destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada
Alright my multi-national BF2s,

I am going to France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, and the Netherlands for the month of August, and I'm in the planning stages now.

Im big on Architecture, Arts, and WW2.

Anything that I HAVE to see? Anything I shouldnt waste time on?

Big Karma and e-hugs to helpers.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
school trip?
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada
nope, personal vacation
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
take one of these:

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/mechanix202/Michelle_Trachtenberg6.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
France; Paris, and try and eat in a little side-street somewhere, the foods more genuine than the touristy bits. Also the usual stuff, Eiffel tower, Arc de T, Mona Lisa etc etc. If you get chance go to the southern end of France - Biarritz in particular. And the Loire valley. fuck i love france.

Try and get a battlefield tour around normandy for the beaches + such, and some of the WWI and WWII war graves are inspiring. This sort of history is also shared with belgium.

Belgium; You HAVE to go and watch a Menin gate procession, and again more WWI and II (mostly I). Theres a huge monument in the middle of nowhere covered with names of the missing, but its name escapes me.

Germany; The border with france is literred with old defences from both sides, worth a look. Berlin, obviously is full of stuff. Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, Memorial to the Murdered jews of Europe, Russian War Memorial etc. you could spend weeks exploring Berlin. make sure to have a currywurst Also while in Berlin go check out the pre-wwii Olympic stadium. Cities like Hamburg and Munich will take days to explore, and are worth it. Also, get to here if you can.

Switzerland; punch shifty in the cunt. After that just marvel at how clean everything is

Netherlands, i'm sure ghetto and co can help you with this one.

Last edited by FatherTed (2010-05-03 18:37:09)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
While I'm not an expert on international travel, those who are would require info on your budget, how much time you have and how many companions you're bringing to be able to make good recommendations.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
go wander the Bois Jacques forest in Belgium.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
france is amazing. the culture, the atmosphere, the sights... not so much the people. french people have historically and intellectually done amazing things, but your average frenchman is a cunt. havent been to germany, going there this summer- want to see berlin and be typically tourist. it's the home of my electronic music love and the cities there look fucking immense. switzerland looks nice too, although i imagine the people are pretty fucking annoying, if the international students i have met are anything to go by.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
germany is unreal, switzerland is nice...but very 'average'. nothing to really set it apart.

also frenchies are only cunts to the english

Last edited by FatherTed (2010-05-03 19:08:45)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada

FatherTed wrote:

germany is unreal, switzerland is nice...but very 'average'. nothing to really set it apart.

also frenchies are only cunts to the english
Lol well Im only going to switzerland bc I have family there.

And I fear they will be bigger cunts to me than the english bc I speak québécois french...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Paris:
Pompidou centre - maybe
Musee Rodin
Elysee Palace
Louvre.
Notre Dame and surroundings
Hotel de Ville
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
@ op berlin - fernsehrturm is a must.

edit, and sachsenhausen. iirc thats like a 40min train ride from Berlin

1 month is enough time to scratch the surface in either france, or germany not both you're going to be very busy

Last edited by FatherTed (2010-05-03 19:19:54)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
it's okay cause camus is my homeboy and he's a piednoir

Last edited by Uzique (2010-05-03 19:38:10)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
cleaning thread at request of OP
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6482|Gold Coast
This makes me want to go back to Europe without the hassle of my family.

In Berlin they have walking tours, which cover different aspects. Theres a free walking tour which covers WWII-Cold War (although they ask for donations at the end, but its well worth giving them quite a bit. My walking tour guide was awesome, everything was detailed and it was a really good experience overall), a WWII walking tour which I think is 10 Euros if my memory serves me right (dont quote me on this), and then a Cold War specific walking tour, which I think is the same price as the WWII tour.

Also, if you're wandering Berlin, get a Konig Kebab from the shop on the corner of Auguststrasse and Oranienburgerstrasse. SO.DAMN.GOOD.
e: For clarity, its the shop close to the carpark, on the northwestern corner of it.

Last edited by KuSTaV (2010-05-03 22:14:46)

noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
thats a point, kebabs in berlin are generally awesome. germanys had an issue with immigration from turkey, and as a result theres tons of the little shops everywhere all in competition with each other.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

WW2? In that case http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/

If you're into Alien, go check out http://www.hrgigermuseum.com/ in Switzerland.
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6383|Belgium

FatherTed wrote:

Belgium;Theres a huge monument in the middle of nowhere covered with names of the missing, but its name escapes me.
You mean Tyne Cot cemetery at Passendale?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Belgium;Theres a huge monument in the middle of nowhere covered with names of the missing, but its name escapes me.
Been there. Recommend it. A major "Ho-lee Shit." moment coming across that.

Definitely go to Ypres in Belgium. Great chocolate shop there. Was when I was last there anyway, (2004.) Awesome museum too, called "In Flanders Fields" museum. It's more for WW1 but is still pretty incredible. They still play The Last Post and have a ceremony at the Menin Gate every night.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

it was towards the end of a very long day... is it the reddish arch that must be like 40m high if not more?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Anything I shouldnt waste time on?
Belgium.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

CameronPoe wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Belgium.
Menin gate + an afternoon sat in Ypres square eating chocolate and drinking coffee is worth doing
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada

FatherTed wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Belgium.
Menin gate + an afternoon sat in Ypres square eating chocolate and drinking coffee is worth doing
Cant say that sounds like a bad time lol

except maybe some beer and sausages
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

destruktion_6143 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Belgium.

they do beer and sausages too where-ever you go in North Europe, there is ALWAYS beer and sausages.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6597|Canada

FatherTed wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

they do beer and sausages too where-ever you go in North Europe, there is ALWAYS beer and sausages.
hahaha I'll make sure to try as many kinds as possible

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard