TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

Right, so, my car decided to die on me on Christmas eve (FML), figured i may as well ask you knowledgeable lot if you might know what's up with it before I roll it down to my cousins place tomorrow for a mess about. (FYI it's a Peugeot 206 1.9l diesel)

Basically it sounds rough as fuck even when it's sat still in neutral, try to pull away and it stalls unless you seriously fucking floor the gas and really gently let the clutch up, go any more than half way up with the clutch and it'll stall.

So to summarise, engine sounds rough as nails and it's massively down on power, my thinking is dead glow plug(s), piddly little diesel engine running on 3 cylinders would (I imagine) be noisy and powerless but, I know fuck all about cars :P

It had a small fuel leak a few days ago in the return fuel line, tiny job to fix but, it's making me consider the fuel lines as a possible culprit for problems too.

That's about the gist of it, I'd say merry Christmas but, obviously given my car's state, there is no god so Christmas is canceled :P
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6472|The Twilight Zone
No idea mate. Merry xmas!
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5807|Catherine Black
Checked the oil?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

Finray wrote:

Checked the oil?
First thing I did, it's fine.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6505|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
so the oils not creamy or low no?

Next thing would be to check the dash for lights, pretty sure on the pug cars theres a warning light on there for the glow plugs. Also if you've resealed the fuel lines your self are you sure you haven't caused a blockage? Also could be the fuel filter as i know its a long shot but when the fuel filter on my wagon at work was clogged it was running like a piece of crap,maybe check that.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

Oil is just below max when warm and clean as oil can be

Fuel filter was replaced  less than 6 months ago, fuel line was fixed at a garage, glow plug dash light goes off as normal after about 10-15 secs when ignition is in pre-start position, engine starts fine but as i said sound like a bag of shit.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
next course of action would be to check all the belts and pulleys, quite often they stretch or become dislodged, look for any freying around the edges.

If this doesnet help then i suggest you take it to a garage and let them look at it unless you have a friend whos a mechanic and runs his own garage like me
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

I have a cousin who knows a decent amount about cars, that's where I'm going tomorrow, the only belt that looked dodgy was the one going to the power steering thingy (i think thingy is it's technical name ) that belt has squeaked a bit for over 18 months but it has got a bit louder in the past couple of months or so, and it has a slight fray down one side but the steering is still perfectly fine.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
usually that belt runs more than one system, for example it may run your water pump aswell as other things within the engine, so if it is stretching although the steering is worse than it should be you may not have noticed as its gradgually got worse over time and other things within the engine are starting to fail now. Ask your cousin he might know more than us tbh
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6384|California
Just sell everything and buy a Bentley, everything will be okay.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Just sell everything and buy a Bentley, everything will be okay.
Ahh if only   If I wasn't forking out over 6k on other shit right now I'd probably just be ditching it for another car
Eifa
Never regret anything that ever made you smile.
+923|5890|00770
dunno but nice car anyway.
i drive a peugeot 406, 3.0l V6
No, I don't need an attitude adjustment. You just need to fuck off.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

Eifa wrote:

dunno but nice car anyway.
i drive a peugeot 406, 3.0l V6
Hehe, poor old thing has been great for 18 months but it's getting on a bit now, just gone over 250,000 miles this week >.<, engine is built like a tank but, even it has it's limits
Reciprocity
+721|6599|the dank(super) side of Oregon
possibly plugged exhaust.  Does it have some type of catalyst system?  did someone shove a potato up your cars ass?

possibly air in the fuel system or some other injection malfunction.  maybe the lift pump took a shit.  or your engine is simply fucked.

glow plugs wouldn't cause a running problem.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2009-12-25 14:07:30)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5769|شمال

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

So to summarise, engine sounds rough as nails and it's massively down on power, my thinking is dead glow plug(s), piddly little diesel engine running on 3 cylinders would (I imagine) be noisy and powerless but,
you mean Unit Injector? Maybe...cause glow plugs only matters at start up/cold temps, afaik

I know fuck all about cars
let a mechanic look at it
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

hawaythelads wrote:

usually that belt runs more than one system, for example it may run your water pump aswell as other things within the engine, so if it is stretching although the steering is worse than it should be you may not have noticed as its gradgually got worse over time and other things within the engine are starting to fail now. Ask your cousin he might know more than us tbh
Just been doing a little reading, that belt runs around the power steering pump, tensioner, alternator, lower idler pulley, crank shaft and upper idler pulley in that order if that's relevant at all.

Beduin wrote:

So to summarise, engine sounds rough as nails and it's massively down on power, my thinking is dead glow plug(s), piddly little diesel engine running on 3 cylinders would (I imagine) be noisy and powerless but,
you mean Unit Injector? Maybe...cause glow plugs only matters at start up/cold temps, afaik

I know fuck all about cars
let a mechanic look at it
I have no intention of trying to fix anything myself I just want some ideas of what could have gone wrong to speed things up tomorrow, I did see some stuff about the injector system being a possible cause, and fortunatly I can pick up a set of injectors for about £40 so if it is that I'll be happy.

Reciprocity wrote:

possibly plugged exhaust.  Does it have some type of catalyst system?  did someone shove a potato up your cars ass?

possibly air in the fuel system or some other injection malfunction.  maybe the lift pump took a shit.  or your engine is simply fucked.

glow plugs wouldn't cause a running problem.
It did have a cat, I had it de-catted as the old one was fucked and a pipe chucked on as it was a lot cheaper, it's legal for diesels not petrols before anyone says

bunged exhaust would cause it to die when idle after a while would it not?

Would our unseasonally cold weather have possibly caused a fault with the injectors?

Also with regards to the glow plugs, would a failed plug on one cylinder not cause it to fire up all but that cylinder, thus starting the engine but making it run like POS?

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-12-25 14:19:03)

woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6749|sunderland england
diesels run shit with air in the fuel system can you check if it has an air leak in any of the pipes or filter
it might be sucking air into its system im not a mechanic but i do work in a garage
BTW glow plugs are only needed for starting they pre heat the diesel prior to starting

Last edited by woodrot (2009-12-25 14:54:38)

Reciprocity

Also with regards to the glow plugs, would a failed plug on one cylinder not cause it to fire up all but that cylinder, thus starting the engine but making it run like POS?
glow plugs only help a cold engine by heating the air in the cylinder prior to compression.  The heat generated to ignite diesel fuel comes from pre-compression air volume of the cylinder being compressed to about 1/20 the volume on the compression stroke.  the engine does not rely on glow plugs to run, they only help get the cycle started.
woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6749|sunderland england

Reciprocity wrote:

glow plugs only help a cold engine by heating the air in the cylinder prior to compression.  The heat generated to ignite diesel fuel comes from pre-compression air volume of the cylinder being compressed to about 1/20 the volume on the compression stroke.  the engine does not rely on glow plugs to run, they only help get the cycle started.
correct
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6248|NSW, Australia

Id say you have an injector faulty, Im not familiar with peugots, but if you can easily get to the injector plugs, unplug one, if it gets worse, that one is ok,

do it on all 4 cylinders, and if you unplug one and it stays the same, then theres your problem. could be the injector, or the lead, but i doubt it would be the lead
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6639|Mhz

Reciprocity wrote:

Hairy muff, I'll count that one out then

Nappy wrote:

Id say you have an injector faulty, Im not familiar with peugots, but if you can easily get to the injector plugs, unplug one, if it gets worse, that one is ok,

do it on all 4 cylinders, and if you unplug one and it stays the same, then theres your problem. could be the injector, or the lead, but i doubt it would be the lead
Access looks pretty simple, just a cosmetic cover to remove and it's right there so I'll give that a bash.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-12-25 15:22:24)

Reciprocity

Nappy wrote:

most diesel injectors aren't controlled electronically,  but if they are, don't fuck with them if you don't know what you're doing, many use high AC voltage to operate. It will fuck you up.
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6681|The Outer Circle
Injectors, clogged exhaust, dirty air filter.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

Right, so, my car decided to die on me on Christmas eve (FML), figured i may as well ask you knowledgeable lot if you might know what's up with it before I roll it down to my cousins place tomorrow for a mess about. (FYI it's a Peugeot 206 1.9l diesel)

Basically it sounds rough as fuck even when it's sat still in neutral, try to pull away and it stalls unless you seriously fucking floor the gas and really gently let the clutch up, go any more than half way up with the clutch and it'll stall.

So to summarise, engine sounds rough as nails and it's massively down on power, my thinking is dead glow plug(s), piddly little diesel engine running on 3 cylinders would (I imagine) be noisy and powerless but, I know fuck all about cars

It had a small fuel leak a few days ago in the return fuel line, tiny job to fix but, it's making me consider the fuel lines as a possible culprit for problems too.

That's about the gist of it, I'd say merry Christmas but, obviously given my car's state, there is no god so Christmas is canceled
Thats what you get for driving a eurofag car.

Buy a chevy. Dont they have chevy's over there?
15 more years! 15 more years!
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6508|Gogledd Cymru

Mitch wrote:

Thats what you get for driving a eurofag car.

Buy a chevy. Dont they have chevy's over there?
Mitch giving advice on cars, lol.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard