Someone being openly an illegal citizen35%35% - 31
Someone being openly addicted to Drugs28%28% - 25
Someone being openly uncaring about the environment.27%27% - 24
Total: 88
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6706|67.222.138.85

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I agree with Macbeth when he said "Both are neither right nor wrong. Pretty simple."
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

the fuck you doing pulling big TJ out of your ass

This is about you being a hypocrite. You didn't like where the argument was going with Macbeth so you turn to " Oh shit, I forgot you're the guy that wants to be able to stomp kittens to death if he wants to. Yeah, you're an idiot. ". He went after your espoused views with that and the example is blowing up in your face.
It's not blowing up in my face at all. FM, you believe that all opinions are equal? That was his original point.
The example is people that own slaves have the right to do what they want with them. If you are consistent in your views, you agree with that statement, particularly for the time period. At the same time, you tried to use that statement to "get at" Macbeth.

I agree with Macbeth when he said "Both are neither right nor wrong. Pretty simple. " A point which you never responded to.

You keep hopping from point to point when he pins you somewhere.
Hopping from point to point? Hardly.

How can something be neither right nor wrong? The comparison was simple. Either women are equal or they aren't. They can't both be correct, it would be a paradox.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not blowing up in my face at all. FM, you believe that all opinions are equal? That was his original point.
The example is people that own slaves have the right to do what they want with them. If you are consistent in your views, you agree with that statement, particularly for the time period. At the same time, you tried to use that statement to "get at" Macbeth.

I agree with Macbeth when he said "Both are neither right nor wrong. Pretty simple. " A point which you never responded to.

How can something be neither right nor wrong? The comparison was simple. Either women are equal or they aren't. They can't both be correct, it would be a paradox.
Then answer all the points given to you.

They are individual opinions. Right and wrong are manufactured from social opinion - also not something that is intrinsically right or wrong. There is no objective standard to hold such opinions against that makes them definitively right or wrong.

You know paradox means that while at first glance the idea does not seem to make sense, but upon closer examiniation it does?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

They are individual opinions. Right and wrong are manufactured from social opinion - also not something that is intrinsically right or wrong. There is no objective standard to hold such opinions against that makes them definitively right or wrong.

You know paradox means that while at first glance the idea does not seem to make sense, but upon closer examiniation it does?
"a self-contradictory and false proposition."

Whether you wish it or not, you do live within a society. Whether an opinion is 'manufactured' is irrelevant. It exists and is accepted. Against the opinion of the society we live in, a statement like 'women are not equal to men', is false.

Now, if we were living in a vacuum, your opinion would be correct.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-01-16 15:27:42)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox

1.     a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2.     a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3.     any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4.     an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Poor word choice to the extent the sentence doesn't mean what you wanted it to. "They can't both be correct, it would be a paradox." is not correct because they could both be correct and it could still be a paradox.

In any case you just gave an excellent example of dropping points. I'm going to go eat dinner now.

edit: well at least you edited

JohnG@lt wrote:

Whether you wish it or not, you do live within a society. Whether an opinion is 'manufactured' is irrelevant. It exists and is accepted. Against the opinion of the society we live in, a statement like 'women are not equal to men', is false.
Neither Macebeth nor I added any such stipulations to our statements. An opinion itself has equal value, so long as it is not intrinsically contradictory, regardless of the social opinion of it.

In any case if we're using your definition, the vast majority of your opinions are socially defined as false.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's fine. They don't have to agree with me. But can they say that I haven't researched my views or that I come up with off the cuff crap to spew? No.
Uh no that is as wrong as calling their views stupid. I'm not a big fan of making debates personal or totally discounting people's views.
I edited. I discount peoples views when it's warranted. If their ideas aren't based on logic and reason then they are worthless.

I'm sorry Macbeth but not all opinions and ideas have merit.
In a way, I agree.

The freedom of speech provides that just about any view is allowed to be expressed, but this does not mean that all views should be equally respected.

An idea in a practical sense is warranted more respect if it is based on reason and evidence, rather than emotion and blind faith.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command

Macbeth wrote:

Someone being openly an illegal citizen
Someone being openly gay Homosexuality doesn't bother me.
Someone being openly Democrat or Republican Meh
Someone being openly addicted to Drugs People can change
Someone being openly uncaring about the environment. Fuck the environment

Someone being proud to be an illegal makes me rage a bit. I don't mind people coming here legally and obtaining citizenship, that's cool "give us your tired your poor" and so on but someone being proud of being an illegal just pisses me off.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6741|London

ATG wrote:

Really?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467

Dauntless wrote:

ATG wrote:

Really?
All forms of Dauntless are vile.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6182|Ireland

Dauntless wrote:

ATG wrote:

Really?
Dude, I think you got a date for tonight!
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6741|London

cool your jets you bunch of wiseguys

I actually wanted to know if that's how ATG feels
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6182|Ireland

Dauntless wrote:

cool your jets you bunch of wiseguys

I actually wanted to know if that's how ATG feels
Why, you want to jump out of the closet and kiss him?
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6741|London

yes that is why

nice one

oh how it burns

douche
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6182|Ireland

Dauntless wrote:

yes that is why

nice one

oh how it burns

douche
Well I am sure he typed that he didn't have a problem with gays to cover for the fact that he goes out weekly and beats them to death with a bat.

and douche is against the TOS.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone
The last 3. But mostly the environment one, as it's the only one that has a DIRECT impact on me, my lifestyle and my living conditions.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Illegal citizen and environment.

The remainder I don't care about as long as they stay away from me.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
Someone being openly gay
---
I don't really care. Their private life is their private life.

Someone being openly Democrat or Republican   
---
Again, I don't care what one's political affiliation is. I do care if they start trying to shove their ideas down my throat.

Someone being openly an illegal citizen   
---
Yeah there are illegals who commit crime, but same with any other group. They should take the legal way in like a lot of other immigrants, but I don't really care as long as they're contributing to society.

Someone being openly addicted to Drugs   
---
They don't directly affect me, but they support drug dealers who often value their "products" over human life. Drug addicts essentially bring crime into an area. Fuck that shit.

Someone being openly uncaring about the environment.
---
AKA being an asshole? Meh. A lot of people are assholes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Damn people, I never said it OK to murder people.  I said I was glad he was called out for being who he was.  If you read the story the teens gave him ( a 25 year old guy) shit for banging a 15 year old.  The 25 year old guy then " call his friends " ( see gang violence ) the teen kicked his ass and he left ( would have been the end of it ) but turned around fight some more and ended up getting killed.
Clearly you don't remember the thread. FoxNews reported bullshit. He wasn't banging a 15 year old girl. That was his sister in law, whom he was walking home. Then a gang of drunken under aged teenagers attacked and killed him. They then fled without calling police, leaving him unconscious and in a critical condition.

But I can see how you'd forget all of this and go back to assuming the worst because he was an illegal immigrant. You thought they were heroes for beating him to death.

He picked cherries for a living. So he was pure evil, huh...?

If anyone wants to see Lotta Drolls stance on anyone non-white, they just have to read this thread:

Dead Mexican child molestor's killers aquitted
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

DrunkFace wrote:

The last 3. But mostly the environment one, as it's the only one that has a DIRECT impact on me, my lifestyle and my living conditions.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ruisleipa
+149|6221|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Now, if we were living in a vacuum, your opinion would be correct.
/gets popcorn
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
All but number 2

*Enjoy the next 32 seconds (dammit)
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6342|California
I like this poll, but "Being openly religious/non-religious" could have been a good option.
Ticia
+73|5334

JohnG@lt wrote:

null. Why get your panties in a twist over what someone else does?
People get offended by the silliest things
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Spark wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

mind you... i still null voted.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Only two (maybe three, if you count the environmental one) are actually breaking any laws.

I'd have to go with the drug addict.

At least illegal aliens contribute something as a general population whereas drug addicts are a net drain on our economy/society.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard