Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5277|San Angelo, TX
A few things I need enlightenment on:

1: I was watching Band of Brothers a few days ago and it was the episode where Wild Bill and Joe Toy lose their legs.  Now, earlier in the episode Hoobler shot himself in the leg, severed the artery and bled to death in a matter of minutes.  Later when Joe and Bill are hit by the arty shell, their legs are blown practically all the way off, thus severing the artery right?  Why didn't Joe and Bill bleed out and die?  The WHOLE leg is gone, the artery is definitely severed, yet they bled very little.  Hoobler takes a tiny bullet and is gone nearly instantly.

2:  Why is it that only people who operate computers and people who consume drugs are called "users"?  We "use" lots of things everyday, yet in these instances we are called "consumers".

3: Why is it that car insurance is the only thing I can think of that is mandatory to purchase for something that [/b]might[/b] happen?  You might get hurt and need medical, but it is not mandatory, your house may burn down, but home insurance is not mandatory.  you may say it is for the other persons protection but I would say to you that when jumping out of a plane a parachute is not legally mandatory yet your body may injure someone on the ground.  So what gives.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Well... it's the Jews
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
1) when you lose a limb, the muscle remnants contract up, pinching the arteries closed so you don't die.  This doesn't happen with puncture wounds.

2) because you don't consume a computer?

3) because you might hit somebody else, but you can't cancer somebody else.  The odds of hitting someone while jumping out of a plane are extremely low
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
1: If I remember right the wound was cauterized from the blast that time. I could be wrong.

2: Users for drug is slang. I don't really see where you get this one, because in every other instance we usually use "user" not "consumer".

3: It's not mandatory. It's just that you have to either have proof of car insurance or proof that you have something like $30k sitting in the bank to cover any of your possible fuckups. (you Texan you anyways)
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
1.) heat of the explosion can burn the wound closed again by instantly making something like a scab...made of melted flesh. You're going to die, but perhaps not as quickly.
2.) Consumer implies something you choose to use, but is viewed in positive light, while 'user' connotes something negative.- totally my opinion. You're right though, they are  largely synonyms.
3.) car accidents are the most likely way to cause substantial damage to another person or their property. Falling out of planes is not.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?

oohh - this can be like Tmo's thread - "ask an idiot user anything" . . .
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6742|OctoLand
I can endarken you loooooooool
I know fucking karate
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5754|Roma

Mekstizzle wrote:

Well... it's the Jews
I agree.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

burnzz wrote:

why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?

oohh - this can be like Tmo's thread - "ask an idiot user anything" . . .
That's an easy answer around here: you're likely to travel farther on your driveway than you are on any of the parkways.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6596|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

aerodynamic wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Well... it's the Jews
I agree.
probably high time for another extermination.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

3: It's not mandatory. It's just that you have to either have proof of car insurance or proof that you have something like $30k sitting in the bank to cover any of your possible fuckups.
It's mandatory here. Reason, most other forms of insurance are insuring you or your own property. The mandatory car insurance covers any damages you cause to other people but not your own vehicle or injuries.

Also superannuation is compulsory.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

A lot of (if not all) home loans require you to purchase homeowners insurance.  It's to protect the investment.  Most states require car insurance because insurance companies lobbied the government to enact laws requiring it, much like mandatory seatbelt laws.  Some states don't, but then any car loan you get requires insurance for the same reason as a home loan does.
kn0ckahh
+98|6739|netherlands, sweet lake city
3: If you crash with your car it's likely that you'll cause a lot of damage (=money) to others. You can choose not to insure what happens to yourself but in a car collision the insurance has to pay the damage you cause, if you wouldn't be insured and you crash into someone's ferrari you can't pay the repair costs, you would go to jail and the ferrari owner wouldn't get his ferrari back.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
yeah, its illegal to drive in Massachusetts without car insurance.
Flaming_Maniac

DrunkFace wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

3: It's not mandatory. It's just that you have to either have proof of car insurance or proof that you have something like $30k sitting in the bank to cover any of your possible fuckups.
It's mandatory here. Reason, most other forms of insurance are insuring you or your own property. The mandatory car insurance covers any damages you cause to other people but not your own vehicle or injuries.

Awesome, it's not here, and he lives here.

The money is to pay for the other person. You have to have the minimum amount of insurance or that same minimum amount of cash sitting in the bank.

I wonder how well you guys know your state/national laws. Of course everyone says "it's illegal to drive in Texas without car insurance" which is practically true but technically false. Even if you have the cash it doesn't make sense not to get an insurance plan, so that's how 99% of people satisfy the requirement, but you don't HAVE to have car insurance.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A lot of (if not all) home loans require you to purchase homeowners insurance.
mortgage insurance - we just dropped ours, as we are now vested.

proof of car insurance - here it's liability. i carry the full load, as the number of uninsured drivers increase daily . . .
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5277|San Angelo, TX

Pochsy wrote:

1.) heat of the explosion can burn the wound closed again by instantly making something like a scab...made of melted flesh. You're going to die, but perhaps not as quickly.
Right, but if a bullet is severing the artery, why wouldn't the heat of the bullet sear the artery shut?  If you lost a limb in an atry strike odds are that it's shrapnel severing your leg, not the explosion itself because if you were close enough to the actual explosion to lose a leg from it you would lose alot more than a leg.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Awesome, it's not here, and he lives here.

The money is to pay for the other person. You have to have the minimum amount of insurance or that same minimum amount of cash sitting in the bank.

I wonder how well you guys know your state/national laws. Of course everyone says "it's illegal to drive in Texas without car insurance" which is practically true but technically false. Even if you have the cash it doesn't make sense not to get an insurance plan, so that's how 99% of people satisfy the requirement, but you don't HAVE to have car insurance.
You can't register your vehicle without a green slip (3rd party insurance).

A greenslip or compulsory third party insurance (CTP) is a legal requirement for vehicles registered in NSW.To register your vehicle you must have a green slip.

Your greenslip covers injury to other people when your vehicle is involved in an accident.

Your greenslip does not cover damage to property, other vehicles or to your vehicle, nor does the greenslip cover theft. Insurance for those occurences is obtained through different policies, which you should consider taking out.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Drunkface, he (Flamer) specifically said "in Texas".  It differs from state to state, country to country.
Flaming_Maniac

Iconic Irony wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Right, but if a bullet is severing the artery, why wouldn't the heat of the bullet sear the artery shut?  If you lost a limb in an atry strike odds are that it's shrapnel severing your leg, not the explosion itself because if you were close enough to the actual explosion to lose a leg from it you would lose alot more than a leg.
The bullet can't transfer enough energy in that short amount of time to cauterize the wound. Explosions can do that.

I mean I know for a fact that it does happen in explosions, I just don't know if that's what happened for sure in this instance. If it's all black that's what happened.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Drunkface, he (Flamer) specifically said "in Texas".  It differs from state to state, country to country.
"I wonder how well you guys know your state/national laws."
His example was Texas his statement was universal.

As for number 1. The body would have gone into shock which reduced blood flow especially to the extremities.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-12-18 11:11:13)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Iconic Irony wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I'll say that it's more likely that the shrapnel is hotter than the bullet given the distance and intensity of the explosion which propels it, but I can't prove this and am only speculating.
Flaming_Maniac

DrunkFace wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

"I wonder how well you guys know your state/national laws."
His example was Texas his statement was universal.
And it very well may be that way. The point is all the state cares about is that you have some way to come up with the money if you're in an accident, but why they care how you come up with that money (unless they are in cahoots with the insurance companies) I don't know.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
Both Joe Tory and Will Bill were badasses.  In fact, both prolly could kick Chuck Norris' ass with their invisible legs.

Hope that helps.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat

Pochsy wrote:

Iconic Irony wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I'll say that it's more likely that the shrapnel is hotter than the bullet given the distance and intensity of the explosion which propels it, but I can't prove this and am only speculating.
well if the metal from the shell was hot enough it could have seared the arteries shut.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard