Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS
http://www.news.com.au/world/kfc-ad-lab … 5816554071

AN ad by KFC Australia showing a man giving fried chicken to West Indies fans has been labelled racist in the US.

In the "cricket survival guide" ad, an Australian fan named Mick asks viewers "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation?" after being surrounded by cheering West Indies fans.

He then shares a bucket of KFC chicken with fans around him to calm the situation.

Is this ad racist? Tell us below.

The video has caused a huge stir in the US after it was posted on YouTube. The ad has been seen by some in the US as a reference to racial stereotype that African Americans eat fried chicken.

Now:

1. What the fuck has this go to do with African Americans? Last time I checked, the West Indies (Jamaica, Barbabos et al) were NOT part of America and the people there were NOT the same as Americans.
2. Has no one in America ever been stuck amongst a crowd of loud opposition supporters? I can tell you, that IS an awkward situation.
3. How is this racist?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
1. West Indians =/= African Americans
2. African-Americans need to learn to understand Australian humour
3. Humour has a 'u' towards the end, same as STFU does.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6293|Washington St.
1)United States =/= America. A common misconception.

https://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7856/americamap.jpg

2) You are correct. Example: As a member of a college whos rival school is back in my home town, it's VERY awkward to wear my school colors when I go home.

3) Its only racist because it's stereotypical that black people like fried chicken. It would be the same if they were eating watermelon, sitting on a front step, drinking 40's, carrying hand guns, etc. So no, this ad JUST BY ITSELF is not racist, just the fact that stereotypes exist make it seem so.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6382|MN
No.  It is stupid to view it as such.  Now if they offered colared greens as well....
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Spark
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS

pirana6 wrote:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7856/americamap.jpg
I get your point but it is quite blatantly clear that this discussion involves only the US, and not Canada, Mexico, the WIndies etc.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

pirana6 wrote:

Wut?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

I asked this same Q in AU chat, they didn't think it was.

I do though, but only because I know the sterotype in the US of black Ameircan's eating watermelons and chicken.

If it were run in the US it would undoubtedly offend. Here though, we don't have that same steroetype so it might not be racist.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Never really understood why people get offended by stereotypes, everyone knows they are lame, if some dolt gets a kick out of labelling you who cares?

I'm a pom, I like beer with my curry and plump girls with bad teeth, goodnight.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Fuck these people are stupid.

Go watch a game of cricket before commenting... dumbshits.

Perfect example of American ignorance of other countries, cultures and sports.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

You forgot whingeing, you whingeing Pom!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

AussieReaper wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You forgot whingeing, you whingeing Pom!
That WAS a whinge, go back to your piss-water fizzy cocktail you call a beer.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6745|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
If it's so racist and offensive why did so many black people take part in the ad? So I dunno tbh, it's sport and there is always a wee extra jag when sport is concerned to annoy, otherwise whats the point?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

TBH, it shows the ignorance of the commentators to anything outside the US.

They refer to "African Americans". It's not an American ad, so nobody in the ad is "African American" most likely (kind of like people referring to the Nigerian guy who tried to blow up the plane on Christmas as "African American"...he was just African, ffs).

Now, had the guy with the chicken been black instead of white, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. I'm sure there's some kind of Aussie inside joke or something there.

BL: It comes down to the first thing I said. And the ironic thing is, those two probably think they are highly enlightened.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

TBH, it shows the ignorance of the commentators to anything outside the US.

They refer to "African Americans". It's not an American ad, so nobody in the ad is "African American" most likely (kind of like people referring to the Nigerian guy who tried to blow up the plane on Christmas as "African American"...he was just African, ffs).

Now, had the guy with the chicken been black instead of white, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. I'm sure there's some kind of Aussie inside joke or something there.

BL: It comes down to the first thing I said. And the ironic thing is, those two probably think they are highly enlightened.
Not really, it's just a KFC ad involving cricket and west indian supporters (who were down here a few weeks ago and are famed for being some of the most energetic and flamboyant supporters in the world - seriously, if any stereotype is being reinforced here it's a positive one)
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

So it's sort of "inside baseball" referring to something that was going on internal to Australia that pretty much nobody outside of the cricket world would get. Context ftw.

That's what those "enlightened" knuckleheads will never understand. "Racist...definitely" my hairy white ass. Fucking elitist wankers.

*off to check out comments on video*

EDIT: Wow...they are getting absolutely smoked! And rightly so.

Last edited by FEOS (2010-01-06 06:29:03)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK
Anyone who finds this racist is just massively ignorant of what is actually going on in the video.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

The ads were shown intermittently throughout the cricket, along with a number of other ads similar to this one with that same guy dealing with situations at a cricket match involving KFC, who are the major sponsors.

When taken out of context it's easy to find it racist. In the cricketing and Australian context it's far from racist.

But at the same time I can understand why some people would be offended, after having watched the 30 secs of this ad and nothing else supporting it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
Aussies and West Indies are friendly competative countries in cricket... Not racist at all... How about it's racist to assume the ad is racist because you reaffirm the racial stereotype.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13rin
+977|6481
Well....

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Also, if it had been a McDonalds ad, and he'd been handing out fries, would it still have been considered racist? I suppose in the US, a way around this would have been to stick a few white people in the crowds, but obviously most white people aren't from the West Indies.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
They could have done the exact same ad but with the poms. But alas, we weren't fucking playing the poms.

Ohh look another 'racist' commercial.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2010-01-06 07:47:48)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6738|Salt Lake City

Then I suppose the KFC buffalo wing add that has been running in my area is also racist because the main actor is black?  But wait, it must be different because it isn't fried chicken, but buffalo wings.  Whaaatever!
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

pirana6 wrote:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7856/americamap.jpg
lmao ace.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land
Holy crap that woman on the clip is a fuckin MORON. Who the fuck DOESN'T like fried chicken it fuckin tastes GOOD. You go to a cricket match that'd be a great way to make friends whether they're black white or fuckin purple or shit. Goddamn stupid fake racist bullshit. If only we had KFC in Finland.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

DrunkFace wrote:

They could have done the exact same ad but with the poms. But alas, we weren't fucking playing the poms.

Ohh look another 'racist' commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OidSD14mGE
I rather liked that. They've got it right, England is shit. Sort your spiders out and I'll be over on the next flight.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard