Commie Killer
+192|6388
Agree, Stewart is alright some times.  Just annoying that he only tears one side apart, both are full of shit. Guess its what the kids want though.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i did.  You have a point to make or are you just going to ask me to reread my statements a few more times?  Sorry if I can't take a thread like this seriously.  Perhaps you would like to debate the impact of structural adjustments imposed by the IMF and other NGO lenders on developing nations and how it impedes the rise of the standard of living in those countries.

PS: I have been drinking since 2:30pm.
You want a comedy show to "delve into the issue" instead of mocking the American political system? The show is about mocking the American political system.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio
he is far from funny.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
I have respect for Stewart, but I don't find him funny. Colbert is pretty good. I don't watch either on a regular basis.

Bill Hicks > Dennis Leary with Hicks' material. However, Leary's stuff is pretty good too. Leno > Letterman. Dave's been bad.

Oh wait, what are we talking about?

Colbert, as a person, is funny because his shtick of conservatism and general demeanor make him really quite laughable. (BTW, conservative leaning person here) I just find some of his jokes aren't really that good.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i did.  You have a point to make or are you just going to ask me to reread my statements a few more times?  Sorry if I can't take a thread like this seriously.  Perhaps you would like to debate the impact of structural adjustments imposed by the IMF and other NGO lenders on developing nations and how it impedes the rise of the standard of living in those countries.

You want a comedy show to "delve into the issue" instead of mocking the American political system? The show is about mocking the American political system.
It doesn't do a good job of it.  They had a politician on it complaining about Nancy Pelosi and her ridiculous expenditures.  The politician was attending some stupid convention at a five star resort in Hawaii.  Colbert brought to light how hypocritical it was that this guy was staying in a $1000 a night hotel but decrying the over-the-top expenditures of Pelosi in his usual sarcastic way, but to me it still simply comes across as, "Haha we know it's ridiculous but let's just laugh at it until it goes away."

Yes, I want a comedy show to 'delve into the issue', not mock the political system.  You think that's probably why I don't like the show?  I thought that part was made clear in my post, but I guess you needed to restate it for you to get it.  Whateva.

@eleven bravo: I watch bits here and there from both shows because my roommate is an avid fan of both shows.  There are times I am laughing but for the most part it just comes across as unfunny unsubstantial comedy.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio
making obvious jokes is not that funny.
mikkel
+383|6602

RTHKI wrote:

I like him more than Stewart. Stewart has become increasingly unfunny. I like the other people on his show more than him..
You could cease watching his show entirely by simply making this picture the background in your RSS reader.

https://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2009/03/17/PH2009031701938.jpg

That's all the show really is.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-03-31 09:57:37)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It doesn't do a good job of it.  They had a politician on it complaining about Nancy Pelosi and her ridiculous expenditures.  The politician was attending some stupid convention at a five star resort in Hawaii.  Colbert brought to light how hypocritical it was that this guy was staying in a $1000 a night hotel but decrying the over-the-top expenditures of Pelosi in his usual sarcastic way, but to me it still simply comes across as, "Haha we know it's ridiculous but let's just laugh at it until it goes away."

Yes, I want a comedy show to 'delve into the issue', not mock the political system.  You think that's probably why I don't like the show?  I thought that part was made clear in my post, but I guess you needed to restate it for you to get it.  Whateva.

@eleven bravo: I watch bits here and there from both shows because my roommate is an avid fan of both shows.  There are times I am laughing but for the most part it just comes across as unfunny unsubstantial comedy.
"Delving into the issue" is no longer funny.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

I find both Colbert and Stewart funny.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

"Delving into the issue" is no longer funny.
Neither are Colbert and Stewert.  Go figure.
i liked colbert like 10 years ago.. find him pretty annoying now
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It would seem that you don't understand the difference between comedy and commentary.

If you want a show that is primarily commentary, watch Real Time with Bill Maher.  Watching the Daily Show or Colbert Report for a comprehensive take on any issue is like watching CSI and expecting realistic portrayals of forensic techniques....  it's not gonna happen...
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land
Why is this DS&T?

He is funny. No he isn't. Oh wait yes he is.

Who gives a fuck.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Stewart has better writers.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

ruisleipa wrote:

Why is this DS&T?

Who gives a fuck.
Debate and Serious Talk

Contrary to the popular belief ...

Debate and Copy and Pasted News Articles

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-03-31 15:32:10)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Why is this DS&T?

Who gives a fuck.
Debate and Serious Talk

But he's a masterdebater.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

ruisleipa wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

what the hell does the op know about funny?
yes, quite.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's kind of like South Park, only South Park IS funny. People whose minds are already made up read what they want into someone's act and either like it or dislike it because of it.
lol like you?
I said people. I made no exclusions.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

jsnipy wrote:

Debate and Serious Talk

This is serious talk? Purleaze

Kmarion wrote:

But he's a masterdebater.
Hah I knew my debating society at Uni would come in handy.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I said people. I made no exclusions.
Fair enuff.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
they are both funny guys... if you don't agree... don't watch their shows.
Love is the answer
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

Catbox wrote:

they are both funny guys... if you don't agree... don't watch their shows.
I don't agree, that's why I don't watch their shows.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland
Colbert is funny, Macbeth just aint smart enough to get it. Stick with comedies like "Dumb and Dumber" , or something by Adam Sandler if he isnt your style
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6655
Colbert has lost some of his mojo, I'd say.  He was hilarious when he and Steve Carrell were still both on the Daily Show.  Actually, both of those dudes have kind of gone downhill since then.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It would seem that you don't understand the difference between comedy and commentary.

If you want a show that is primarily commentary, watch Real Time with Bill Maher.  Watching the Daily Show or Colbert Report for a comprehensive take on any issue is like watching CSI and expecting realistic portrayals of forensic techniques....  it's not gonna happen...
No I completely understand.  Bill Maher manages to be funny-ish I guess sometimes.  Colbert and Stewart don't.  What I want the show to be and what the show is are two different things...I understand this, but it doesn't mean I can't complain about it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
Maybe it was just the episode I saw but Maher was not funny at all, he actually started pissing me off, especially the audience, they clap and shit every time he talks . All he was doing was ripping on Republicans and saying what should be done about this or that without saying why... I did see some of another show but I only saw 8min and it was mainly other people talking.
Maybe I'll give him another chance.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

I've been holding back from saying that forever now, but I really feel that he is given way more praise than he deserves.

Does anyone else here not find Stephen Colbert to be funny? I think most people find his show to be the 'funniest thing eva' because his character is a parody of conservatives and most of his jokes are aimed at conservatives. All over the internet you'll find praise for his skits and humor but in my honest opinion it's not very funny, mostly average and juvenile.

I think the whole Stephen Colbert worship thing is nothing more than people just going along with what other people tell them since they can't think critically for themselves.

No debate here just Serious Talk.
I prefer Jon Stewart more myself over Colbert Report....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard