threadworthy
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6470

Finray wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Finray wrote:

Mythbusters did it. Busted.
Mythbusters is full of shit half the time. This is one of those times.
Eh? They used a fraction of the power of real lightning, and got >6mA across the heart, plenty to kill you. If you had real lightning, you'd be very well cooked.
So people who have survived lightning hits are aliens or some shit?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

Again

I love winter but this is getting to be a bit much.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 … CF2593.jpg
Everything had melted over the last two days and there was grass showing... No more.
awww a liddle bit ov snow got you all cold and fweezy awww diddums

What you have there is a light snowfall my friend. Get back to us when you have some proper snow yeh?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
I looked out my window just now. (10 in the morning) We got dumped on all night. Piles of fucking snow. Fins, Danes, and Canadians can go shut up now.

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-hea … 2-26_11:00

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-02-26 07:27:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
https://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb139/winterkiss42/DSCF2594.jpg
Here's what it looks like today. Gonna keep snowing all day and all night today (it's 10:30 AM right now).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
lol I didn't even notice that car at the bottom of the pic until awhile after

if it's your car you really ought to clear it before it gets worse

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-02-26 07:35:52)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

NooBesT wrote:

Finray wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Eh? They used a fraction of the power of real lightning, and got >6mA across the heart, plenty to kill you. If you had real lightning, you'd be very well cooked.
My phys ed teacher in elementary school was hit by lightning three times.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Brasso
+1,549|6631

let it snow let it snow let it snow
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black

NooBesT wrote:

Finray wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Lucky circumstances.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646
yea a lot of snow threads lol

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

m3thod wrote:

denmark doesnt use the euro.
Rebel.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
yell.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6470

Finray wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

Finray wrote:

Lucky circumstances.
Like?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
greensprite
awsm
+13|6167|Germany
~ snow is finally melting here in Germany. It's been on the streets since 17 of December i guess...pissing me off
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
My school called off at 5:30, 1 hour before I wake up. Good thing.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

Everything we got last night is all fucking gone It's 3 degrees at the moment.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
i has rainstorm

fuck you guys

Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6695|The Ville
Clear skys but cold here.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
What the hell is all that white stuff in those pics
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
mikkel
+383|6602

JohnG@lt wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I love seeing pictures like that from the US...

I don't think we've had powerlines like that since the 80's over here...

Like looking at the past with modern gadgets...
It doesn't snow enough to justify burying them for anything other than aesthetic reasons. Have fun replacing your buried wires when the time comes.
It really isn't terribly difficult. You pull out the old wires, shoot the new wires down the tube, and then you're done. Certainly cheaper and easier than replacing longer aerial spans.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

west-phoenix-az wrote:

What the hell is all that white stuff in those pics
yea this^

https://i47.tinypic.com/2llkl1l.jpg
my white stuff
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I love seeing pictures like that from the US...

I don't think we've had powerlines like that since the 80's over here...

Like looking at the past with modern gadgets...
It doesn't snow enough to justify burying them for anything other than aesthetic reasons. Have fun replacing your buried wires when the time comes.
It really isn't terribly difficult. You pull out the old wires, shoot the new wires down the tube, and then you're done. Certainly cheaper and easier than replacing longer aerial spans.
You're talking about tearing up roads and inconveniencing millions of people in a highly populated area for mostly aesthetic reasons. The utility company is not state owned, it is private, and therefor does not own the road. It would require permits in order to do any work which would lead to civil complaints and thus work stoppages. I'll pay the few extra pennies a year in utility rates rather than deal with the inconvenience and noise associated with road construction.
-Frederick Bastiat
mikkel
+383|6602

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You're talking about tearing up roads and inconveniencing millions of people in a highly populated area..
There's rarely any need for tearing up anything other than a few locations along the line when replacing wiring, as it is typically laid in conduits through which you can pull old cable and push new cable.

JohnG@lt wrote:

.. for mostly aesthetic reasons.
The reasons are anything but mostly aesthetic. The reasons are primarily of reliability, safety and efficiency.

JohnG@lt wrote:

The utility company is not state owned, it is private, and therefor does not own the road. It would require permits in order to do any work which would lead to civil complaints and thus work stoppages.
There are many, many, many private companies all over the world establishing vast underground infrastructure without incurring anything as dramatic as you make it sound.

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'll pay the few extra pennies a year in utility rates rather than deal with the inconvenience and noise associated with road construction.
I've been in the U.S. for a month, and I've gone through my first two power outages. I've also experienced power outages during each of the past five leisure visits I have made, none of which have been for longer than 4 weeks. I lived in Denmark for 23 years, and I can count the power outages I've experienced in my home on one hand. You may live in an area with a more reliable infrastructure, but I consider your complaints about the relatively brief periods of construction during which the infrastructure would be installed to be completely insignificant compared to the massive increase in reliability gained.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-02-26 15:57:33)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I haven't experienced a power outage since I was in the Army and forgot to fuel the generator one day That was 5 1/2 years ago. Before that? Maybe once when I was a kid.
-Frederick Bastiat
mikkel
+383|6602

JohnG@lt wrote:

I haven't experienced a power outage since I was in the Army and forgot to fuel the generator one day That was 5 1/2 years ago. Before that? Maybe once when I was a kid.
Yeah, as suggested the need for increased reliability really depends on where you live, but there are a whole lot of places in which aerial infrastructure just does not cut it. I'm noticing a lot of 'here and now, as cheap as possible' infrastructure around here that seems to really be coming back to bite people in their asses. Especially with regards to utilities.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard