Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Is there a way of changing where Steam installs games and/or moving those games to a different location?

I want Steam on one drive and my Steam games scatterred across different hard drives. Anyone know of an easy way of doing this?
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land
Yep

well, kinda, but you have to install steam itself on a specific drive and all steam games go there too

actually now I re-read your original question, the answer is no - steam and the games have to go in the same drive, sorry.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art … -TDLC-0426

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-01 13:38:34)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Not easily. You could mount a partition as a NTFS folder to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamename
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

max wrote:

Not easily. You could mount a partition as a NTFS folder to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamename
Hmmm - I'm sure that would be slow (I'm not sure why - but I bet it would be slow).

Can't I change the Steam config to look for the games somewhere else, or preferably, to check multiple locations?

I'm going to have a try - but not now. It's spliff, film and bed time.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-03-01 14:04:53)

Microwave
_
+515|6625|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I read about this because I wanted some steam games on my SSD but not my whole steam dir.

The only way (I read) you can do it is by directing one location on a drive to a partition on the one you want it installed on, tricking steam into thinking it's on the other drive.

Sounded quite complicated. Sorry I can't really explain better!
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5581|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

james@alienware wrote:

I read about this because I wanted some steam games on my SSD but not my whole steam dir.

The only way (I read) you can do it is by directing one location on a drive to a partition on the one you want it installed on, tricking steam into thinking it's on the other drive.

Sounded quite complicated. Sorry I can't really explain better!
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos … tem_mklink
I think this is kind of what you're talking about...

Right???
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Bertster7 wrote:

max wrote:

Hmmm - I'm sure that would be slow (I'm not sure why - but I bet it would be slow).

Can't I change the Steam config to look for the games somewhere else, or preferably, to check multiple locations?

I'm going to have a try - but not now. It's spliff, film and bed time.
doubt it would be any slower, all pointer hax. Run procmon and investigate; see what keys/configs are being toutched.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi … 96645.aspx

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard