CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6128|Carnoustie MASSIF
Kinda got a bit of a problem. As some of you know I'm due to be shipped off to Basic Training for the Navy in March, but as it stands, I'm having second thoughts about going. My reasoning for this is that I'm still 19, therefore I'm still pretty young. Also, I haven't got much of an education under my belt, which can be seen as one of the reasons that I joined the Navy.

I'm thinking about going into the AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office), and speaking to someone about not going atm, and if that'll hurt my chances of joining up in the future, in say 3-5 years time.

I'm considering going back to college to get an education, considering business management, as I dropped out of the course last year, which was a really stupid thing to do. Then probably go on to Uni to do something there that I enjoy, possibly Economics.

So I come to D&ST, 'cause if I was to post this in EE I'd get flamed (hurr durr your an idiot failure and you can't do anything), you know, that sort of thing. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice, and help me out, since you're all aged, wise men with years of life experience under your inflated waste lines

Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
It won't hurt your chances in 3-5 years at all, they'll understand. So I'm gathering you wish to do Business management and then join the Navy in a few years, but is that as the same job choice as now, or as officer, etc? Why not join the Navy, do basic and do a management course whilst serving? I think it's 300 quid a year per person that they'll pay to help you get a qualification for resettlement. That's after basic though, in basic I think you only have the option to get an NVQ in public services.

Depends on your financial status too, if you have outgoings that EMA and loans can't help then go for the Navy job, if you're gonna be okay then both options are feasible.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6719|Sydney, Australia
As Jord said, if you get your degree do you think you would want to join up as an Officer?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Navy would teach you how not to set your face on fire with a condom. JK

But seriously, join the armed forces. I have a buddy who has pretty good grades and he's joining the Canadian military. British military pays pretty well too I think, Navy wouldn't be a bad career choice considering the experience and discipline that you will gain.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

Honestly I think you should keep going with the military. They'll straighten you out right quick.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

CammRobb wrote:

Kinda got a bit of a problem. As some of you know I'm due to be shipped off to Basic Training for the Navy in March, but as it stands, I'm having second thoughts about going. My reasoning for this is that I'm still 19, therefore I'm still pretty young. Also, I haven't got much of an education under my belt, which can be seen as one of the reasons that I joined the Navy.

I'm thinking about going into the AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office), and speaking to someone about not going atm, and if that'll hurt my chances of joining up in the future, in say 3-5 years time.

I'm considering going back to college to get an education, considering business management, as I dropped out of the course last year, which was a really stupid thing to do. Then probably go on to Uni to do something there that I enjoy, possibly Economics.

So I come to D&ST, 'cause if I was to post this in EE I'd get flamed (hurr durr your an idiot failure and you can't do anything), you know, that sort of thing. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice, and help me out, since you're all aged, wise men with years of life experience under your inflated waste lines

Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
You are not wasting your life or time by joining. Serving will help you mature and grow and prepare you for further education. The one thing that does bother me with your post is the fact that you are only "considering" going back to school. Please have a direction before you give up on the military.

Last edited by lowing (2009-12-11 12:14:32)

2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6774

lowing wrote:

Please have a direction before you give up on the military.
Well said.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

2tuff wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well said.
I have my moments
13rin
+977|6477

lowing wrote:

2tuff wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well said.
I have my moments
This.  Sleep on it.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
CammRobb
Banned
I'm all for sleeping on it, I have until March.

I want to stay and experience a bit more, I still have friends, family, a girlfriend that would all be deeply missed if I left. I also want to do the whole 'student life' thing, as I've kinda been there before, and it's fun.

I'm wanting to go back to college/uni 'cause I was thinking I could join in a few years time as an officer, and this would guarantee me more money, etc.

One of the things that's holding me back atm is admitting I'm having second thoughts to my Dad, he wanted to see me doing something with my life, and I kinda feel like I'd let him down if I backed out now.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

CammRobb wrote:

I want to stay and experience a bit more, I still have friends, family, a girlfriend that would all be deeply missed if I left. I also want to do the whole 'student life' thing, as I've kinda been there before, and it's fun.

I'm wanting to go back to college/uni 'cause I was thinking I could join in a few years time as an officer, and this would guarantee me more money, etc.

One of the things that's holding me back atm is admitting I'm having second thoughts to my Dad, he wanted to see me doing something with my life, and I kinda feel like I'd let him down if I backed out now.
If you were in school, you would be doing something with your life. Giving up on the military, only to party and hang out with your friends and girlfriend would be the let down.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

lowing wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

If you were in school, you would be doing something with your life. Giving up on the military, only to party and hang out with your friends and girlfriend would be the let down.
Check out the spam in EE. He won't be able to respond for 3 weeks.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
Why would they be "deeply missed" if you left when you can go home like 90% of weekends after the first 6 weeks?
Oh you're banned, will just reply through the medium of brotherly physchic messages.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

How long are you thinking about being in the military?

Over here, 90% of all guys spend a year or two in the military right after High School, and then move on to uni. Over those years you (might) build maturity and motivation for further studies. So if you're unsure, I'd do a year in the military, and hopefully come back as a "new" and motivated person for uni (and you'll still be young enough for the "student life").
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5748|شمال
I would say go to school and get a degree.

Forget the military, it is BS! Life/education can give you much more.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6647
You've got to think long and hard about your future plans Cammrobb but don't let nerves entirely sway your decision.

University has been a life changing experience which I've thoroughly enjoyed. I've matured, become more independent and loved my course. YOU on the other hand must think long and hard about furthering your education if you've already dropped out once before. Surely this was for a reason and if you are going to sacrifice your naval career be absolutely certain that you'll take your education seriously so that you don't waste your time thinking about what you could have done.

Sounds to me like you're having doubts because your a little too comfortable at home and I can assure you this entirely normal. Before I started university and moved over to England, I was having second thoughts right up to the start. It even got to the point where I wanted to do my law degree in Oslo rather than over here. As it stands I have few regrets. There are days I wish perhaps I'd stayed on in Norway to stay in my comfort zone and days when I'm glad I came out of it. Sure, you have a girlfriend, friends, family, etc where you currently live but let me assure you that you will eventually have to grow up and leave the nest.

I'd say pick university over the navy because you'll get a career and give yourself more options in civilian life. HOWEVER, bear in mind you've dropped out of education before and at times it gets fucking dull. The difference between you and I is that I can cope with the boredom that comes with slaving over complicated texts without wanting to drop out...you on the other hand have to consider whether its what you really want since you obviously didn't enjoy it before!

...and remember this..The grass is always greener on the other side

EDIT: Don't be afraid to tell your father how you feel. It's your life not his.

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2009-12-12 03:36:59)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

How long are you obligated to serve for if you sign up? I have considered doing a year or two in the Navy after uni mostly because you'd get to travel and I think it'd be great experience.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
He's banned for 3 weeks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
CammRobb
Banned
Yay, unbanned. Thought I'd give y'all an update.

I've bit the bullet, and I'm going to fucking well do it. Put all my fears aside. My girlfriends completely beside me, all the way through, and I have no doubts she'll stick to that.

2 months, 3 days to go

Thanks for all the advice gents.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CammRobb wrote:

I've bit the bullet, and I'm going to fucking well do it. Put all my fears aside. My girlfriends completely beside me, all the way through, and I have no doubts she'll stick to that.

2 months, 3 days to go

Don't count on it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5700|College Park, MD

JohnG@lt wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

2 months, 3 days to go

Don't count on it.
you're such an optimistic feller
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

2 months, 3 days to go

Don't count on it.
you're such an optimistic feller
Experienced.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5700|College Park, MD
Did you get a "Dear John"?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Did you get a "Dear John"?
Yep. 7 page long letter in basic training. And I lost a fiance when I deployed to Iraq. 2 for 2.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-01-05 06:51:51)

-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
same shit when you leave 'sweethearts' behind to move to university for fulltime study

minus the jihadists and the imposing threat of your own death

Last edited by Uzique (2010-01-05 07:57:49)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard