Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6319

I'm not sure if anybody else agrees with me, but I do know some of you play BF2 while listening to music. The question is, do you mute the game sound so all you hear is the music?

I think I have found that I play better with the game sounds muted, and having music play instead. It might sound odd, but I've gotten pretty good scores when doing this. Also I think it helps the mind focus on the game because:
  • Game audio is not distracting you
  • Without game audio, your eyes can concentrate on what they see, rather then following your ears
  • Game audio isn't confusing your decisions to do something (For example, going east to capture a flag, but turning around because you hear enemy sounds behind you)
  • The music helps you get in a "groove"
  • You don't get annoyed by all the friendly radio coms, focus more on the game
  • You can still listen to people in your squad over VOIP
  • It allows you to get more "in tune" with the game, and how things are playing out

I think I'll test this theory more by playing a few rounds with and without music and game sounds off/on and get some screenshots, maybe some fraps footage.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6636
yea done that before while playing bf2, but then sometimes wouldnt hear people walking and sneaking up on u so that was one of the benefits....so it depends it has its pros and cons
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6319

blademaster wrote:

yea done that before while playing bf2, but then sometimes wouldnt hear people walking and sneaking up on u so that was one of the benefits....so it depends it has its pros and cons
you hardly get a chance to hear that. With a commander spotting shit all the time, other teammates calling out for shit. It's rare that I'm on a flag and it is completely silent so I can hear someone, then of course you have the sound of the flag itself.

So in my experience, this isn't an issue and I generally sit somewhere and look around rapidly for anyone that might be coming from any given direction.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Zandermander
Chopper Whore
+3|5593
i use my hearing a ton on bf2...
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6180|Canada

In-game sound is at 33% and 0% for in-game music.

If I'm doing mostly infantry I don't listen to music. That way it's easier to know your surroundings.

If I'm mostly doing vehicles, I'll be listening to music.
Perv3rt
Lookin' through your Window
+193|6231|Man Diego

Mr.Dooomed wrote:

[#]The music helps you get in a "groove"
If you want to get in a groove, smoke a nice blunt.

Where you been hiding?  Get on XFire, yes?
Phrozenbot
+632|6607|do not disturb

Perv3rt wrote:

Mr.Dooomed wrote:

[#]The music helps you get in a "groove"
If you want to get in a groove, smoke a nice blunt.
You will do no such thing.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6319

lol phrozen

ya, i haven't been on xfire at all just kinda forgot about my elife and efriends true story
Sambuccashake
+126|6602|Sweden
Sometimes... But I prefer to have audio on so I can judge incoming fire by ear instead of waiting for the hit indicator followed by the "You are critically wounded" screen.
Phrozenbot
+632|6607|do not disturb

I only play music when I pilot a jet. Can't listen to friends on vent when you've got music.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

I can't play anything that concentrates on shooting stuff while listening to music. Casual CSS surfing works better with music though
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6586|Toronto-Canada
I play with no bf2 audio, sometimes i listen to music.
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5859|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I think it's boring when you can't hear the sound of the gun when you shoot
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6123|Scotland!
I play better with my teammates on ventrilo screaming in my ears for 4 rounds straight.

my mum's friends son is a gamer and he's deaf, he's pretty awful though
FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6444
I think I would find music highly distracting.  I always hated the music tracks in racing games like Gran Turismo and Forza....I turned them off.  In BF2, I use sounds to my advantage all the time.  As an example, just yesterday I was playing, and a tank was camping my runway.  After you die, you can still hear the ingame sounds while you are waiting to respawn.  I waited to respawn until I could tell from the sounds of the tank moving that he was of sufficient distance for me to spawn safely, and shoot him with AT, and maintain cover.  I also use it to detect the sound of Arty firing if I'm capping a flag alone, for instance.  I can also tell the direction infantry and vehicles are approaching from, which is very helpful as well.

KiL
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6123|Scotland!

FeedUsYourFetus wrote:

I think I would find music highly distracting.  I always hated the music tracks in racing games like Gran Turismo and Forza....I turned them off.  In BF2, I use sounds to my advantage all the time.  As an example, just yesterday I was playing, and a tank was camping my runway.  After you die, you can still hear the ingame sounds while you are waiting to respawn.  I waited to respawn until I could tell from the sounds of the tank moving that he was of sufficient distance for me to spawn safely, and shoot him with AT, and maintain cover.  I also use it to detect the sound of Arty firing if I'm capping a flag alone, for instance.  I can also tell the direction infantry and vehicles are approaching from, which is very helpful as well.

KiL
PM me and I'll send you some legal .con changes that'll let you hear 3x as far
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5922|Somewhere out in Space
Music makes me pr0 at the littlebird, true story.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6319

I'm Jamesey wrote:

I play better with my teammates on ventrilo screaming in my ears for 4 rounds straight.

i cant tell if your serious or not, but i for one cant stand random people screaming on voip, i can usually ask them once or twice to be quiet, if they dont shut up, i just leave the squad. It wouldn't be that bad with friends though.

It's true, I do like to hear game sounds as well, especially important ones like bullet sounds, or apc/tank sounds so you know where they are

also its great hearing the boats on OBP lol...

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

i agree fo shur, little bird is so fun.

in the end, i usually play with sounds on, but i guess for awhile there i was bored of the game sounds, and annoyed by the radio chatter from teammates/commander etc... yet surprised how well i did. thought there might be something to it.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6123|Scotland!

Mr.Dooomed wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

i cant tell if your serious or not, but i for one cant stand random people screaming on voip, i can usually ask them once or twice to be quiet, if they dont shut up, i just leave the squad. It wouldn't be that bad with friends though.

It's true, I do like to hear game sounds as well, especially important ones like bullet sounds, or apc/tank sounds so you know where they are

also its great hearing the boats on OBP lol...

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

i agree fo shur, little bird is so fun.

in the end, i usually play with sounds on, but i guess for awhile there i was bored of the game sounds, and annoyed by the radio chatter from teammates/commander etc... yet surprised how well i did. thought there might be something to it.
They're screaming useful stuff like "FUCK SAKE JAMESEY STOP SPAWNING GRENADE LAUNCHER YOU CAN'T AIM FOR SHIT WITH IT"

or "nice one james way to let them lurk behind you, shit bastard"
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6512|Polish state of EU
I play music only when new map is loading... Come on you cant be better by listening to music only! I mean ~1/10 of my kills are thanks to x-fi and decent headphones, you may hear running up to you spec-op when in tank or you can hear enemy coming and his direction when capturing a flag - its very useful
Hakei
Banned
+295|5986
I always listen to music when playing beef. I even listened to music in matches if I was in the jet/chopper.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6357|California

Hakei wrote:

I always listen to music when playing beef. I even listened to music in matches if I was in the jet/chopper.
lulz me too, i always turn on the music before i hop on vent/ts
I don't think there is one match where I haven't listened to music, music is amazing!
thepilot91
+64|6227|Åland!
I cant really play inf with my beloved trance on dunno why , guess I get to cocky and in the mood for killing so I just rush = get killed , but me + my f35b + my trance = sex
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6319

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

you may hear running up to you spec-op when in tank
wat? how can u hear anybody on foot when you're in a tank? I have an x-fi card too and headphones, yes they can help quite a bit but i can never hear a dude on foot when im in armor.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard