Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

S.Lythberg wrote:

Lack of soduim ions will kill a human fairly quickly...
What does sodium have to do with this?

A surplus of chlorine will kill a human fairly quickly too...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6720|Sydney, Australia

Bertster7 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_channel
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

mcminty wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_channel
You seem to have completely missed the point.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

ruisleipa wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I cook at home a lot. I also use salt in almost everything I cook.
yeah exactly but you choose how much to put in your food. if you go out to eat or buy ready-made meals they often have a lot of salt in them already and then people often add even more, so you end up with shitloads of salt in your food...which isn't very healthy obviously.
I don't go to restaurants to buy ready made meals. And any 'chef' worthy of the title does not work in fast food. Salt is a key ingredient in any decent food, banning its use would more then likely just lead to hundreds of restaurant closures.

I understand the concern, but banning its use it definitely not the answer. How about we also ban the use of oils and butters, or the practice of larding? How about cream, that's nice and fattening, ban that too?
ruisleipa
+149|6221|teh FIN-land

DrunkFace wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

yeah exactly but you choose how much to put in your food. if you go out to eat or buy ready-made meals they often have a lot of salt in them already and then people often add even more, so you end up with shitloads of salt in your food...which isn't very healthy obviously.
I don't go to restaurants to buy ready made meals. And any 'chef' worthy of the title does not work in fast food. Salt is a key ingredient in any decent food, banning its use would more then likely just lead to hundreds of restaurant closures.

I understand the concern, but banning its use it definitely not the answer. How about we also ban the use of oils and butters, or the practice of larding? How about cream, that's nice and fattening, ban that too?
yeah yeah, I agree with you man, I'm just pointing out another way of looking at it is all, fuckin take it easy. I'm not arguing for a ban. Chillax. My point is that while you might have a good diet and an intelligent way of tihnking about food millions don't. They don't know about nutrition, they don't know about excess salt, and so on.

I didn't mean you eat ready meals in a restaurant, obviously. but ready-meals are really popular and often have a LOT of salt and sugar in them, and they're more unhealthy than making the same food at home.

It's also not true that salt is a key ingredient in ANY decent food, especially when we consider sweet foods, right?

As the OP said:

BN wrote:

Any decent chef knows you need salt when preparing meals; salt destabilises flavour molecules. I trust a chef to administer salt appropriately.

If this guy is serious he would look at reducing salt in fast food & prepared microwave meals.
I agree with this - fast food and ready meals should have their ingredients labelled and controlled more. So there is definitely practices that should be reconsidered but banning salt in restaurants is obviously a stupid idea, although I can see why there would be the concern in the first place.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

people will always find salt

https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7527/dscf0667jillshsmsaltlicj.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

DrunkFace wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yes they can.

It's just a matter of strength and will. Cooking at home is a step one.
thats the point innit, many people find it easier to eat at McD than cook at home, don't have the will or inclination to eat healthily, can't cook, or don't know what it means to have a balanced diet.
I was struggling to think of a single recipe that doesn't require salt when this was first posted and I still can't think of one. Even most deserts require a pinch of salt.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

JohnG@lt wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

thats the point innit, many people find it easier to eat at McD than cook at home, don't have the will or inclination to eat healthily, can't cook, or don't know what it means to have a balanced diet.
I was struggling to think of a single recipe that doesn't require salt when this was first posted and I still can't think of one. Even most deserts require a pinch of salt.
Azn bitter chicken soup. No salt in that bitch. Just a shitload of ginger and other herbal shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Lai
+186|6150

destruktion_6143 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Or...here's an idea...people can control their OWN intake of salt.
No they cant.

People cant seem to control their intake of sugar, fat, carbs, protein, salt, or alcohol anymore....
Then let them die.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

destruktion_6143 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Or...here's an idea...people can control their OWN intake of salt.
No they cant.

People cant seem to control their intake of sugar, fat, carbs, protein, salt, or alcohol anymore....
bool. sheet.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6626|Canada

Cybargs wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yes they can.

It's just a matter of strength and will. Cooking at home is a step one.
That's their own fault really. Kinda like kids who do shit in school who don't bother to study.
Which proves my point of people not being able to control themselves... rite?
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6742|Reality
Better to ban sugar or HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) before you ban salt
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

That's their own fault really. Kinda like kids who do shit in school who don't bother to study.
Which proves my point of people not being able to control themselves... rite?
Some people. Don't ban me from using a taste enhancer because some fuckers like to use a ton of it.

As stubbee said, ban HFCS first. But you can't coz US has a HUGE corn industry.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
Look at the sodium you're getting in %DV on what you eat. I know yesterday I went well over it, but that's not usually the case. A lot of prepackaged foods and such contain a shit-ton of salt, and it's commonplace because it's something quick you can eat in the on-the-go society of today.
As far as blaming the people who eat McDonalds as their own fault, look at why they're eating it: 1) It's cheap 2) It's a large number of calories per dollar. Oftentimes, they're not eating it because they want to, but it's either to buy some cheap, unhealthy food or go hungry. High sodium is just one of the major public health problems related to nutrition in this country.
Some more reading material
jamiecracker
+17|6747|Wollongong,Australia

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

I blame fat people.
I blame me too
This is just stupid why do people think that the public needs to be wrapped in cotton wool to protect themselves. If people are too stupid to regulate what they eat then basically they deserve what they get.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Salt is also a great preservative.
It used to be quite valuable for this very reason. Then I invented refrigeration.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard