Poll

I am _______ concealed weapons and I live...

_for_...in the US.43%43% - 97
_for_...in another nation where they are allowed.3%3% - 7
_for_...in a nation where they are disallowed.10%10% - 23
_against_...in the US.5%5% - 13
_against_...in another nation where they are allowed.2%2% - 5
_against_...in a nation where they are disallowed.35%35% - 80
Total: 225
ruisleipa
+149|6193|teh FIN-land

RAIMIUS wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

I'm for it, but only if the license takes hundreds of hours of qualification and training to get.
So you want them to get more training than licensed security guards and cops?
surely it'd be better if guards ad cops got the same training as them, not the other way around?
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

S.Lythberg wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Truly an epic revive...

I'm for it, but only if the license takes hundreds of hours of qualification and training to get.
So you want them to get more training than licensed security guards and cops?
Yes, and why not?  Most firearm injuries are accidental, people obviously don't know how to properly handle and store their guns.
Wrong.

In 2008, according to the CDC's WISQARS system, there were 61,406 violence related firearms injuries.  984 of those were legal interventions.  Contrast that with 17,215 unintentional firearms injuries.

On the lethal side (same source, 2006 stats)
Violence-related = 30,034
Legal intervention (included above)= 360
Unintentional = 642

edit: http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2010-02-25 12:28:53)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

S.Lythberg wrote:

Yes, and why not?  Most firearm injuries are accidental, people obviously don't know how to properly handle and store their guns.

Win or fail, you decide.

ruisleipa wrote:

surely it'd be better if guards ad cops got the same training as them, not the other way around?
Not that a security guard's going to stick his neck out for that measly pay.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-02-25 21:04:03)

Longbow
+163|6617|Odessa, Ukraine
All for it, gun makes a loyal citizen & criminal equal.
ruisleipa
+149|6193|teh FIN-land

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

maybe not, but just saying that surely it's better if everyone has the very highest training possible when it comes to lethal weapons innit?

Longbow wrote:

All for it, gun makes a loyal citizen & criminal equal.
Only if everyone is packing. Better to not have anyone packing surely.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

maybe not, but just saying that surely it's better if everyone has the very highest training possible when it comes to lethal weapons innit?
You make it seem like a gun is as intellectually challenging to use as a nuclear reactor.

Here's your gun safety class:

1) Always keep your weapon's safety on and the gun unloaded with magazine removed while not in use.
2) If you have children, purchase a locking mechanism for the weapon so they don't discharge it accidentally if they find it.
3) Do not store your ammunition in a hot place like the trunk of a car (or an oven, this happened last week, haha).
4) Always treat your weapon as if it were loaded and never point it at anyone you do not intend to shoot.
5) When firing the weapon, aim it at the target and squeeze lightly on the trigger, do not pull or yank the trigger, when the trigger is squeezed, the gun going off should surprise you.
6) In order to maintain accuracy, control your breathing.

There's a few more things to it but it's hardly rocket science. You don't need to spend hundreds of hours at a range in order to gain proficiency with a weapon. Hell, the Army spends maybe two weeks covering everything and that's because it is teaching to the lowest common denominator (the dumbest person in the class). Any reasonably intelligent person can become proficient in a day or two. I went from having fired a rifle one time in my life when I was eight years old, to qualifying as an expert shot with multiple weapons in those two weeks. It doesn't matter if it's a handgun or a machine gun, the basics are all the same.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6193|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

You make it seem like a gun is as intellectually challenging to use as a nuclear reactor.
Thanks for the info but thank allah I won't need it.

I didn't bring up the issue of training, with security guards or whatever getting more training than cops etc., someone else did.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
CCW is a hassle as more and more public places become aware about CCW. They can insist you not bring a concealed weapon onto their premise.
People with CCW permits need to heed the "no firearms allowed" signs plastered on the doors or windows. I am more concern about someone breaking into a car and stealing a weapon because the person was not allowed to bring it with him or her.

I am FOR

Last edited by loubot (2010-02-26 12:11:15)

west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6360

loubot wrote:

People with CCW permits need to heed the "no firearms allowed" signs plastered on the doors or windows.
That depends on where you are at.

JohnG@lt wrote:

3) Do not store your ammunition in a hot place like the trunk of a car (or an oven, this happened last week, haha).
I store ammo in my vehicles all the time, year round, in the AZ heat. I keep them out of direct sunlight. Never had a problem and I've been doing it for 10+ years.

Here's a pic from awhile back, it gets hotter inside the cab, but just happened to snap a pic that day:
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/th_thermometer-6-20-2008.jpg

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2010-02-26 12:38:40)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
CCW are fine as long as the only people allowed to have them are mentally stable.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6360

Turquoise wrote:

CCW are fine as long as the only people allowed to have them are mentally stable.
Who determines and how if one is stable?
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Psychologists and psychiatrists.  Mental health records should be disclosed to background checks before getting a CCW permit or a gun at all for that matter.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Psychologists and psychiatrists.  Mental health records should be disclosed to background checks before getting a CCW permit or a gun at all for that matter.
No way. Fuck shrinks. Innocent until proven guilty. No record? Here's your gun.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

No way. Fuck shrinks. Innocent until proven guilty. No record? Here's your gun.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard