• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 4th-generation iPhone revealed, has front-facing camera & more
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Right now they're saying it's a prototype. The model definitely seems more blocky. It's a fine design, it just doesn't seem very "Apple." It definitely looks sturdy though. I just hope that the production model won't have all those seams... some are theorizing that they're for easy access to the internals by the engineers.

What's new (from Gizmodo)

• Front-facing video chat camera
• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
• Camera flash
• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
• Split buttons for volume
• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed
• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Wow, that's a big scoop on apple.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
Hmm, from that short vid I quite like the look of it.
Any idea on a release date?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6167|Sydney | ♥

interesting.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6660

Looks similar to the Zune.

So, is Job's gonna do the Al Capone, holding a bat, walk around the table and ask everyone to show their prototype iPod?

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-04-19 18:08:29)

jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

yawn

edit: except for front facing camera

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-04-19 18:08:47)

Stimey
­
+786|6113|Ontario | Canada
time to trade in my 3Gs
­
­
­
­
­
­
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Looks extremely cool, hopefully they'll update the iPod Touch 4th generation to something similar for those of us like me that can't afford to pay the ridiculous Steve Jobs premium on their phone bill.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6714|Sydney, Australia

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Right now they're saying it's a prototype. The model definitely seems more blocky. It's a fine design, it just doesn't seem very "Apple."
Heh, macrumors has a different idea about that..
"In fact, you can argue that the current iPhone 3GS—with its shiny chrome rim and excessively curved back—is out of place compared to the hard edges and Dieter-Ramish utilitarianism of the iMac and the iPad," Chen wrote. "Next to the iPad, for example, the new iPhone makes sense. It has the same feeling, the same functional simplicity."
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

Its a lot better looking tbh.

This whole "oh i found it lying around in a bar somewhere" is total bs though. I bet Gizdomo paid a helluva lot of money to Apple to be the ones to "leak" it. Another one of Apple's marketing schemes
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6212|Phoenix, AZ
The letters on the back are shiny like the 3gs

SCORE
Benzin
+576|5991
@Winston - I wouldn't entirely disagree with you. The whole thing seems quite viral, the only question is who really orchestrated the whole thing. Lot of unanswered questions, which are understandable in some cases, though.

I think the phone looks quite nice. The new version of the OS will definitely tip the balance in Apple's favor, the hardware is sound but the software has always been lacking. The price has never been quite right, either.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6383

CapnNismo wrote:

@Winston - I wouldn't entirely disagree with you. The whole thing seems quite viral, the only question is who really orchestrated the whole thing. Lot of unanswered questions, which are understandable in some cases, though.

I think the phone looks quite nice. The new version of the OS will definitely tip the balance in Apple's favor, the hardware is sound but the software has always been lacking. The price has never been quite right, either.
It depends if the employee who 'lost' it loses his job/gets reprimanded.  If he does, I guess it wasn't on purpose.

By the way:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/how-a … xt-iphone/

Last edited by some_random_panda (2010-04-20 04:19:26)

TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

From what I have read, it seems to be orchestrated by Apple and not Gizmodo. Apparently it was found by some guy on the floor of a restaurant and then he sold it to Gizmodo for $5000.

Either way it is viral marketing purely to overshadow recent phone releases by HTC and other companies (LG/Samsung I think?).
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6620|UK
Calling BS on the whole found it in a pub thing.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

liquidat0r wrote:

Calling BS on the whole found it in a pub thing.
Apple will torture its employees if it loses a prototype. Remember that dude who killed himself in China because he lost an iPhone? Shit just got real.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6620|UK

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

sold it to Gizmodo for $5000.
Gizmodo paid $10,000 for “lost” iPhone 4G
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Its a lot better looking tbh.

This whole "oh i found it lying around in a bar somewhere" is total bs though. I bet Gizdomo paid a helluva lot of money to Apple to be the ones to "leak" it. Another one of Apple's marketing schemes
Sounds like it's true.

There was a lot of speculation about this at work today, since Apple have done things like this deliberately in the past (rarely though, advertising agencies estimate the value of Apple's high level of confidentiality to be worth about $500 million a year in advertising to them - they want to keep it that way).
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6571|Columbus, OH
The story how the Apple (ex)employee left it at the bar is more interesting. I hate to be that fooker right about now.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6167|Sydney | ♥

Steve Jobs Responds to Gizmodo (iPhone 4G)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
GR34
+215|6538|ALBERTA> CANADA
More or less crap then current Iphone?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6383

Police are looking into it.  Hate to be the one to take the fall for wasting police teamtime if it was an intentional leak.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2010-04-26 14:12:35)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
I see no decent improvements.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
it's a prototype. there's no saying for sure if they changes are conclusively-permanent, mere tests or concept trials, or what.

it's essentially like tasting a cake when you've only made half the mixture and have yet to put it in the oven, and saying it tastes yukky.

take the news/information for what it is and dont be so unintelligent as to pass a fucking judgement.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

some_random_panda wrote:

Police are looking into it.  Hate to be the one to take the fall for wasting police team if it was an intentional leak.
It wasn't an intentional leak.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 4th-generation iPhone revealed, has front-facing camera & more

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard