Jesus here we go again...
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

CammRobb wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Be quiet or I'll move back to the other thread
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Be quiet or I'll move back to the other thread
I don't mind it really, it's quite interesting but too much for me to get my head around. I've got a Harman/Kardon 2.1 set up circa 2003, does me fine.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6691|Ireland | Monaghan

I find it insightful too! I taught the Xonar DX was a good soundcard
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

It is. It's just that .Sup dosen't really seem to know what he's talking about.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Lol, well, I can't comment on that as he told me to buy the AV40's

Hey: Atleast I didn't buy the Z-5500 LOL

Last edited by IrishGrimReaper (2010-02-10 08:43:03)

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

The AV40's aren't bad, I often recommend those myself. But his opinions regarding sound cards and DACs are a bit misleading.
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5220

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

z5500 owns your face
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

z5500 owns your face
Yeah, the ones in my brothers room 5 feet away said they own me too.
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5220
so y u hatin
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

CammRobb wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

so y u hatin
Lulz, I'm not hating. Let me show you! Quote incoming-

Read on through the page and you'll see I never said they were bad, I even said they were good! I'm happy, (more than happy actually) with the AV40 for near enough 1/3rd the price of the Z-5500.

I like that I have my desk to myself now, my old speakers were Logitech X540, and tbh 5.1 speakers were crowding my shits! And 2 mini karaoke speakers look win
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5220
word. yeah ive loved these babies for the 1.5 yrs or so ive had em. perfect for my uses, and i got a great deal on them for like 200 bucks
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
So I'm home. Reply in a minute
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

Very stupid thing to say. You're wrong.

I'm not going to make a big fuss out of this because I know your way of thinking is cemented but have a look at this picture:

A soundcard
https://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95330&amp;stc=1&amp;d=1235355119

a DAC
https://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE7/RE78.jpg

Now if you still think one is the other... Soundcards are very limited as they must fit inside a PC. If they could fit all the best components and make a highest end soundcard comparable to a highest end standalone DAC then it would be the size of a PC case.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i'll take DAC for $200 please, Alex
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

I'm not going to make a big fuss out of this because I know your way of thinking is cemented but have a look at this picture:

A soundcard
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/att … 1235355119

a DAC
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE7/RE78.jpg

Now if you still think one is the other... Soundcards are very limited as they must fit inside a PC. If they could fit all the best components and make a highest end soundcard comparable to a highest end standalone DAC then it would be the size of a PC case.
And? We aren't talking ultra-high-end here. My point is that a Xonar DX is a very well-performing piece of equipment, far beyond the point of diminishing returns for a home audio application. It's got far better SNR than a CD and less distortion than even the finest of studio amplifiers, not to mention speakers or headphones.

I'm not saying that it's the best there is, of course there are better-performing products out there. There always are. What I'm saying is that it is a hundred percent pointless to buy a similarly performing external DAC for three or four times the price, not to mention a slightly better-performing one for twice that, unless you have some special requirements.
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

A soundcard

a DAC

And? We aren't talking ultra-high-end here. My point is that a Xonar DX is a very well-performing piece of equipment, far beyond the point of diminishing returns for a home audio application. It's got far better SNR than a CD and less distortion than even the finest of studio amplifiers, not to mention speakers or headphones.

I'm not saying that it's the best there is, of course there are better-performing products out there. There always are. What I'm saying is that it is a hundred percent pointless to buy a similarly performing external DAC for three or four times the price, not to mention a slightly better-performing one for twice that, unless you have some special requirements.
Who would be so stupid to "buy a similarly performing external DAC for three or four times the price"? This doesn't make any sense. Do you have a DAC? I compared soundcards to DACs that cost less and over perform soundcards. Why? Because they are concentrated on best 2.0 stereo sound while with soundcards you pay 50% of its cost for Dolby and THX license which no one who's really into audio needs/wants. Soundcards are overpriced not DACs.

.Sup wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Ohh ok, I don't know the Xonar DX. Sup.. how does that compare to a USB DAC?
It sucks
^This was the initial question. Do you wan't me to read it again to you?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

.Sup wrote:

with soundcards you pay 50% of its cost for Dolby and THX license which no one who's really into audio needs/wants.
What utter nonsense.

No one cares about THX, but Dolby and DTS are very worthwhile for lots of people who are into audio. Unless you're talking about the big pile of shite that is prologic....
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

A soundcard

a DAC

Who would be so stupid to "buy a similarly performing external DAC for three or four times the price"? This doesn't make any sense. Do you have a DAC? I compared soundcards to DACs that cost less and over perform soundcards. Why? Because they are concentrated on best 2.0 stereo sound while with soundcards you pay 50% of its cost for Dolby and THX license which no one who's really into audio needs/wants. Soundcards are overpriced not DACs.
Right. Show me an external DAC for under $90 with over 100dB SNR and under 0.005% distortion. I dare you.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-02-10 14:01:57)

.Sup
be nice

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

with soundcards you pay 50% of its cost for Dolby and THX license which no one who's really into audio needs/wants.
What utter nonsense.

No one cares about THX, but Dolby and DTS are very worthwhile for lots of people who are into audio. Unless you're talking about the big pile of shite that is prologic....
DVD Audio and SACD only. Who has them here? Anybody?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Right. Show me an external DAC for under $90 with over 100dB SNR and under 0.005% distortion. I dare you.
External DAC under $90?

Which makes your point nicely.
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Cable … d69d874dad

60$

laugh some more dick
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

.Sup wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

What utter nonsense.

DVD Audio and SACD only. Who has them here? Anybody?
I do.

Converted all my DTS-Audio CDs to play back on PC too. Wrote a big old batch script to change the sample rate so they sound right. Took ages, but was worth it. Split to 6 mono tracks, resample each track at the right rate, recombine the tracks and you end up with nice .dts files that actually work.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-02-10 14:09:18)

.Sup
be nice
once more for the retards who cant read:

.Sup wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Ohh ok, I don't know the Xonar DX. Sup.. how does that compare to a USB DAC?
It sucks
no fixed price asked, simply how does DX compare to a DAC

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard