Poll

Have you played the best game of your life?

Yes55%55% - 24
No44%44% - 19
Total: 43
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6644|can
5 years after BF2, I still haven't found a good game I wanna invest my time and effort into. And looking at the recent trend in online FPS (shortlived, sequel-every-year, console port, unlock galore noob friendly srs tactical one shot kill games) it might not happen anytime soon.

imad
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6287|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Null vote

Question cannot be answered...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Chou
+737|6792
Crysis 2 is coming out, cannot decide yet.
FloppY_
­

Chou wrote:

Crysis 2 is coming out, cannot decide yet.
Notsureifserious.png

Crysis was good, yeah... but my god does it age badly
Besides the graphics, the only real remarkable thing about it is the real-time modding of weapons & nano-suit... which are

EDIT: Oh yeah and the fact it didn't take place in the middle east... ++++

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-04-19 07:48:10)

bennisboy
+829|6648|Poundland
Games will always get better. Look at Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the 64, they were incredible, no one knew how they'd be topped, now they're... well... wack
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

DUnlimited wrote:

Can't say I have played a good game after BF2. Fun yes, but nothing I could potentially play as much as I have played BF2
This is how I feel. I feel confident that singleplayer wise there will always be an amazing game that comes out of nowhere despite the (in my opinion) general decline, exemplified by Portal. Overall all though I dunno if anything will ever match the experience I had with BF2 though. TF2 was really good, CoH even comes damn close, but I am afraid the heyday of BF2 might have been my peak.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

best game i ever played - goldeneye
best game I ever played - battlefield 1942
best game i ever played - starcraft
best game i ever played - battlefield desert combat
best game i ever played - battlefield vietnam
best game i ever played - battlefield 2

So I think looking at that it would be incredibly naive to say that the best days of my gaming career are behind me.  BF3 is on it's way, Starcraft 2 is in beta and D3 is in the pipeline so the future looks promising.
Flaming_Maniac
At some point you have played more titles than you will play in the future KEN. You're an old fart, you should know that.

tick tock tick tock
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

as long as i don't view the past with rose-tinted 3d glasses and grasp onto the past with the idea that the future will never reach the good ol' days I think I'll be alright.  I refuse to be one of those, "they just don't make them like they used to" people.
Flaming_Maniac
KEN thinks MW2 > MW1 > CoD2
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Actually i thought MW2 and 1 were shit.  Doesn't mean I didn't have fun playing them.  I don't expect every game to break the mold or be the best game ever.  I also don't think its smart to think that we've already passed the 'golden age' of gaming.  Graphics are getting better, processing power is improving...it would be stupid to think that COD2 (or any previous game) would be the best game ever made.

Have you played SC2?  It's amazing.  Better than the first one.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Actually i thought MW2 and 1 were shit.  Doesn't mean I didn't have fun playing them.  I don't expect every game to break the mold or be the best game ever.  I also don't think its smart to think that we've already passed the 'golden age' of gaming.  Graphics are getting better, processing power is improving...it would be stupid to think that COD2 (or any previous game) would be the best game ever made.

Have you played SC2?  It's amazing.  Better than the first one.
im stoked about the campaign and the custom maps people will be making
also matchmaking and the ladder, but i dont know if it just seems right, it was more of a warcraft 3 thing
Flaming_Maniac

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Graphics are getting better, processing power is improving.
Man this shit has nothing to do with game play.

I am not saying there is a "golden age" of gaming. But it certainly seems like there has been a decline. BF2 came out 5 years ago, and nothing has topped it. The best foreseeable chance for something to top it would be EA making BF3, but then EA is a clusterfuck of a company. Combined that with the fact that friends to play multiplayer games with are getting fewer and fewer as I get older - it's not a ridiculous claim.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

*Looks at Crysis and Bad Company 2 among others* Depending on what game it does.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Flaming_Maniac
Bad games. Crysis I played the demo with zero inclination to play the whole game and BC2 is a small, unbalanced experience.

Unless I want a graphics card benchmark I really do not care about how pretty it is. I would scrim CS any day over BC2.
FloppY_
­

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bad games. Crysis I played the demo with zero inclination to play the whole game and BC2 is a small, unbalanced experience.

Unless I want a graphics card benchmark I really do not care about how pretty it is. I would scrim CS any day over BC2.
omfg, let the first balance patch come out before deeming the game unbalanced x_x

I listed the positives of crysis imo in an earlier post
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

I'm surprised people are relating time played to quality. I mean, yes I mentioned earlier that I've beaten certain games many times over because they were just that much fun, but there are also games that really had an impact on me and I've hardly spent any time on them. The most time I've spent on a single videogame was probably on BF2, but I would never consider that the best game of my life either.
FloppY_
­

mtb0minime wrote:

I'm surprised people are relating time played to quality. I mean, yes I mentioned earlier that I've beaten certain games many times over because they were just that much fun, but there are also games that really had an impact on me and I've hardly spent any time on them. The most time I've spent on a single videogame was probably on BF2, but I would never consider that the best game of my life either.
I think some my my favorite games have been completely linear and non-multiplayer...

e.g.
- Mass Effect 1 & 2
- Half-Life 1+ & 2+
- Fallout 3
To pick some of the resent ones,, (they are closer in my memory, so can't compare them to oldies)
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

FloppY_ wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

I think some my my favorite games have been completely linear and non-multiplayer...
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

Miggle wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Shadow of the Colossus
Rez
Metal Gear Solid (linear on a large scale, not as linear on a micro scale)
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

mtb0minime wrote:

Miggle wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Shadow of the Colossus
Rez
Metal Gear Solid (linear on a large scale, not as linear on a micro scale)
System Shock 2, Deus Ex.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I am not saying there is a "golden age" of gaming. But it certainly seems like there has been a decline. BF2 came out 5 years ago, and nothing has topped it. The best foreseeable chance for something to top it would be EA making BF3, but then EA is a clusterfuck of a company. Combined that with the fact that friends to play multiplayer games with are getting fewer and fewer as I get older - it's not a ridiculous claim.
It does to an extent though.  I thought NBA on NBC was a great game, does that mean I would bust out my dreamcast to play it?  No, because the graphics are atrocious compared to now  You are the one putting expectations on games before they come out as opposed to treating each new game as a new experience.  Not my fault if you can't let go of certain games.

And CS has horrible mechanics in my opinion.  Super clunky and seriously dated.

As to your claim that you are losing gaming friends, that's probably just you.  All my friends game, and I'm 29.  Definitely not the norm.  I've been playing video games for over 20 years and I don't see myself stopping any time soon.  Maybe you need more friends FM
Flaming_Maniac
Take it back about CS.

I dunno how you found lots of friends that old that game...that would be sweet, but I'm not banking on it.

Ah well I hope I haven't peaked, frankly I don't think I have. But I was thinking that at some point, it will have peaked...and that made me sad.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

that's like being sad that your life is eventually going to end - it's all downhill after 37 years...or being sad after the climax of a good movie...the crescendo of a good classical piece.  Everything comes to an end my friend.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6350|Belfast
I nulled, but the Half Life series and BF2 have come close to the best so far.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard