eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
I believe I did.  If you are able to master a new form of urban combat that deals with a non uniformed enemy who typically blends in with non combatants while simultaneously maintaining the combat effectiveness of the limited amount of troops at your disposal, then by all means please, I'd love to hear it.  honest injun.  if you cant think of anything practical and just go with the whole immorality of violent use of force against targets when the difficulty of establishing friend or foe is obvious, then I dont really have much to say to you.
Tu Stultus Es
mikkel
+383|6602

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

yeah, it is
I can't really see how it's relevant whether or not he implies anything regarding the practicality of it. He said that it isn't how it works, and then went on to not explain how it does work.

eleven bravo wrote:

I believe I did.  If you are able to master a new form of urban combat that deals with a non uniformed enemy who typically blends in with non combatants while simultaneously maintaining the combat effectiveness of the limited amount of troops at your disposal, then by all means please, I'd love to hear it.  honest injun.  if you cant think of anything practical and just go with the whole immorality of violent use of force against targets when the difficulty of establishing friend or foe is obvious, then I dont really have much to say to you.
What I said was that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later, then don't do it at all. Why are you asking me for input on the manners in which to fight wars?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What are you replying to? This video happened 'in real life'.
replying to the "avoid conflict in a city with 6 million inhabitants" nonsense.
Wanna reply with something that disproves the 'shoot first, ask questions later' part?

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, we should only send in ground troops, have our ground troops walk up to them and ask them to identify themselves as friend or foe, and THEN engage them if they say they are enemy combatants. To make it more fair we'll limit it to pistol duels as well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Wanna reply with something that disproves the 'shoot first, ask questions later' part?

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, we should only send in ground troops, have our ground troops walk up to them and ask them to identify themselves as friend or foe, and THEN engage them if they say they are enemy combatants. To make it more fair we'll limit it to pistol duels as well.
and swords
mikkel
+383|6602

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Don't attribute your poor reasoning skills to me. This kind of facetious debate tactic of presenting preposterous polar opposites to any form of disagreement with a concept or an occurrence is not something I expect to get from adult people.

You're arguing that it can't be done without the measure of restraint required to avoid civilian bloodshed. I'm saying that if you can't do it without that, then you shouldn't do it at all. Don't agree with me? Fine. Just don't give me that load of crap.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-04-05 20:06:56)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Gotta ensure that everyone is properly attired. Wouldn't do to be fighting a war lacking the proper etiquette.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Yevgeny_Onegin_by_Repin.jpg
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

mikkel wrote:

What I said was that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later, then don't do it at all. Why are you asking me for input on the manners in which to fight wars?
Man, I wish they had asked me how I was feeling and if I meant them harm when they were firing rockets and mortars at me on a daily basis. I'm a peace loving guy, sure I was carrying a machine gun strapped across my back and had a few hundred rounds slung over my shoulder, but I'd rather sit down and have tea and crumpets than use it. They didn't have to go and terrify me every time I drove down a street with the fear of IED explosions or sniper fire.

If the tables had been turned and they had been real insurgents, I guaranfuckingtee he wouldn't be calling back to his commander in the rear for 'permission' to shoot. Nor would they have cared whether we were civilians or military personnel. When I was there they took unarmed civilian truck driving contractors and hung them from a bridge over the Euphrates. They also beheaded a dozen or so people on Al-Jazeera. You question OUR morality? Go fuck yourself.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
I don't understand how mikkel keeps dodging the question like what's being presented to him doesn't apply.

War necessitates command decisions. By your definition of "shoot first, ask questions later" (seeing as calling out a group of people dressed like insurgents and armed like insurgents, waiting over two minutes for the green light and then firing apparently counts as shooting first) war is impossible.
mikkel
+383|6602

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Man, I wish they had asked me how I was feeling and if I meant them harm when they were firing rockets and mortars at me on a daily basis. I'm a peace loving guy, sure I was carrying a machine gun strapped across my back and had a few hundred rounds slung over my shoulder, but I'd rather sit down and have tea and crumpets than use it. They didn't have to go and terrify me every time I drove down a street with the fear of IED explosions or sniper fire.

If the tables had been turned and they had been real insurgents, I guaranfuckingtee he wouldn't be calling back to his commander in the rear for 'permission' to shoot. Nor would they have cared whether we were civilians or military personnel. When I was there they took unarmed civilian truck driving contractors and hung them from a bridge over the Euphrates. They also beheaded a dozen or so people on Al-Jazeera. You question OUR morality? Go fuck yourself.

mikkel wrote:

Don't attribute your poor reasoning skills to me. This kind of facetious debate tactic of presenting preposterous polar opposites to any form of disagreement with a concept or an occurrence is not something I expect to get from adult people.

You're arguing that it can't be done without the measure of restraint required to avoid civilian bloodshed. I'm saying that if you can't do it without that, then you shouldn't do it at all. Don't agree with me? Fine. Just don't give me that load of crap.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
because that mentality only exists on the internet where the actions that the real world requires seem to escape even the most intelligent it seems. 

but if we want to address what actually occurs instead of the "dont shoot unless youre 100% sure" angle you seem to be arguing for, the insurgency in iraq by the very nature of their use of tactis, for the most part, decides the terrain and area of a battle field.  keeping that in mind, if a military were to avoid conflict whenever the threat to civilians exists, that military would find itself at the mercy of the small and relatively low tech guerrila force.  what you are arguing it seems to me, is a scenario where combat would only be permitted in some kind of agreed upon place where two opposing armies face each.   because, thats pretty much the only other option youre leaving.   those days are long gone.   70% of the world population lives in urban areas which means the majority of modern warfare from here on out will be fought in places where the possibility of harm to non combatants is high.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm telling you that you're an idealist and not living in the real world. They don't wear uniforms, they don't spell out their intentions and they know the ROE better than our own soldiers do and how to hide in plain sight because they know we can't fire unless fired upon or unless there is probably cause. You could roll up to them, ask them questions and they'll lie to your face, they'll act docile until you turn your back and then shoot you in said back as soon as you turn around. They don't play by your fictitious rules, and they damn sure don't share your soft hearted morality.
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky
or killing yourself and 20+ innocent people of the same faith in a busy market.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Gotta ensure that everyone is properly attired. Wouldn't do to be fighting a war lacking the proper etiquette.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Repin.jpg
Indeed my good chap. Cheerio!
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
mikkel, it CANNOT be done without the threat to civilians.  its the nature of modern warfare bud.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
inb4 there should be no war
mikkel
+383|6602

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't understand how mikkel keeps dodging the question like what's being presented to him doesn't apply.
You're welcome to document any questions that I'm supposedly dodging.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

War necessitates command decisions.
Yes. Show me where I said anything contrary to this.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

By your definition of "shoot first, ask questions later" (seeing as calling out a group of people dressed like insurgents and armed like insurgents, waiting over two minutes for the green light and then firing apparently counts as shooting first) war is impossible.
What counts as shooting first is seeing a civilian truck stopping in the middle of a busy city, men coming out of it to tend to an injured man on the side of the street, and then opening fire. Asking for permission to fire from someone who only knows what you're telling him does not constitute 'asking questions'.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

By your definition of "shoot first, ask questions later" (seeing as calling out a group of people dressed like insurgents and armed like insurgents, waiting over two minutes for the green light and then firing apparently counts as shooting first) war is impossible.
What counts as shooting first is seeing a civilian truck stopping in the middle of a busy city, men coming out of it to tend to an injured man on the side of the street, and then opening fire. Asking for permission to fire from someone who only knows what you're telling him does not constitute 'asking questions'.
The video is relayed back to the rear.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
fuck anyone who says I dont contribute to this forum
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They showed me this video as an introduction to Iraq when I got to Kuwait. Did you see it too 11B?

[video]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x405on_let-the-bodies-hit-the-floor[/video]

And a few hundred of us were cheering on the deaths of the people on the screen. Does that make us all psychopaths too?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-04-05 20:18:25)

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
I mean, I copuld go on about a specific example in my time in iraq where restraint more than likely allowed the enemy to fight another day but id rather not.  the few years ive been posting here have made me realize when you are arguing something about the war on terror with someone who is so blind with they opposition to what is going on they would rather ignore the anecdote or jump to some conclusions what really went on.  gets annoying.  but, i went through two philosophy classes dealing with modern warfare so I totally know how to attack with that angle.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

JohnG@lt wrote:

They showed me this video as an introduction to Iraq when I got to Kuwait. Did you see it too 11B?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x405on … -the-floor

And a few hundred of us were cheering on the deaths of the people on the screen. Does that make us all psychopaths too?
I think they showed that video a couple of times before we got to iraq.  They gave us the stalest cigars when we got there.
Tu Stultus Es
mikkel
+383|6602
This is why I prefer not to participate in these threads on this forum. I can't write a post without having three other posts directed at me in the interim, asserting asinine extrapolations that extend beyond anything I've ever suggested. This trench warfare mentality of assigning the same set of opinions and ideals to anyone in disagreement, and then hyperinflating them to make ones target easier is ridiculous. I'm sorry, guys, but if there's one thing I refuse to do, it's spending the majority of my replies sifting the assumptions and the inaccurately attributed opinions from the actual substance.

I'm not an idiot because I disagree with you. Nor are you idiots because you disagree with me. I do not need to be told the obvious realities of a situation unless I postulate anything that contradicts them.

I'm open to an exchange of ideas. I'm not open to being stoned indiscriminately for having a difference of opinion.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
damn it I wanna use all this nonsense I was graded on these last 22 weeks about just war theory
Tu Stultus Es
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky
welcome to DST Mikkel.
Flaming_Maniac

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

really not how it works in real life.  as long as there is some kind of restraint on the use of force, what has been done here clearly falls under jus in bello

eleven bravo wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

These all directly address:

mikkel wrote:

I think what he's saying is that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later in the middle of a city with more than six million people in it, just don't do it at all.

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What I said was that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later, then don't do it at all.
These instances of "shooting first ask questions later" are clearly command decisions. You can't ask the insurgents to kindly hold up all of their weapons that could be a threat to American personnel so that they may be engaged.

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Why not? The press should be informing the Army as to their whereabouts. The handlers of the Apache explicitly stated no friendlies were in the area before the Apache opened fire. Command was given accurate information as to the weapons the people were carrying, and as far as the U.S. armed forces knew there were no allies in the area. They could have had a video feed and the exact same decision would have been made. It's not like the pilots lied about anything.

edit:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The video is relayed back to the rear.
like I said

edit2:

mikkel wrote:

I do not need to be told the obvious realities of a situation unless I postulate anything that contradicts them.
You did repeatedly.

This idea of "don't shoot first ask questions later" in the light of the level of restraint presented video being unacceptable directly contradicts the reality of modern warfare.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard