aimless
+166|6121|Texas
I have my good desktop computer upstairs in my room, it needs internet. I want to do wired but that would involve me crawling through tight spaces in the attic, drilling a lot of holes, and dropping a lot of wire.

How well will wireless internet work? The router is one floor directly below me. I will be the only computer using the wireless connection. I still play cod and bf2 occasionally, will there be any lag at all?

Router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833124284

PC:
e6750 @ 3.4GHz
2GB 800Mhz
9800GT
XP 32bit

Also, is this the right type of adapter?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833315078

Last edited by aimless (2010-01-02 13:35:24)

SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6135|New Jersey
It will be fine.  Wireless has gotten pretty damn good these days.  Wired is always preferable but in your situation it's just not worth it.
Wallpaper
+303|5990|The pool
If anything, N would be the way to go
baggs
+732|6200
As sceptical as i've always been about wireless, i've actually yet to have a bad experience. The PS3 runs on wireless and that seems to do just fine, Antonia's laptop runs on wireless and she never complains.

I use the BT Home Hub V2 and it seems pretty bulletproof, i understand it is a pretty good product anyway. FWIW, i live in a 3 year old apartment with underfloor heating and good insulation, the router is as far away from the PS3 as it could possibly be and it's fine.
aimless
+166|6121|Texas
I set everything up fine. Only three systems use the wireless connection, my desktop, the wii, and my mom's itouch. Whenever the wii or the itouch connect, my whole desktop lags out. I don't actually lose the connection though, it just drops everything. Is there a way to fix this? It's extremely frustrating.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6126|Carnoustie MASSIF
Did you not take homeplug into account?
aimless
+166|6121|Texas
Nope, does it work well?

It turns out the wii was causing interference with my signal. I'm going to have to drill some holes this weekend...
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6126|Carnoustie MASSIF

aimless wrote:

Nope, does it work well?
Yeah, it's seriously good, me, my dad, my two brothers all run it, it's never let us down except for a couple of times when we've had to reset the plugs, but it's a fantastic invention.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard