fair chance against planes before they come near me.  Helicopters are way easier to lock down and hit than airplanes.

Do not be afraid to change classes. If you feel that situation calls for more Anti-Tank then if you happen to die re-spawn as an Anti-Tank. If the situation calls for Assault or something else then re-spawn with that class. Do not forget that you can change classes as needed. This strategy has often broken the back of a solid enemy offense.
Now this is something a lot of people don't seem to understand.
One of the things I look for is to see how many medics the team has.  If there's too few or none at all I will make sure to take the medic kit.  Saving a few tickets can typically mean the difference in the end result.  On heavy vehicle using maps switching to the anti-tank kit can really help out.  Or placing some AT mines as engineer.

These are basic military strategies show in a basic form within the game. They are what I practice whenever possible and I hope these words serve as a good learning tool for those that are new to the game or the defensive role. I welcome any feedback on this and will add more to it as I see or read other good strategies.
Read Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Guess I was just raised on warfare, even being a pacifist myself.  My dad was a big 'fan' of the second world war, having tons of books, models, toy soldiers, etc, etc.  Learnt a lot from that.  And of course, table top wargaming such as Warhammer (40000) also broadens the mind (many generals and military leaders used these sort of games to practise their strategic insight in the days of yore).
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
Thanks B.Schuss and asmodai.

Quote from asmodai  -  Read Sun Tzu's Art of War.    Guess I was just raised on warfare, even being a pacifist myself.  My dad was a big 'fan' of the second world war, having tons of books, models, toy soldiers, etc, etc.  Learnt a lot from that.  And of course, table top wargaming such as Warhammer (40000) also broadens the mind (many generals and military leaders used these sort of games to practise their strategic insight in the days of yore).
I have indeed read Sun Tzu's Art of War. Though it is a good read honestly it's quite hard to grasp the concepts that are illustrated when one does not have real strategic military experience. I myself am an enthusiast on some wars and history in general. Coffee Table books, textbooks and models are plentiful. As for playing minis I've played a couple of games of Warhammer 40K but mainly I stick to box games. Still trying to get a group of people together for Empire in Arms. Also was a big fan of Squad Leader and Panzer. I'm a huge boardgame player and my bookshelves are littered with many many boxes. So needless to say I very much appreciate strategy. I just wish I could get with a group that I could play with on a regular basis that also enjoyed strategy over points and kills.

On Strike at Karkand I have spent many many rounds simply guarding the top left or top right bases as MEC or assaulting them as USMC. I don't like to participate in the pointless carnage that exists at the front flag. Not really a challenge for me. I have also gotten in the habit of creating a Custom squad called TEAMWORK when I can't seem to find a decent squad. Basically if the squad members who join show promise and work together then they stay and we often command the sway of the game. If they don't like teamwork then they get kicked. Sometimes some good people join up but most of the time its some lonewolf in disguise or they get bored too quick or else I am alone in the squad for the entire round. Oh well..

Anyways thanks for the comments folks. Once again always looking for good defensive strategy. If you have anything to add then please comment and if its good I'll give it it's own section in the guide above.

Cheers.
aculle01
+0|6824
good post, very interesting read.  Though I do find it difficult to find a squad let alone a whole team to play as a cohesive unit, but I guess that would be tough on the public servers.  Great job though, Kilroy
Fubar/fox
Sponcered by belgium beer
+4|6822|Belgium
Well theire is one tactic that is ass simple as it is effectif its called flanking
example : if your in a 4 vs 4 situation 2 draw the attention of the 4 defenders and the other to (without being spotted ) work theire way to theire flaks/ sides
of course defending against it is also simple gard you flaks what manny people forget the usualy just join with the 4 defenders to shoot the 2 drawing attention.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
Request Admin/Moderator to Move this Sticky to Chatter as its probably a better place for it.

Cheers,
Kilroy0097
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6845|San Francisco

kilroy0097 wrote:

Request Admin/Moderator to Move this Sticky to Chatter as its probably a better place for it.

Cheers,
Kilroy0097
Agreed and done.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

This thread is so awesome it goes in the Featured Posts section. Good job!
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6817
It's nice and all, unfortunately the chances of that many people doing it on any normal game are 0 to 1, unless it's your entire clan or something.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6838|Missoula, MT
Nicely done Kilroy.
=|Q-BRT|=
+6|6840|[GER]_BERLIN
Thx 4 the guide.
maybe more players will start playing tactical and stop focusing on the points. i realy would like that.
i guess i should try out an unreanked server agein... yep, will do this now

cheers
theleg
+0|6778
Hey thanks for getting that info out there. There are some people that play this game that cause trouble for others and are just selfish. i.e. jumping in from of your tank and punishing you to get you booted or punishing you for running over your mine. Its nice to see that there are people out there that think strategicly and realize that yeah you do want to get points to get promo's and so on but the game is also about playing as a team and working together in a common goal.....WINNING....
FunKz
+1|6778|Melbourne, Australia
Its sooooo anoying when it seems like your the only one defending.......like no one else cares that the teams about to lose.......as long as they get they're points. What servers do people who employ teamwork actually play on?
bruisehound
+14|6777
STRATEGIC PLAYERS UNITE!!!

In response to FunKz, I suggest there are few, or maybe even no such servers. Instead of looking for them, let's make them by sheer force of attendance.

I suggest that those of us who are teamwork & strategy oriented tell eachother about the servers we habitually play on, play on them frequently, and encourage other like-minded players to play there. Although there will always be the selfish on these servers, over time we will be able to expect that there will be at least a few strategy-oriented allies or opponents in these places.

Furthermore, if we commonly use certain squad names, like TEAMWORK (kilroy's), or ONEFORALL (my idea) it will become easy to identify one another in game.

Although I'm not a huge player (3-5 hours a week is my norm), I'll name one server I frequently play on, and I'll try to play on it - and the ones you name - more frequently in the hopes of finding cool people like yourselves.

Hardfought # 1. 70.86.47.138 (16567) It plays Karkand, Sharqi, Mashtuur, Oman, and Wake Island, and generally doesn't lag. Ranked.

See you in the game.

-bruisehound

PS: props to Kilroy for starting this thread

"...those that assume the risk of an even battle have no assurance of victory" Procopius of Caesarea, History of the Wars

Last edited by bruisehound (2005-10-12 14:29:59)

kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
Thanks for the kinds words. And yes indeed teamwork players should unite and enjoy some good ole squad tactics. Look forward to seeing you online sometime.

Cheers.
=GC=Winter_Lion
+0|6809|Washington state
To all you troopers that posted above and were serious about your search for a team to play with, this note is in response to your stated objectives.

What you seek is the way we play at Global Conflict site. We have two ranked servers, teamspeak server and insist on team play in our bi-weekly campaign style tournaments. Beyond that, our core group of serious and mature troopers will even muster on teamspeak and go as a team when playing on public servers with the pubbies, smackies and lone wolves.

We used to call it Pub rat hunting, back when we played BF42. Now, we mostly play on our servers, but have squad rooms labeled for our members to muster in on the battleserver. A great game with your buds, a frustrating way to spend your spare time otherwise.

It is a brotherhood that has been playing together for nigh on three years now and we welcome all serious fighters, new or old war horses, all ages, as long as you want to play as a team with tactical and strategic game play and a willingness to teach or learn.

No cost to play or be a member at our website of 3000 registered users. We ask members to contribute ten or fifteen bucks every quarter to cover hardware leasing, and doing so makes you vote eligible in all game related decisions on our gamesite. But contributing is not mandatory or even expected of most of our players.

Come check us out when you finally get too mad to go back to the Pubs, you won't be disapointed.
Our teamspeak url is posted on our home page, lower left side. Log on to teamspeak and spend an hour playing with us or register at our site and join an army for the current campaign tourney. It's all good!

Winter Lion
Site Admin
[url]Global-Conflict.org[/url]
jax
+12|6765
teamwork yeaaaaaaa! i hate it when you die you look at the map and all of your team are still going head on when 2 of your flags that were just yours have turned white
Bulldozer
+0|6742|Stockholm
Good work!

OT
Do you guys know any good european servers where there is GOOD teramwork and squads are filled and orders followed?

/OT

/ BDZR

Edit: Spellcheck

Last edited by Bulldozer (2005-11-08 07:30:42)

blacksheepcannibal
+24|6749
The Art of War is good, but especially the book "The Art of War and Modern Warfare". gives great examples on Sun Tzu's fundamentals, along with a good explanation of how it applies in a real world battle. Overlooks battles from Hannibal to Revolutionary to Civil to the Great Wars, Vietnam, and Desert Storm. Also, Lao Tzu, Wu Tzu, Five Secret Teachings, the Suu-ma, and Questions and Replys are all good books for strategy. also any books you can pick up on the afgan battles during the mid 80's show how a small force can overtake a larger, better equipped force.

But on past book reviews.

I think the best way to apply strategy in the game is through the implementation of 3 squads. if you have less than 3 squads, then you simply dont have the manpower to effectively strategize anywhere past "well, my one good squad take this point...". This also assumes that each squad is 3-5 members, hopefully 6 for the main assualt squad. also, there should be a few lone wolf snipers, spec ops, and pilots, both armor and aircraft.

dependant upon map, the main basis of the squads should be: Assault squad, defense squad, support squad.

The Assault squad should be a fast moving squad based entirely on capping enemy flags. Assault (obviously) as well as Support and Medic should be the mainstays. I wouldnt emphasize Anti-tank or Spec-Ops, and definetely not sniper for this squad, as this squad should be mobile, especially IFV/APC vehicles, as they give the greatest speed at the highest protection. Engineers would be useful, but not in all situations. Remember, Fast and Lethal are your modus operanti.

The Defense squad should be Support, Anti-Tank, Spec Ops mainstays. Assault is okay, but Support is probably better because there will be less running-and-gunning and more firing from a defensive, probably prone position. Anti-Tank is a MUST, because preference for vehicles should go to the Assault Squad. If there is a vehicle for the Defensive squad, it should be something light and fast. Speed is good for getting between defensive points; a small, fast defense is better than a large, slow one. defensive squad should be the largest squad, because it might be good to break it up into two mini-squads for better defense across multiple points. Firepower and Defense are your modus operanti.

The Support Squad should be Support, Engineer, Sniper, Spec-Ops mainstays. Assualt is not really needed in this area, and Medics should stay with the assualt/defensive core. These are the guys that are gonna be the backup to support a flag that refuses to be taken, or a flag that is under heavy assault. they should meet up with the other two squads periodicly. Vehicles are also another mainstay of the Support Squad; Bombers, Heavy Armor, and Attack Choppers are great, but when they are all in the same squad they work better (how many times have you seen 2 or 3 tanks rolling together with an APC, and thought "im not messin with those fellows, ill just hide until they pass"? exactly.
Utility and Firepower are your modus operanti.

Bear in mind that these squads dont have to work independant on each other. keep the support squad, well, supporting the assualt when they are on the assualt; when the assualt class is defending until the defensive squad can move up, have the support group cover the defensive class's speed move.

Most important is to use these 3 in conjuction; never have any two sitting around recovering. Hit them hard, hit them fast, then move up to defend quickly. Also, remember, if you are in contact with the squad leaders, you can transform your squads. if you control all the flags, you dont need an assault group. if you control no flags, two assualt groups works, and an assault group can defend in a jiffy. if you can maintain these squads, use them properly, and know the best strategy for a map, you will be nigh undefeatable.

as for the best strategy for a map....well, that depends on the map. karkand US is all about the attack on the rear bases with the assault squad, Oman is all about keeping the beachhead, Shraqi MEC is all about pushing them back, and Shraqi US is all about keeping the observation lookout and the construction yard.

perhaps i should do another post on map-by-map intel...
Frappy
+0|6693|Cheshire, UK
I have developed a love for defensive play, or rather switching to defensive play once flag dominance has been established. I think that is the key reason why unlike my early days of playing when my win:loss ratio was exactly 1:1 (yes, I have kept the same account from when I was a BF2 noob, so I'm still fighting to cancel out the early losses) I now win much more than I lose. Your score keeps ticking up, you die less, and you win more maps - who wouldn't want that? It's teamwork, it's strategy, it's winning!

All that about teamwork said... there are few things as satisfying as this: You are the last defender on a flag and a swarm of enemies descends onto it, you're concealed and wait for the moment when both attacking APC and jeep are on the flag and tap your already planted hidden C4, killing so many that the top left is filled with your name and middle left says defended flag! But you've seen that some infantry survived, so you sprint towards, throwing hand grenades. One was a squad leader or was switched to squad leader by the dead enemies, and you kill two more enemies with your nades. All out of C4 and nades, and there's still enemies, you go steaming in with submachine gun, kill two, pull out your pistol and tap the last one, that elusive squad leader, right in the head. You turn the flag back to friendly if you didn't do all that quick enough, then look around the mass of dropped kits for spec-ops (quickest way) or support (to restock your old kit) and start over!

Last edited by Frappy (2005-12-27 22:24:05)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

When Commander, I constantly try to get a squad to defend while the rest attack. No-one wants to do it, they just say yes, and then do their own thing.

What I do then, if I'm Commander, is alsays travel to the point which will possible be captured, and hide and command from there. From my outlook, I can then see potential threats, and prepare for defending against it since no-one else wants to. It's an unappreciated job, but helps you win rounds.

Snipers are good defenders. As a Sniper I have often chose a cosy little nook that can overlook a couple of spawn points. If the points are friendly, I can spot and kill backdoor-technicians who want to subtly take our points. If they are enemy, I have a grand old time shooting them to Hell. Best of both worlds. Sniping rules.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
[SDEM]vispinger
+0|6683|The Netherlands
I'll tell you this, this thread is the one (ok, ok, with together with [url=http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=6948]this one[/url] ) that made me register for the forums at bf2s.com, I used to just lurk & hang around mostly for the stats and news and saw no need to register.

This thread is all about the way I would like to play BF2. Only too often I'm in a squad of loners, everybody runs everywhere doing everything... Just sometimes I end up in a squad that really works together, and the game gets really good from then. So from now on, I'll be looking for your online status people when I want to play a good game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard